Name 3 under the radar schools that breakout

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by #2is#1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

It's the offseason. The only news is bad news, or how tough practices are.
    A chance for college football fans to go on record.
    Name three schools who are a bit under the radar that will break out this year.
    Mine you ask? Ok the following;
    Virginia- They won 2 games last year. I think they win 8. They have a tough opener hosting UCLA and then soon after Louisville, but the ACC is down and they should be very competitive in every game.
    Arizona- They are gaining every year under Rich Rod an exceptional coach no matter what you may think of him. Their toughest two road games are Oregon and UCLA . They get USC, ASU, and UW at home. They could win 10 or 11 IMO.
    Lastly,
    Georgia- Loaded at running back and not just loaded per NCAA loaded like NFL loaded.
    Schedule is as favorable as an Alabama schedule (though no one could ever have an easy hard schedule like Bama)
    8 home games. If they can win @ South Carolina they could be home free all the way to the SEC championship game played where? In the Atl Georgia!
    Any teams I am overlooking?

2. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

Louisville. Petrino is a jerk of a person but he's a good coach and they have a lot of returning starters despite losing Bridgewater.

3. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Texas -- the OU game decides the conference and a BCS bowl game

Ole Miss -- Alabama at home, but at LSU (the big game of the year), and at A&M early (Oct 11, so may have an advantage over inexperience at QB at CS) ... that is the game after hosting Bama... so if they beat the Tide, could go on the road and beat A&M with confidence, or be so beat up they don't.

OU will be a top ranked team and over-shadow Ok-State and Baylor. I think Texas and OU are the teams to run the table and/or 1 or 2 losses only. I don't know OU"s depth chart well, but they came off a big Sugar Bowl win with a solid QB.

I'm gonna give Baylor 3 losses on the year and a disappointing year after their Conf title.

Can Penn State make a surprise showing with their new coach? I know nothing about their carry-over of talent from 2013.

USC might make a move with their new coach.
    And... Washington with Chris Peterson.

This may be the year of new coaches shaking things up.

4. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Not really under the radar after winning the Big Ten last season and a probable pre-season top ten ranking, but Michigan State should compete with Ohio Ste for the conference title again.

I also think Washington will make some waves in the PAC 12, but Petersen is probably a year, or two away from hanging with Stanford, Oregon and possibly UCLA.

5. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

Have felt for awhile now that Arkansas makes some noise this year

6. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

In order:

1. North Carolina

2. Washington

3. Colorado

I am thinking breakout year is to greatly exceed expectations ?

7. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Washington [​IMG]

8. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

washington and iowa state immediately come to mind

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

2is1,

Virginia is very possibly the worst coached team in America. True the ACC is weak, but it has been for several years and is actually stronger this year than the last four - doesn't mean they are good, just less bad.

UVA does not have a QB, nor do they have anyone on staff capable of developing talent at that position. Couple this with the fact that talent, leadership, and knowledge have no bearing on which QB London will play.

Favorable schedule or not, I can't see UVA getting to five wins with their coaching staff.

10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Washington State

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

A&M...Prairie View, that is.

12. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Sabre,
    I hear you and understand your points.
    Virginia won 2 games last year. They were in 3 or 4 more.
    I think they will win 6 or 7 and get into a bowl game.
    They recruited a great class on defense, and the defense kept them in games.
    Tom Obrien will make a difference as OC IMO and the Cavs take a big step forward.
    Again, just an opinion.
    That is what these predictions should be, hence the out of nowhere who would have thought type of prediction.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

#2,

Tom O'Brine (thus spelled because his personality is like salt in an open wound) was hired at a salary of $500,000 by UVA's GM (not AD or HC). He has no input, no authority, no say. Can't stand O'Brine. but loved his interview last season when he told the reporter, "I only coach four players".

I thought he would be interim HC when London was fired, but then learned that UVA doesn't have the cash to fire London because he has the same kind of dumbass contract that has recently been passed around Travis County.