My daughter got accepted to college

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Not UT, but a small two-year women's school up in Nevada, Missouri called Cottey College The Link. She's all excited, not only was this her first choice, it was pretty much her only choice (despite attempts and pleas by my wife and me for her to have backups...).

She fell in love with this place from the moment she came across it at a college night her Junior year in HS.

I'd never heard of it before then, but from all the research we did, it seems to be a pretty good little (300 or so students...) school. It does a very good job of placing it's grads in 4-year schools to finish up. It's also very well supported by a devoted group of alumni and other what you could call "friends of the school" Called the PEO.

Siiiggghhhh..... It just seems like it's too soon for her to be in college. And I certainly don't feel like I'm old enough to have a college kid.

But I am excited for her. [​IMG]

2. Longhorn_in_LA

Longhorn_in_LA 100+ Posts

Congrats!

I loved my experience at UT and wouldn't change it for the world, but sometimes wonder what it would have been like to go to a small school in a smaller town. Sounds like a place she wants to be, so best of luck to her.

3. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

Congrats! My son is off to UT and I know exactly how you feel about not feeling old enough for him to be off to college.

Damn, how time just flies.

4. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

First off, Congratulations.

Secondly, I've never heard of Nevada, Missouri and I've probably done that highway between Carthage & Harrisonville about 20-30 times. Of course, I don't think I was ever the one behind the wheel. Maybe I was even sleeping in the back.

Well once again, congratulations. If it's what she wanted then great. And if it turns out that she doesn't like it, well she's only there for 2 years.

[​IMG]

5. congrats!

only place that took me was south harmon institute of technology.

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

At least you got a degree that was worth a S.H.I.T., goo. [​IMG]

Congrats to your daughter, jmatt. It's cool she got the one place she was aiming for.

7. deloney

deloney < 25 Posts

A girl I went to high school with went to Cottey College. She loved it. She went to UT afterwards for her bachelors. [​IMG]

Congrats to your daughter.

8. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations! I have two daughters that are college graduates and that gives you a very good feeling - though it was really sad when they left home. You just advance into a new form of your family life and it's not bad once you accept it. Each stage gets better and better, in fact.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

9. HornzUp

HornzUp < 25 Posts

congrats!

Just remember getting in is the easy part. Actually graduating is quite a bit tougher but just push her and remind her of that when shes down.

10. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

My son is at LSU right now and he loves it. It is weird having the oldest go away to school... but its also kind of nice too!

11. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

There wasn't one single four year univeristy that she cared to even apply to? That seems odd.

Maybe it's the Longhorn in me, but spending 2 years in Nevada, Missouri (pop. 1,500) with 300 other classmates doesn't really seem like "college". It seems like a hideout for girls who aren't ready to grow up and face the real world.

Then again, maybe that's the perfect place for some people. It's not like I'm one to talk. I graduated UT in 1991 and haven't really "grown up" since then. I still live like I'm a recent college graduate.

I'm just glad I live in a time and place where we all get to choose our own adventures.

Bernard

12. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

She's visited and/or toured several places: UT, Tech, St.Eds, Baylor, Mary Hardin Baylor, Southwestern, Texas State, a&m, and a couple or three others, plus took a couple of classes at ACC the last couple of summers.

She decided early on that she wanted to be away from family and friends and on her own, and didn't want to get caught up in a huge campus at the same time, with all the distractions and pressures and stuff that comes with that.

Aparently, she thought this was perfect. Small town (but close to a large city with lots of fun and cultural stuff), small school, good academics, and GREAT student-teacher ratio. It being an all-girl school was an attraction also, which surprised me just a bit.

She says she wants to bear down and get good grades and participate in school events and functions. She thinks it will be easier to be involved in clubs and organizations in the smaller school.

She then wants to come back closer to home to a larger four-year school to finish. TT, Texas, Texas State, and UTSA being her top choices as of right now, I think in that order.

13. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Remember it's Nuh-VAY-duh, Missouri.