My laptop is jacked up!

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by jt09, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Got his by a virus (pretty sure) and now my computer won't do anything at all. Nothing clicks. I need to find someone preferred over some "place") to fix it.

The only thing I have on it that meeds to be protected/saved are my pictures. Everything else can be wiped clean and start over.

If you are a computer guru type and know how to fix this, please reply or send me a PM. I'm trying to get it fixed for fairly cheap, but not free. Just don't have the $$$ our IT guy at work wants (contract guy @ $133/hour).

Thanks in advance.

2. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

since all you want is your pictures have you tried booting into safe mode to see if your computer will run virus free to get your pictures? In case you dont know how to get into safe mode when you turn on your computer start pressing F8 and you should get a select screen. If it doesnt work just try it again

3. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I know about F8, I just don't have the overall knowledge to do the whole thing.

4. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

If you know a UT student, have them take their laptop to the Help Desk in FAC 1st floor. They will need to claim the laptop is theirs but they will wipe it clean and save your picture files for free (for students).

5. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Now THAT'S a great idea! I know plenty of UT students.

6. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

I figured you did. The key is for them to claim it is there laptop. The Help Desk will no longer work on laptops that aren't brought by owner. Just have them take the laptop and the power cord up to FAC, explain what happen, give any passwords to access system, and see what the techs can fix.
    The Link

7. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

They won't give them grief about the name on the computer matching their name? Most of the students I know are chicks...

8. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

"its my uncles old computer".

9. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

"I am going through a sex change. If you don't believe me then just ask Leslie"