Napa Valley Wineries

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Guinness, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Guinness

Guinness < 25 Posts

In a couple weeks I will be in Napa Valley for a full day of binge wine tasting.

I am interested in any winery recommendations since it will be my first trip to Napa Valley.

For background purposes, my favorite varietals are Syrah, Petit Syrah, and Pinot Noir. Basically I like most reds and some chardonnays (buttery & oaky).

Thanks in advance!

2. Mrs. Reboot

Mrs. Reboot 100+ Posts

Can't give you many specifics, since it's been a couple of years, but know that the bigger names will have tastings you pay for, and the others will be free! I guess it depends on what you want as to where you will want to go. Mondavi has a beautiful winery if you just want to look around, but it's very touristy and everything has a price. Sutter Home is always my favorite because it's quaint, tastings are free, and they have foods there as well (like Hickory Farms type of snacks). That always helps between tastings!

3. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Silverado is a must! And if you don't go to Cakebread, you might as well not go. I stayed away from the big commercial joints last time we were out there two years ago, but believe it or not, Coppola was pretty damn good.

4. Guinness

Guinness < 25 Posts

Horny Ringman,
    Please elaborate on why you think Silverado and Cakebread are musts! I only have one day and am going to be very selective on which wineries I visit!

Thanks...

5. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Pretty sure Cakebread's appointment only now.

6. clevername

clevername 25+ Posts

I was at Cakebread last week and you need to call and make a reservation. The winery itself isn't that special bu their wines are top notch. Definitely a must.

I thought the tour at Coppola was pretty imprssive. Beautiful grounds, great buildings, and we had a tasting in the caves where the barrells are stored. They also have a collection of F.F.C's movie memorabilia on display.

7. Cancer Man

Cancer Man Guest

Whatever you do, eat dinner at Mustard's.

8. Monkey_Horn

Monkey_Horn 25+ Posts

I'll be there as well the sat of 4th of july weekend. ONly have one day & would like to know which ones you guys recommend. Want to bring some wine back so the best ones would be preferable.

9. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

you have one day, DO NOT TAKE A TOUR. only do tastings, tours while informative and entertaining eat into your time.

Are you a semi serious to serious wine person or only going to get your buzz on?

places that you need to visit: Duckhorn, Caymus, Cakebread, Stags Leap Cellars (not Winery, thats Beringer owned ****), Frogsleap, Silverthorn, Conn Creek.

while they are big the BV plce is nice. eat at Bouchon in Yountville or Coles Chop House in Napa for dinner. the "Bounty Hunter" is a great place in Napa for Wine tasting and dinning as well.

I would suggest you get up esrly, drive up to St. Helina and work you way back to Napa. you will have till 4:00 PM so use your time wisely. plan your trip, do some home work, get to tasting locally before you go.

10. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Guiness, Napa is cab country; you'll find more syrah/petit syrahs in Sonoma.

Suggested one-day itinerary:
    10:00 AM Domaine Carneros I always like to start the day with some bubbly and they make some nice ones here, Brut Rose and the Le Reve Blanc de Blancs are my faves. They are less known for their pinots, but they are also very good. Try the Famous Gate. The winery and view are lovely.

11:00 Veer off Hwy. 29 and head over to the Silverado Trail; there's less traffic and the scenery's beautiful. Stop at Clos Du Val for a taste; Stag's Leap makes some of my favorite syrah and petit syrah. Pine Ridge makes a great cab.

1:30 Have a late lunch in Yountville and sample some of that famous California/French cuisine at Bistro Jeanty or Bouchon.

3:00 Franciscan makes a beautiful meritage called Magnificat; the Cuvee Sauvage is an outstanding chardonnay.

3:45 Flora Springs also offers a great meritage called Trilogy (2000 is a good vintage) and single vineyard cabs.

4:30 Head up towards Calistoga to Clos Pegase. Explore the sculptures on the grounds, then head in for a tasting. I loved the claret, a great wine for pizza or pasta with tomato sauce.

My husband and I have been going to Napa every year since 2000. We haven't even visited half of the wineries in Napa. If you like something at one winery, ask the staff for recommendations to other wineries. This is how we discovered some hidden gems in Sonoma last year.

The above is merely an idea to get you started; you may well decide that the day will steer you on a different path. This is half the fun of exploring the wine country! For example, you'll pass Niebaum Coppola on your way to Franciscan. Many feel this is a "must" for first-timers. It's one of the "big houses" and has a great gift shop. The wines are decent but we've never felt compelled to return after our first visit many years ago.

I don't recommend more than 6 wineries in one day. PM me if you have questions, or want other suggestions. We will be out there for our annual visit next week and can't wait! Have a great time! Cheers. [​IMG]

11. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Just read next2naus's post; I agree, don't to any tours if you only have one day.

Also, if you want to maximize your wine-tasting time, you may just want to throw together a picnic lunch and eat on the run. Stop in the Oakville grocery if you want to do this; you'll find all sorts of tasty treats there!

12. Guinness

Guinness < 25 Posts

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far.

I am a semi serious wine drinker so I am looking for a combo of most fun/best wine!

I was not planning on doing a tour...would like to hit as many wineries as possible [​IMG]

Keep the advice coming...

13. locohorn93

locohorn93 100+ Posts

Agree: ixnae on the ourtae. The tour at Sebastiani in Sonoma, (less crowded, but a nicer town (I think)) is pretty laid back and informative on the wine-making process. We were outta there in less than an hour, as I recall.

In Napa, check out Van der Heyden. It's a very small winery. The address is 4057 Silverado Trail. It's not like any other winery over there. Very casual. If nothing else, you gotta try their Late Harvest Cabernet. They're chardonnay was pretty good and sells out quickly, but I generally don't spend a lot on whites, so it wasn't a priority. That Late Harvest Cab is good stuff, though.

14. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Take the drive all the way up to Sterling Vineyards.
    It is a really cool "self tour" type place, and the view is incredible, and there is a low key (ahem.....romantic) gondola.

Also some top end wine to sample. Edit
    : Probably not worth your time, if you are restricted. I'll second Cakebread, if you can get an appointment. It's basically a Mom and Pop shop.......but they are incredibly friendly, and the wine is absolutely top notch.

Also, Marryvale...in the middle of one of those little towns, is really cool..........checking out their special event dining room is a must. It is nestled in the vat cellar. If memory serves, it stays open an hour or so later than most other places.

Finally.........V. Sittui (sp?) is a popular spot for picnics, and for some darn fine tasting.

15. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

I'll third Cakebread. If you like chardonnay, they make a great one.

Merryvale makes decent chardonnay as well. It's in St. Helena, which is about halfway through the Napa region. The Profile is a lovely Bordeaux blend (mostly cab and merlot).

Others to try: St. Supery, Steltzner, Robert Sinskey, Heitz, Hess, Freemark Abbey, Trefethen, Sequoia Grove, Charles Krug, Duckhorn... just off the top of my head. Sure you can only stay one day?...

Oh... and I would NOT recommend: Peju Province (staff think they're comedians, but they're just annoying) or Markham (guy pouring that day was an ungracious and pretentious... well, assclown
    ). Neither had wines good enough to make up for the forgettable experiences and time wasted.

16. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

I would recommend Frog's Leap. It is a cool place and they did not make me pay for the tasting. Cake Bread is fine, but I was not that impressed with what they had to offer last time I was out there. I am going back this Sunday so I may give them another shot. The Silver Oak Winery is cool and the tasting is cheap, and they let you keep the glasses.

If you like interesting red I cannot recommend strongly enough you go to Domain Chandon. Yes I know it is mostly sparkling wines there, but they have a varietal red called Pinot Meunier that is very unusual and very bold. They are the only winery in the US as far as I know to make Pinot Meunier. I am not a big champaign guy so I wouldn't sepnd much time there, but do yourself a favor and make sure you run through and try the Pinot Meunier. It is fabulous, uinique, and not all that expensive. Pinot Muenier

17. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Whatever you do, don't go here. You'll like all the wines that they have and you won't be able to find them once you get home.

18. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

I like all of the wineries mentioned above, but if it is your first time in Napa you should go to Beringer. It has an amusement park element to it, but it will give you a flavor of Napa and get your feet wet for the smaller tastings at the smaller wineries. If you need a more exclusive tasting, the reserve tasting room at Beringer has some excellent wines. Just ask where it is and they will be happy to show you it.

Also, I second the sparkling wine house of Domaine Chandon. Napa can be hot and muggy, and the bubbly is a refreshing.

V. Sattui in St. Helena is an excellent place to buy some cheese, bread and wine and have a picnic on a shady lawn. When I lived in S.F., our regular wine country tour for friends and relatives coming to visit always included Sattui and everyone always enjoyed it.

I love great wines and I know Sideways has created a lot of wine snobs, but wine doesn't always have to be that serious. Have fun at a place like Beringer. I still get a kick at my tasting there. We had a Cab, then a Merlot, then a Chardonay and finally a . . . White Zinfandel. The woman from Arkansas next to me exclaimed out loud - "Finally they are bringing out the good stuff." [​IMG]

19. TEXumAS

TEXumAS 25+ Posts

Robert Sinskey (on Silverado Trail) does a great Pinot Noir, and has some unusual reds as well. Kind of higher end wines-but excellent! I would 2nd going to Mondavi or Coppola as well--good places to go for 1st timers. Don't plan on more than 5 wineries in a day though.

20. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

Mmmmmm, Chandon pinot meunier... give it a try! [​IMG]

Orangeblood--Chateau Potelle is on our list of "maybes" that we haven't visited yet. Your comment makes it sound very promising! Do they have wine club so you can at least have the stuff sent to you?

21. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Go to the Oakville Grocer get some cheees, salami and sourdough bread. Go to Rutherford Hill winery and eat lunch under the olive trees. Then head to Girard to taste the Sauvignon Blanc and head to Stonegate to taste the cabernets.

22. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Yep, CP is one of my favorites and we make sure to go every time no matter what. They have a small tasting room and aren't the easiest to find, but MAN their wines are good.

Also, if you really like cabs and syrah, try Darioush.

23. Guinness

Guinness < 25 Posts

Thanks again for all the great input thus far.

Sounds like I may have to find a way to make it a two day trip instead of just one. Not sure if I will be able to pull it off though.

I will be going in a few weeks and will be sure to post a trip report when I return!

Anybody else have any suggestions?

24. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

I would suggest heading to the Robert Pecota winery as well. If you get the chance to try the Pecota merlot, you will not be disappointed. Trust me. I'll second Trefethen. They turnout some good stuff. Go check out the Pecota website atThe Link

Enjoy!!!!

[​IMG]

25. LittleHornChick

LittleHornChick 100+ Posts

26. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

As we approach summer, there are some great suggestions for Napa in this thread.

27. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

We are going in two weeks. Thanks for the bump. The focus will be Sonoma, but there will be some time spent in Napa.

28. bigbad66

bigbad66 25+ Posts

I live in the SF area, and agree w/ many of the above suggestions (Cakebread, Stag's Leap Cellars).

Might I add a couple that you may not normally run across:

Cliff Lede (new owner, but old vineyard - OUTSTANDING!, was just there last week, in the Stag's Leap area)

Plumpjack (great wines, good setting)

Agree on the suggestion to eat at Bistro Jeanty or Mustard's. Tra Vigne has a nice outdoor patio - food is solid, but not as good as it used to be.

29. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

We just got back. We were there on Thursday & Friday last week. We drove into Napa on Thursday morning from SF. The weather was gorgeous; apparently it has been raining tons there recently.

Everywhere we went, we shared our tasting. We went to 12 wineries in 2 days.......

We started at Domaine Chandon. My wife drinks their sparkling whites and wanted to go there. $15 for the sampling; it was alright.

Second, we went to Cakebread. You do need to have an appt but we called at Chandon and set up the appt for 30min later. Then again this was a Thursday @ noon. We went to Oakville Grocery before Cakebread. Ripoff. Get your cheeses before. It was $7-16 for cheese. We did however get 2 sandwiches there that were good. Cakebread had some very good wines. Their sav. blanc was very very good as was their pinot noir and cab. Tasting was $10.

Third, we went to Grgich Hills. $10 tasting. They did not give that much wine either but their wines were excellent. They had a great fume blanc and merlot. We bought a fume blanc there.

Fourth, we went to Heitz Cellars. This was perhaps my favorite winery. Free tastings, fyi. They had a great grinolgio (sp). Port was excellent; awesome cabs. We bought a bottle of grinoligo, Trailside Cab, port and a bottle of Martha's Vineyard Cab for a friend of mine that he requested. Heitz was AWESOME, staff was great, wines were amazing.

Fifth, we went Joseph Phelps off the Silverado Trail. $20 tasting (ouch) but it was a very nice view. We went to Sterling the next day but I liked Phelps view better. The wine was alright but nothing great.

Sixth, we went to Mumm Napa. My wife likes white wines and sparkling wines so she really liked Mumm Napa. We got the premium tasting for $15 and she really liked it.

After the 6th tasting, we drove to Calistoga and to our bed & breakfast there (The Elms). The Elms was nice but not that great. We paid almost $200. Perhaps that is cheap for a b&b. They did have a free "happy hour" with free wine & cheese from 430-630 and then free breakfast in the morning obviously.

Friday morning, we 1st went to Tres Pegase. $10 tasting, not that impressed. They have some interesting architecture.

Second, we went across the street to Sterling. They have a gondola ride up the mountain. $15 tasting/ride per person. The view was alright but it was a big corporte place.

Third, we went to Frank Family Vineyards. This was awesome. Free tasting but it was a smaller place, lots of attention. Great chardonnay and sparkling whites... And their reds were solid. We bought a bottle of chardonnay and sparkling white there.

Fourth, we went to Rombauer. This was also awesome. Free tastings plus alot of attention. They had a great chardonnay and awesome cab. We bought a bottle of each.

Fifth, we went to Duckhorn. Tasting was $10. The wines were ok but it was almost like a bar. No attention. They just gave us our wines.

Next we went to lunch @ Rutherford Bar & Grill. Alright, nice place but a bit overpriced. Perhaps Napa though.

Finally we went to St. Supery. Not impressed.

Our top 4 were Frank Family, Rombauer, Heitz, and Grgich Hills. Cakebread would be #5 or tied with 4th with Grgich Hills.

That's our review.

30. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

We liked Duckhorn very much but did a private tasting. That made it worthwhile.

V. Sattui. V. Sattui. V. Sattui.