NCAA 1 and 2 round games in Austin

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Mar 2, 2016.

1. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Honestly there a lot of teams that think they got a raw deal, and many of them are probably right as there are factors other than straight seeding the committee looks at. All three ESPN commentators put Lexington as the toughest region, yet some think ND would have been the best matchup for us. In the end you have to beat good teams to advance. If you're a higher seed you may end up with a so-called easier opponent in the first round, but after that all bets are off. Crème picked our (potential) second round matchup, BYU, as his tournament Cindererella team (see link someone posted above). And if we get by them, UCLA or a very tough South Flordia squad likely awaits in the Sweet 16. But we're a 2 seed for a reason, and should beat all of these teams up to the point we meet UCONN. And I'm fine with an Elite 8 matchup with the Huskies; I'm anxious to see how far we've come since last year. And if that's the end of the line for us, a 31-win season and Elite 8 appearance would be a better result than last year, and keep the upward trajectory of this program in tact. We've had a phenomenal year, now it's time for these ladies to focus, get excited, and get the job done. Let's go, Horns!

• Like Like x 5
  2. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

LOL.....who's the Baylor fan? I saw all 3 games.....we looked pretty bad, if you want to be honest. They were all 3 blow-outs!!!! And the weaknesses of our team were exposed, very forcefully, in all 3 losses. I wish we could have performed better against them, but we didn't. Plain and simple!

I'd rather have UT in the regional with S. Carolina or ND, but it is what it is.
    The Big XII seedings: 1,2, 6,6,7,9
    The Pac 12 seedings: 2,2,3,4,7
    Although not as many teams from the Pac 12, much stronger and higher seedings. I guess that's why ASU got a higher #2 seeding than we did. We're lucky that K. State sneaked into the field. They're not a very strong team....I don't think they're tournament-worthy, but they were needed to fill out a 64-team field. Okie State seems to be on the decline, as well. I question whether they get out of the 1st round.

I'd have loved for us to have won at least 1 game against Baylor. That would have given us a higher #2 seed. But it didn't happen. 3 tries...3 big losses....and none were really competitive.
    fyi: As much as I don't like Baylor, I will pull for all Big XII teams in the tourney. Every Big XII team that progresses helps us look better in the scheme of things.
    Hook'Em.....

3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Anyone who compares Texas' resume to that of Arizona State can see a difference, unless you purposely want to obsess over our 3 losses to Baylor.

ASU suffered home losses to Kentucky and VCU. ASU lost by 23 at Oregon State. They lost their last two games of the season against UCLA and Cal (very bad quality loss in Pac quarterfinals). We lost 2 to Baylor and won 2 in the tourney.

http://www.thesundevils.com/SportSe...0300&SPID=126729&SPSID=749700&DB_OEM_ID=30300

I do think ASU's non-conference wins over Florida State and Syracuse are comparable to our wins over Stanford and MSU.

But, as early as 2 weeks ago, the committee had us ranked #5. No way their finish to the season resulted in them overtaking us for the #7 overall seed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think this baylor team is a better coached offensive team than the team with Griner and Simms. Give Mulkey credit she learned from her mistakes and is running a better more balanced offense. The offense with Griner and Simms was a one dimensional throw the ball inside to Griner on every single possession. Louisville knew that and Mulkey didn't adjust which is why they lost.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

So "the committee" put out a statement 2 weeks ago that we were ranked #5 by them (them being the committee)?

6. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

I was just as shocked as everyone else that we weren't the #7 overall seed. I'm just trying to figure out how we fell...or why we fell to the #8 overall seed. Perhaps the committee thinks the Big XII is that weak this year. After all, it's Baylor.....then UT.....then everyone else. No team besides UT and Baylor are very impressive. That's all I can guess.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yes. Announced on ESPN by Kara Lawson and other host at halftime of our game at Baylor or the game which preceded ours. I forget where ASU was, but we were #5. Next was probably Oregon State. Maryland was way down based on their RPI. Ohio State had been dropping due to recent losses.

Haven't looked at final RPI numbers, but no doubt ASU's dropped with their loss to a bad Cal team.

I firmly believe we were "bumped down" due to the logic I stated last night.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Don't underestimate potential opponent UCLA, an excellent young team quite capable of beating us.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 05Longhorn

05Longhorn 250+ Posts

If we play UCLA we will be going up againt Imani's former high school point guard Jordan Canada.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Let's be clear. Any team hoping to reach the Final Four this season knew that their best chance to do so was to avoid being in UConn's region. Plus, there's the added obstacle of them playing in their backyard in Bridgepoint, CT. Even the other top seeds like South Carolina and Notre Dame have shown they are about 10 points beyond UConn's level, if not more.

While I agree that a team most likely has to beat UConn to win the national title, not every team has the national title as a realistic goal for their program this season. My optimistic goal for this team prior to the bracket being revealed was a trip to the Final Four; didn't think we had the complete package to go beyond that, but felt that could be realistic if things fell right and we encountered the right matchups.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Never know which team is going to show up night in and night out. Every game/round will be a test for our team which is still trying to play at a high level on a consistent basis. That's how programs grow and become regulars in the Sweet 16 -- consistent play.

From BYU/Mizzou to UCLA/South Florida as our possible future opponents, no one is going to just give us the win. Just like us, all those teams have weaknesses, and suffered plenty of losses this season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I never thought we were a Final Four team. Prior to the year, my basketball buddy JK and I took a realistic evalution of our talent, etc., and both concluded that an Elite Eight appearance would be a BIG STEP up for us this year. IF, we had gotten in either South Carolina or Notre Dame's region, it is possible we could have upset either of those two teams, BUT ONLY IF WE PLAYED LIKE WE DID AT THE FIRST OF THE YEAR!!! Coach Aston has this team on track to make a Final Four appearance soon. We have to be patient. I think it's right around the corner~~~

13. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Wow! I didn't know "the committee" gave updates from week to week. They should quit doing that....telling where they have teams seeded DURING GAMES and in the regular season. I'm shocked they would demoralize teams by doing that. That kind of behavior by "the committee" could even cause teams to lose games on purpose...wow.....

I can see every one of the #2 seeds being ahead of us BUT ASU.
    Maybe the thought is that UConn always plays their worst tourney game in "The Elite Eight" matchup, and "the committee" is doing us a favor-----should we make it that far.

• Like Like x 1
  14. overseasbbfan1

I thought someone addressed the seeding earlier in the thread. Wasn't there something about UCLA and AZ State not being in same region due to other rules the committee looks at regarding conferences. So ASU got a bump to prevent that from happening - I don't think there's any question we were technically ranked higher than ASU by the committee, but they had to shift things a bit due to other concerns. Sometimes those procedural issues even means changing a team's seed line altogether, though that usually doesn't happen with the highest seeds. I could really care less whether we make the Elite 8, or a FF - no doubt others feel differently, and another FF on the resume certainly looks good, but for me one is about the same as the other at this point. Both are improvements over last year, and would be a major accomplishment for this program. Of course so would winning a NC, but we may not be quite ready for that yet. Losing to UCONN in the Elite 8 or FF - not a big difference as far as I'm concerned. As I said earlier a lot of teams don't like the path the committee laid out for them. No doubt BU feels like they got screwed, potentially having to go through A&M, Louisville and UCONN - and that still wouldn't give them a championship! They'd have to win one more after running that gauntlet to take the title. And the commentators were going on for quite a while about how difficult the Lexington Regional, and ND's early matchups were when compared to the other #1 seeds. I'm happy with our seed and I'm ready to see us make the run of our lives!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

"another FF on the resume certainly looks good".

Considering Texas only has Final Fours in 1986, 1987, and 2003, I'd say "another FF" would look astronomical on our resume, and for that of Coach Aston. Heck, even Elite Eight appearances have been few and far between the last 25 years or so.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The committee took the easy/lazy way out by flip-flopping Texas and ASU on the 7/8 national seeds. Yes, there were some obstacles to overcome to keep conference teams from being in the same regionals (on the top 4 lines), but had the committee sent Ohio State to the CT regional as the #3 seed with ASU as the #2 seed, then Texas could have gone to Sioux Falls as the #2 seed with UCLA as the #3 seed. Guess the committee felt it was more important to keep UCLA at #9 and Ohio State at #10 overall, and flipping Texas down and ASU up one spot.

1. UConn
    2. South Carolina
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Baylor
    5. Oregon State
    6. Maryland
    7. Texas
    8. Arizona State
    9. Ohio State
    10. UCLA

17. overseasbbfan1

NCAA FF's, you are correct. But we made the AIAW FF, and were national runner-ups in 1981. That was the beginning of that phenomenal 1980's run that included 9 consecutive Sweet 16's, 8 of which were also Elite Eight's, and then the two FFs, both of which resulted in us making the NC game; the one runner-up, and of course the undefeated championship season. I think another championship era is upon us, and it started with that Sweet 16 last season. We need to go one better than those 80's teams, and make it 10 in a row. Ten consecutive Sweet 16's and there's bound to be a few NC titles thrown in there somewhere!

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, current recruits don't remember 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Each milestone achieved by the current program is huge.

• Like Like x 2
  19. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Coach Aston needs to have the team practicing and preparing for zone defenses. Texas will probably see a lot of it in the first two games.

20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My thoughts EXACTLY. Let's take care of business, hold our seed, and keep this program moving steadily forward and upward.

• Like Like x 3
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

got my ticket: section 22, row 4. sounds pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Did you get your ticket in the mail, email?? I still haven't heard a word.

23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I pre-paid for mine and got the PDF files (printable tickets) in my e-mail around 5:00 yesterday

24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I pre-paid as well. Still no word.

25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

same as racer. paid online, got the email yesterday and printed them out. Parking, though, did not show the NCAA games as an event to get parking for last night.

Send them an email asking about that as the next FEC events are in April. Hope the NCAAs will be listed today.

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

only 48 hours (less actually) til tipoff! :yippee::coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

alright! got my parking permits tonight! All set for Sat & Mon. :hookem:

28. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Call your Foundation Rep....

• Like Like x 1
  29. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

We got section 20 row 12. Not bad

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns will host two of the first and second games of the NCAA this Saturday and next Monday. Coming to Austin to join the Longhorns (28-4) are the Brigham Young University (BYU) Cougars (26-6), the Missouri Tigers (21-9) and the Alabama State Hornets (19-11). Saturday matchups are #7 seed BYU vs #10 seed Mizzou and #2 seed Texas vs #15 seed Alabama State. The winners will square off on Monday for the right to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. BYU is the regular season 2016 West Coast Conference champion but fell to San Francisco in the tournament final.

Tuesday stories from the universities about the teams getting into the NCAAs.

UT:
    http://www.texassports.com/news/2016/3/14/womens-basketball-to-play-host-to-ncaa-first-and-second-rounds.aspx

BYU:
    http://byucougars.com/w-basketball/women-headed-austin-third-straight-ncaa-appearance

Mizzou:
    http://www.mutigers.com/news/2016/3/14/womens-basketball-returns-to-ncaa-tournament.aspx

Alabama State:
    http://bamastatesports.com/news/2016/3/14/womens-basketball-lady-hornets-basketball-heads-to-austin-to-face-2-seed-texas-for-the-ncaa-tournament.aspx

BYU Cougars
    BYU brings a three pronged scoring attack to Austin. They are led by Lexi Rydaich (# 21, 5-8 Soph. G) who brings a 24.3 ppg average. Mackenzi Pulsipher (# 23, 5-8 Jr. G) is second with an average of 12.7 ppg. Kalani Purcell (# 32, 6-2 Jr. F) is the third member of the leading scorers at 11.8 ppg. The Cougars average 69.7 ppg. Those three account for 48.8 ppg. That’s 70% of their points. Those three account for 1257 of 1829 FG attempts taken by BYU this season. Rydaich is at 264-597 (44.2%). Purcell contributes 148-334 (44.3%). Pulsipher has made 123-326 (37.7%). The fourth leading shot taker is Kylie Maeda (# 3, 5-5 Sr. G) at 65-144 (45.1%). Amanda Wayment (# 4, 6-1 Soph. F) has the highest FG% at 55.3% (57-103). Micaelee Orton (# 34, 6-2 Jr. F) is second at 52.8% (19-36). Rydaich, Purcell and Pulsipher join Wayment and Orton as the only Cougars hitting over 40% from the field. Rydaich (83-217; 38.2%) and Pulsipher (60-162; 37.0%) are the primary 3pt shooters. They have combined for 69% of BYU’s 3pt attempts. Madea is the most accurate 3pt shot at 47.4% on 36 of 76. Rydaich (165-234; 70.5%), Pulsipher (100-126; 79.4%) and Purcell (74-110; 67.3%) have combined to take all but 202 of the 672 FTs the Cougars have attempted this season. Cassie Broadhead (# 20, 5-9 Soph. G) has the top FT % at 82.5% (47-57). She also has the fourth most FT attempts on the team.

Purcell is the top rebounder at 12.7 rpg. She is averaging a double double for the season in pts and rebs. Rydaich is the second leading rebounder at 6.0 rpg while Wayment comes in third at 4.7 rpg. Purcell (152 assists) and Maeda (118 assists) top the Cougars in assists while Rydaich once again shows up near the top of another category with 91 assists. Three players haver double digits in blocks although none averages one block a game. Purcell has 25 blocks. Wayment adds 13 and Orton has ten blocks. BYU has 301 steals with six players with at least 28 steals: Pulsipher (68), Purcell (63), Rydaich (50), Maeda (35), Wayment (33) and Broadhead (28).

Rydaich, Pulsipher, Purcell and Maeda have started all 32 games for BYU. Jasmine Moody (# 33, 6-2 Fr. F) has 27 starts. Orton has four starts and Wayment has one. Broadhead and Kristine Nielson (# 22, 5-11 Jr. F/G) have seen action in all 32 games. The first four are iron women, averaging over 30 minutes per game, led by Purcell’s 35.5 mpg. Wayment is the only other player that averages over 21 mpg. Broadhead and Moody are in the teens. Rydiach, Pulsipher, Purcell, Maeda and Moody have been the starters for the past 27 games. Broadhead, Nielson, Orton and Wayment comprise the bench usually getting into game for a total of nine players that usually see action in a game. Five others are available as needed.

Rydaich has received honors this season: College Sports Madness Women’s Basketball All-High Major Player of the Year; West Coast Conference's Player of the Year & All WCC first team and to the 2016 WCC Championships All-Tournament Team. She leads the league in scoring and ranks fourth nationally with her 24.3 ppg average. She's the conference's all-time scoring leader for both men and women. She ranks second on BYU’s career scoring for WBB with 2,513 career points.

Best wins: Penn State, 63-51 and Texas A&M, 72-64.

Connection to Texas: Brooke Romney is a sophomore from Dallas, TX.

Missouri Tigers
    The Missouri Tigers return to a familiar place for their first foray into the NCAAs since 2006. They bring two double figure scorers in Sophi Cunningham (# 3, 6-1 Fr. G) and Jordan Frericks (#22, 6-1 Jr. F) who average 13.5 and 12.1 ppg, respectively. Cierra Porter (# 21, 6-4 Fr. F) at 9.0 ppg and Sierra Michaelis (# 24, 5-10 Jr. G) at 8.6 ppg add scoring support. Three Tigers have taken over 200 shots this season: S. Cunningham (136-271; 50.2%), Frericks (142-256; 55.5%) and Michaelis (92-226; 40.7%). Porter (90-187; 48.1%) and Morgan Stock (# 2, 6-1 Sr. G; 69-176; 39.2%) are the others that have triple digit FG attempts. The Tigers have four main threats from BTA: Mo. Stock (49-146; 33.6%), Michaelis (48-138; 34.8%) and S. Cunningham (34-94; 36.2%) are the main shooters with Lindsey Cunningham (# 11, 6-0 RS Jr. G) being the most accurate at 49.1% (26-53). S. Cunningham (99-121; 81.8%), Frericks (80-118; 67.8%) and Porter (78-100; 78.0%) help lead Mizzou to an impressive team FT% of 75.6. Maddie Stock (# 10, 6-0 Sr. G; 4-4, 100%) and Juanita Robinson (# 23, 5-10 Sr. G; 20-22; 90.9%) have the highest FT% on the team.

The top rebounders are Frericks (7.8 rpg), S. Cunningham (5.9 rpg) and Porter (5.5 rpg). L. Cunningham has an even 100 assists. S. Cunningham is second on the team with 89 assists. They have four others between 52 and 40 assists. Mizzou is not a big shot blocking team with two players leading the way with 22 blocks: Frericks and Porter. S. Cunningham adds 16 blocks. Frericks (38 steals), Lianna Doty (# 1, 5-7 RS Jr. G) with 33 steals, S. Cunningham (31 steals) and Michaelis (29 steals) lead the Tigers in steals.

Of the 13 players on the roster, 12 played in at least 28 of the 30 games. 11 of those 12 averaged at least 10 mpg. S. Cunningham and Frericks started all 30 games for the Tigers. L. Cunningham has 29 starts while Porter (25 starts) and Michaelis (24 starts) make the quintet with the most starts. Four other players have at least one start. Four players average 20 plus minutes per game: S. Cunningham (29.7 mpg), Frericks (26.1 mpg), L. Cunningham (23.9 mpg) and Porter (22.9 mpg). The other seven average 10 plus mpg. The group of Porter, L. Cunningham, S. Cunningham, M. Stock and Frericks have started the last six games for Mizzou. They are all 6-0 or taller.

S. Cunningham was named the SEC FOY by both the coaches and the AP. She was named to the All SEC second team and the All SEC Freshmen team by the coaches. Frericks was named to the second team All SEC while Porter made the All SEC Freshmen team as determined by the coaches. The AP also named S. Cunningham and Frericks as honorable mention All SEC. S. Cunningham is one of eight finalists for the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) National Freshman of the Year.