My Essay on Texas AM

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by TheGallopinGoose, Jan 3, 2007.

1. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

For the longest time, I (as well as many others) have wondered just why Aggies act the way they act or why they do certain things or have certain traditions that are considered “old fashioned,” “outdated,” or just plain odd. With this essay, I hope to explore some of the factors that have led to what could be called the “Aggie mindset”- more specifically, the Aggies’ hatred of The University of Texas at Austin and their heavy emphasis on traditions and the military. In short, I hope to answer three questions:

1. What is the “Spirit of Aggieland?”
    2. What caused it to come about?
    3. And is it really as special as Aggies would like the general public to believe?

The Mindset of Texas A&M University

Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College was founded in 1876, thanks mostly to the Morril Act, which provided for the donation of public land to create colleges where the “leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and mechanical arts...in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life” (other universities such as Auburn, Nebraska, and Ohio State were founded in this manner). One can already see the foundation of A&M’s traits laid in place: agriculture, the mechanical arts, and the military. However, the early faculty at A&M decided to break from this prompt and decided to teach a more general curriculum, including classical studies, languages, literature, and applied mathematics. However, local farmer groups demanded to see the return of agriculture, mechanical arts, and the military, as well as the departure of the current faculty; the Texas State Legislature granted both requests. This event set a precedent that continues to this very day: influential people at the university resisting change and demanding the continuation of traditions. There are several examples of this demand for continuity in recent years: During the construction of the Bernard C. Richardson Zone at Kyle Field, many Aggies were upset that the creation of “the Zone” would prevent the deceased Reveille mascots from “looking” from their graves into the stadium to watch the Aggies play. Also, in 2001, A&M boosters threatened to withhold funds because they feared that a newly-formed competition cheerleading squad would encroach on the long-standing authority of the A&M Yell Leaders. Finally, in the months following the tragic collapse of the 1999 A&M Bonfire, A&M partisans lobbied heavily to keep the bonfire as a sanctioned A&M activity, despite the death of twelve students as well as several injuries.

So, why is it that Aggies try to remain steadfast in their ways despite the belief that their practices are considered outdated and peculiar by many? The answer can be found in the very principles on which the university was founded. The Morril Act called for “military tactics […] agriculture and mechanical arts,” and the local farmer groups of the time demanded these three things and nothing more. Besides, as a college (that is, a branch) of The University of Texas System at the time, A&M only had to provide military training, agriculture, and the mechanical arts. The Lubbock branch (now Texas Tech University) provided technological studies, the Galveston branch (still a member of The University of Texas System) provided medical studies, and the head of the system (The University of Texas at Austin) provided general studies. So, for the better part of 80 years, A&M never had to change much. It was not until the 1960’s under the direction of then-A&M President James Earl Rudder that A&M made the transition from an all-male military college in The University of Texas System with an enrollment of about 7,500 to a co-ed university, “independent” of The University of Texas System, with an enrollment of about 14,000 (A&M currently has the 7th-largest enrollment in the United States with 45,487 students- by contrast, The University of Texas at Austin has the 5th-largest enrollment in the U.S. with 49,738 students). It was also not until 1963 that women had the opportunity to attend classes at A&M, although only the wives and daughters of faculty were allowed. By 1965, the university was open to all women. In addition, the first African-American did not enroll at A&M until 1964. Today, A&M is not as racially diverse as other universities (only 24% of students at A&M are of an ethnicity other than white- by contrast, 45% of students at The University of Texas at Austin are of an ethnicity other than white), which leads A&M detractors to label A&M as an male all-white school with little diversity or open-mindedness. Indeed, the A&M Yell Leaders and Corps of Cadets, the two most recognizable factions on the A&M campus, usually seem to be made up of only white males.

The Aggie Corps of Cadets is easily the most visible reminder of A&M’s days as an all-male military college; it is as old as the university itself. Although Corps members are outnumbered approximately 20 to 1 on the A&M campus, they still hold a considerable amount of power and authority on campus because they are considered the "keepers of Aggie Spirit." Until 1965, enrollment in the Corps was required for A&M students, although enrollment in Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) was not mandatory for upperclassmen cadets (this also holds true today). However, it is difficult to argue today that the Aggie Corps is in fact a true military organization. Firstly, and most importantly, enrollment in the Corps is not required for A&M students. At military academies such as Army, Navy, and Air Force, entering the armed forces is required for all students. Only 1/20th of all A&M students enter the Corps, a smaller percentage take ROTC classes for all four years of their education, and a smaller percentage still actually enter the armed forces. (There is even one “squadron” of the Aggie Corps, Squadron 20, that has no ROTC affiliation whatsoever.) In fact, A&M will occasionally allow applicants with sub-par grades to enroll at the school on the condition that they enter the Corps. Furthermore, only seven of the 3,442 recipients of the U.S. Medal of Honor have been Aggies. In addition, A&M is accused of having very peculiar practices and traditions that would be considered alien to a true military academy. For example, the highest-ranking member of the Corps is the Aggies’ mascot, a female collie named Reveille. In addition, the Aggie Corps is accused of being rampant with hazing and many other strange traditions and practices which are too numerous (and, in some cases, inappropriate) to mention in detail. However, Aggies still take pride in the Corps of Cadets because, in their eyes, having an organization with ties to the military (however questionable those ties may be) helps to set A&M apart as unique (however, in this case, being unique in this regard may not be the best policy). But, the Corps of Cadets is not unique to A&M- Virginia Tech also has a Corps of Cadets which is free of the strange traditions and practices of A&M’s Corps-practices which ultimately keep the Aggie Corps from fulfilling its intended goal of being a respected military institution. In short, the A&M Corps of Cadets was a military institution, but when enrollment in the Corps became optional, the Corps became nothing more than a tradition-laden glorified fraternity with a different name.

Another key part of the Aggie mindset is their hatred of The University of Texas at Austin. This hatred, along with many other aspects of A&M, was also formed during its infancy. The Texas State Legislature decreed that A&M would be a branch of The University of Texas System, even though The University of Texas did not exist at the time. (The University of Texas was founded in 1883, seven years after Texas A&M College.) Naturally, the Aggies did not like being made a subordinate of that which did not exist yet. Another instance of this so-called “favoritism” or “subordination” occurred in the early 1900’s, when the discovery of oil in Texas caused the funding for the Texas Permanent University Fund to skyrocket. The State Legislature decreed that The University of Texas would receive 2/3 of the PUF money, and that the remaining 1/3 would go to Texas A&M. The Aggies felt that they were being shortchanged. A&M’s hatred of UT also has its roots in football as well. The first ever loss in the history of Texas A&M’s football team occurred at the hands of The University of Texas- a 38-0 blowout in Austin in 1894. This loss began a 14-1-2 run by Texas against Texas A&M, including nine shutouts. The University of Texas became Texas A&M’s early enemy- a title which they still hold.

All of these traditions, events, and other factors lead to what could be called the “Aggie mindset,” something that Aggies commonly refer to as the “Spirit of Aggieland.” In addition to factors that are exclusive to A&M, the Spirit also has its roots in precedents set by military academies.

2. axle hongsnort

axle hongsnort 250+ Posts

please tell me you didn't write that for hornfans.com, it was for a grade, right?

3. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

I really like your essay. I've always thought we needed a "wickipedia-type collection" of Aggie history for our children to read.

One thing, paragraphs are like cowbell. [​IMG]

4. axle hongsnort

axle hongsnort 250+ Posts

don't get me wrong, it was well done. i just hope you got class credit or something.

5. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

Im gonna guess it was for a grade since he said aggie and not aggy.

6. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

very interesting.

7. Villeton

Villeton 25+ Posts

8. BeatYaEasyEasy

BeatYaEasyEasy 250+ Posts

you really wanted to do this?

9. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

turn that in as your essay for admission to your undergrad/grad program. they cant turn you down with that

10. TheGallopinGoose

11. LostinTime

LostinTime 25+ Posts

Alrighty then.

12. slipryROCK7983

slipryROCK7983 First Time Poster

Great Post Goose! [​IMG]

13. TheGallopinGoose

When referring to the Spirit of Aggieland, aggy often says, "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out, you can't explain it." I think I have written something that explains it so that anyone can understand it.

...but I mostly just laugh at it. [​IMG]

14. orange_pride

orange_pride 100+ Posts

aggy will always be aggy

15. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

good essay!
    I now know what makes atm what it is, but what makes an
    aggy what it is?
    What makes someone want to go to atm?
    Aggy says you can't understand looking in from the outside, so why do "new" aggys want to join something that can't understand..........oh I guess that expains itself. [​IMG]
    Anyway, good read. Thanks, I think. [​IMG]

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

17. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

A couple of comments to a great article.

1. When my daughter was looking at colleges, we told her that we would pay for her to go anywhere but TAMU. When she asked why, we explained to her that Aggies were not like everyone else - and that eventually, any Aggie would prove to be an Aggie. She is out of college now (she went to TCU), and now fully understands what we meant.

2. While watching yesterday's KSU/TAMU game, we noticed a group of kids in aggy colors doing the 'horns down'. I think someone posted a quote from Mack Brown to the effect that some people hate us more than they like themselves. So true, and 'horns down' by aggy-to-be at a game in which aggy was hanging on for dear life against KSU so proves that point, as it does your point about aggy wanting to be UT. Disgustingly pathetic of them.

[​IMG]

18. Texas Bullhorn

Texas Bullhorn < 25 Posts

I noticed that you used the word "'quagmire" when you probably were looking for the word "quandary," but the more I think about it, "quagmire" may be more appropriate. [​IMG]

Bullhorn

19. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

Irrrational CULT.

Yes, that's an "L."

20. yourlordarileus

yourlordarileus 250+ Posts

very good read.

21. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

This would make a good Wikipedia entry - "Spirit of Aggies - an outsider's perspective."