My dog hates one neighbor

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by NEWDOC2002, May 23, 2010.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

I have an Australian Shepherd (small one) and he's overall a great dog. He lets people into the house and gets along with small kids, other dogs, etc.

I have one neighbor the dog has grown to hate and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. He will bark and lunge at a field fence between the property. I have not seen him do this to any other person at my neighbor's beside the man.

My neighbor tells me today that my dog is "psychotic", that we can't see his aggressive behavior and then he comes up with some remote story about how my dog bit him about three months ago when he got out of the yard. This is the first time he told me this. The dog doesn't get out anymore. I've got a large area fenced for the dog. He goes on to tell me that someone has beaten the dog with a board because he accelerated his aggression when he picked up a board on his side of the fence.

I cannot prove that my neighbor did anything to my dog. He's retired so I'm not at home but I have seen the neighbor at the fence in his storage shed (He claims he can't go to the shed because the barking although he's in it a lot.)

My worry is that the neighbor is setting me up. I wouldn't put it past him to "damage" the fence enough to allow my dog out to set up a liability case or just to shoot him and claim he was on his property and threatening him.

Hate to get rid of the dog because he is a family pet, can't reliably move the dog kennel because property is not set up to move to other side. At this point I don't care about the dog barking at him because he's managed to be an *** about a few other things already. I've considered putting up a privacy fence but the dog's contained already.

Thoughts? Advice?

2. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

3. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

I love my dogs enough that I'd put up the privacy fence ... just on his side to drive the point home.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would be paranoid that he tries to poison the dog or something. Put up a privacy fence, bolster the fence area to ensure that the dog does not get out. Be nice to him and tell him you are taking steps to ease the situation and you are sorry he has been inconvenienced but between the two of you a resolve can be found. Basically kiss his butt to ensure the safety of the dog and do your part in being a good neighbor in case push comes to shove.

First and foremost comes the safety of the dog. That's my .02.

5. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I'd send in the Mamba's...

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Your dog is a better judge of character than people are. There are "bad vibrations" coming from this man. Do not trust him in any way.
    I had a labrador retriever who loved all people, delivery men, mailmen, everyone, except three people over the years. His fur would raise up around these people, and he would make a low growl. The first two turned out to be low-life scumbags. One stole things from me, the second tried to put the make on my first wife behind my back and she was irate about it.
    The third, years later, was a woman co-worker who came home with my then girl-friend for lunch one day, and the dog didn't like her, same thing. I watched her the whole time they were there, then later forbid my girlfriend from ever bringing the woman into the house again.
    That dog knew something somehow that I didn't. Maybe yours is the same way, or maybe the guy teased or did something to your dog, but either way you should build the privacy fence so the dog doesn't see him and vica versa.

7. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

I think I'll put up the fence and show that I've taken steps to appease the neighbor and secure the dog. I rechecked the fence last night and my dog wasn't even close to getting through the fence. I've already buried chicken wire along the bottom so he won't dig either. Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the poison issue.

My neighbor has blown this way out of proportion but he is the prototypical grumpy old man next door who has to try really hard to be friendly. His wife, although very submissive, is sweet as pie. Go figure.

8. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Privacy fence. And check it regularly.

If you notice your dog acting strangely in any way, straight to the vet with him. Take no chances.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Newdoc, that seems to be the way it goes with these people, right? One grumpy and mean and the other super sweet. Weird.

Think for a moment about how utterly miserable this man is within his own skin. He has to wake up each day and look at himself in the mirror. He is so messed up inside that he projects it onto the world and people around him. That must suck. He thrives on getting reactions out of people. He loves the conflict and bringing people down to his level.

Confucious say man who slings mud loses ground.

Your doing the fence and doing things not necessarily for the man but for the dog's safety is the way to go. The man thinks he won and showed you who is boss. You are the better man and a great friend to your family's four-legged friend who does not know what is going on. You are the man here.

10. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Have you tried arranging a meeting for your dog and neighbor, possibly in neutral territory? Dogs know what their boundaries are, and what is considered the home, and people coming up close to their territory could release some defensive behavior. It's not uncommon for dogs to go a little crazy at the man on other side of the fence. Talk to your neighbor and arrange a time for them to meet. Then take your dog on a leash out to the street, or your neighbors front porch. Act calm; when you are calm, they will be calm, let your dog know the dude is not a danger. Give the neighbor some treats before hand so he can give some to your dog.

11. accuratehorn

Great idea, GHoward. And tie some hotdogs around the neighbor's neck prior to the meeting.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

To illustrate my point in my earlier post, Accuratehorn's wife is a wonderfully sweet and kind lady.

13. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps you should just beep your neighbor's nose, throw a Coke on him, and then walk across his lawn.

14. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

When the dog barks at him while you are outside, loudly issue the command "Find the bodies boy! Where are the bodies? Sniff 'em out! Good dog!"

That goes along with the general strategy: Admit nothing, deny everything, make wild counter-accusations.

15. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

It sounds to me the neighbor has shown aggression to your dog and your dog remembers it. I have seen a shih tzu and a cocker spaniel go after german shepard for no apparent reason until the past history came out.

16. Doughbroz

Doughbroz 250+ Posts

A dog will never forget someone who teased or abused them. Plus, I doubt the dog has any reason to lie. My money is on the mutt.

17. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

You can get a fake video camera online for 30 bucks. That ought to take care of the ornery neighbor.

18. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I would beat him. And if that didn't work look into doing something on your end, like try talking to your dog. .

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am glad that somebody finally offered up beating the man.

20. accuratehorn

Is this guy named Barry Switzer, per chance?

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Why, you want to volunteer to administer said beat down of him?

22. accuratehorn

It would be a long line, like the volunteers to quiet the hysterical woman in Airplane.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Are you now suggesting I speak jive?