Nasty Fans at UTEP?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AFhorn82, Aug 18, 2008.

1. AFhorn82

AFhorn82 100+ Posts

I was listening to local sports radio this morning and there was a lot of talk about how mean the UTEP fans are to other Texas schools. I hadn't ever head anything about Miners fans being nasty. Are we talking just normal animosity for an opponent or Arky-style hatred?

2. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

You should expect the UTEP faithful to be extremely angry, highly dangerous, and wildy unpredictable.

3. Remo go krazy

Remo go krazy 100+ Posts

Of the 3 UTEP fans, I have heard that one is apathetic but the other 2 are troublemakers.

4. PigBellmont

PigBellmont 25+ Posts

I think El Paso was tied w/Austin for lowest murder per capita (in Texas), which is remarkable considering what is occuring across the border. Considering the socioeconomics, El Paso is remarkably safe statistically - some have attributed this to the high Lithium content in the water.

A fan base that has survived Columbus will find El Paso a paradise.

5. groover

groover 25+ Posts

a day of tequila and cerveza leading up to a late-night kickoff will probably make us all a little more passionate than we would otherwise be.

6. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

The bad news is that they are nasty.

The good news, however, is that, in true El Paso fashion, for a game scheduled to begin at 8:15pm on Saturday, September 6th, none of them will actually arrive until at least Friday, September 12th. And, when they do, they'll have to order additional parts.

7. win1

win1 25+ Posts

Won't a lot of the locals be UT fans?

8. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

I went to the UTEP/Texas Tech game in El Paso and it was HORRIBLE.

Easily one of the worst experiences I have had as a fan. I was with a group from Tech and it was god awful. From being yelled at, to having things thrown on you, to challenges to fist fights...JEEZ

Be very careful wearing burnt orange that weekend. The only thing that gives me hope is that El Paso is a HUGE city for UT T-shirt fans, so maybe that will slightly even it out.

9. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

10. ucf fans were pretty crappy, but i wouldn't hold that candle to the burning couch that was columbus

11. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

UTEP fans are extremely mellow. It should be a lot of fun.

I bet the Tech experience was caused by Tech fans with maybe a reaction from the UTEP fans due to your poor behavior. I have noticed that A&M and Tech fans are frequently victims and never insitgators.

12. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

13. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

14. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

15. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

16. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

If the Sun Bowl holds 50,000, I'd expect about 35,000 of them to be wearing burnt orange. There's safety in numbers.

As for their treatment of Tech fans, I agree it was probably well-deserved payback.

17. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

And they suck. Let's not forget that Rice beat UTEP last year.

18. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

Will they sing The Eyes of Texas before and after the game? The Eyes was played 3 times at the usc Rose Bowl but it could be played 4 times at El Paso.

19. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

Met some good Ohio State fans in Austin, but they did not exist in Columbus. The peckerwood kids (whether OSU students or not) were never chastised by one older OSU fan.
    You know that BS won't fly for long in a DKR crowd.

I can't believe El Paso could muster anything to match what we experienced in Columbus.

20. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

So, let's see...you were with a group of Tech alumni AND they were attorneys... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They were T-shirt attorneys.

22. TWC

TWC 100+ Posts

It's ironic that Tech Alums were shocked by the aggressive behavior. Tech fans throw things at the players during the game. Hopefullly we'll get a warmer welcome, and I doubt half the stadium wearing burnt orange will hurt either.

23. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein 100+ Posts

This is the strangest thread. I'm thinking most of it must be tongue-in-cheek, but it's delivered so dryly I can't help but wonder if some of it's sincere.

I spent the better part of this last summer auditing an office in El Paso and I got the impression that UTEP is to El Paso what ACC is to Austin. Everybody goes there but it's no big deal. They're cool about it. Very dispassionate.

And just like ACC students (and Austinites), a majority of UTEP students (and El Pasoans) seem to be rabid Texas Longhorn fans.

On the main thoroughfare, I-10, they have a huge buildboard advertising the Miners upcoming season. Guess what its headline says? "See the Texas Longhorns on September 6th." And the background looks a bit more burnt orange than Miner orange.

Back in the '70s and '80s, the folks in El Paso used to love it when Texas would play in the Sun Bowl. I don't think it's changed. I think most of them still love the Horns and are thrilled Texas is coming to their remote oasis in the middle of nowhere.

If you're making the trip, go out to Cattleman's Steakhouse in Fabens. You'll be glad you did. I went there on my last night in El Paso and if I had known how good it was going to be, I would've gladly gone there every evening.

24. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

25. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I've seen Texas play in 31 stadiums since 1985 and I've never feared for my safety in any of them. Ohio State fans were probably the worst I've encountered. I wouldn't worry about El Paso.

26. Zuerst

Zuerst 250+ Posts

After living around Austin and going to classes at Texas, people from other area can seem kinda busted...

27. MyHornsOnYerChin

MyHornsOnYerChin 100+ Posts

First of all, i dont know where anyone is getting the idea that utep fans sing the eyes of texas....they dont. secondly, wake up people...this post is just ridiculous. being from ep, this is just angering. you want to stereotype el pasoans, but unfortunately you are sounding like the stereotype images they have of you. namely snobby. its football, and supposed to be fun. sure there are idiots anywhere....but can you tell what a whole city or campus is like because of them? not likely. as much as i hate to admit it im sure there are even decent people in norman. [​IMG]

el paso is excited to host you, and the mexican culture is usually one that welcomes. im sure you will see some negatives, but im also sure that your experience in ep will be overall positive. ive said it many times before, head down to campus hours early on gameday, and youre in for one hell of a tailgate, if you can even call it that. ill be there, and most likely in front of the education building. so come by, and though ill be wearing burnt orange, im sure ill be able to introduce you to plenty of people wearing miner garb, that wont curse you, or spit, or throw things. i hope you have a great time in my hometown, ill be driving in from scottsdale, az. this kind of thing doesnt really happen for utep too much. its a big deal. they will appreciate every moment of it, and i hope you can as well. oh yea, and while a part of me wouldnt mind the miners doing well, HOOK EM! [​IMG]

28. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

29. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Unless you're a loudmouth Tech fan...

Signed, UT fan with 100 loudmouth Tech fan relatives...

30. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts