My poor sycamores

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Texanne, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

My Mexican sycamores are dying. They're only about 60 years old; lifespan is anywhere from 120 to 240 years. Two sycamore trees at my across-the-street neighbors have already died and been cut down.

At first, I thought it was some sort of parasite or even anthracnose, but after talking at length with a horticulturist at the Extension Service at Closet Station, I have realized my beautiful, special trees are probably victims of the drought. Basically, I killed them because I couldn't afford to water!

I hate myself.

The tree in the front yard is especially valued because it is our only source of shade in the afternoons. With the loss of my neighbor's trees, and the loss of a large pecan at another neighbor's across the street (that tree had a quadrifurcated trunk with a rotten spot in the middle, like a cavity in the pit of a molar), I will have no shade once my tree is gone. None.

The guy at TAMU suggested three types of hardy tree that grow well in our climate here in Central Texas and will put on about 2 to 2 1/2 feet a year. But it will be a long time before they provide the type of shade I've gotten for 26 years from this glorious tree. It's dying, and I don't think there is anything I can do to save it.

My heart is breaking.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Is it too late to start giving it water? Compare the cost of the water bill to the much higher energy bill to compensate for loss of shade and I think the water bill won't be so bad. Start collecting water in a pitcher when it warms up in the sink, in the shower, collect rainwater if you have to in order to supplement the cost. Something.

Murderess.

3. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Also, the money you would spend to have the tree removed should pay for a significant amount of water.

4. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Are you in a water conservation area with restrictions regarding watering? If so, then I won't call you a murderer. If not, then like l00p mentioned, try saturating them and see if that will help. We had an old Pecan tree in my folks' neighbor's house, the guy failed to water the tree during the drought of 70+ days of 100+ degrees weather we had up here in North Texas last year. The tenants he had in there couldn't give two shits about watering not only the lawn but the tree, shame....

I miss that tree, we used to go and pick Pecans from it. Now we have to go buy them... [​IMG]

5. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I've got to call a certified arborist to come look at it. I don't know what they charge for a consultation, though. I'm scared to even find out!

I do have to say that it looks a little better since I bit the bullet and started watering, and the recent rains (where was the rain last year???) has also helped.

And my St. Augustine is coming back, too.

6. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

See what you've done, Texanne?! You have made Chango sad and change his hair style to spikes that look like question marks. Appease him and save the tree.

8. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Give us an update Texanne!!!!!

9. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts