My dog sheds a LOT

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by atxbaby, Apr 9, 2009.

1. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations on controlling shedding. I think I had heard something about certain dog foods that can help with shedding - or maybe I dreamt that?

I bought a shampoo that is supposed to help, but I haven't seen any results yet. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

If your dog doesn't mind being combed, there is a comb called the FURminator. You can get it at pet stores and probably at most vets. It's pricey - about $40 - but it gets an unbelievable amount of fur especially the undercoat, which most combs or brushes miss. A few of my cats don't like it, but it really works great.

3. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

The furminator os the way...

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I had one and lent it to a friend it was so good. He loved it and then moved, forgetting to give it back. Just today I realized I should go buy another one. They are awesome.

I would like to take a moment to suggest you go buy it at a local pet store if you can, rather than a box store like Petsmart or Petco. If you are in Austin I also suggest, Bark n Purr.

5. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

get a poodle [​IMG]

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Poodle's eat dog fur?

7. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

occasionally, when they get in a scrap

8. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Tear out all your wall-to-wall carpet and install tile floors.

9. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

My dog was shedding like crazy and someone on here (Smurfette?) mentioned that one of her dogs was allergic to corn gluten meal and it made her shed a lot. I checked my dog's food and it was listed as the second or third ingredient. I switched to Costco/Kirkland dog food, and also started supplementing with fish oil stuff (got it at Petco, it's in the grooming aisle by the vitamins and stuff). I've noticed a HUGE difference (switched about two months ago, it took a couple weeks to notice improvement). And I also use the furminator, definitely get one of those. Good luck!

10. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

my jack russell terrier was shedding really bad on his lower forelegs and hindquarters and his skin (normally light pink) looked red and irritated. on the advice of my dog's Aggie Vet, started feeding him Nutro dry lamb and rice dog food, his coat and skin improved tremendously in a couple of weeks.

11. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

yes, definitely furminate and use the omega3 fatty pills (fish oil). this has been discussed before, as whosehouse mnetioned. i recommended the furminator and fish pills back then, and do now too.

the furminator helps immensely with removing the dog's undercoat. the type of dog you have will determine how much/little you'll need to use the brush. the thicker the coat, the more frequent you can expext to furminate. i fruminate my chow/cattle dog mix at least 2-3 times a month. last time i did it was this past weekend. i brushed her for about 10 minutes and removed enough hair to make another dog.

the fish pills help with the dog's skin and controls shedding.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Keep your A/C set at 55 degrees, and you won't have this problem.