NCAA.com Big 12 preview

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Oct 23, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ketball-preview-will-baylor-or-texas-prove-be

• Like Like x 4
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This is crap. Attendance won't be good in KC with the power schools being Texas, Baylor, WVU, and Oklahoma the next few years.

Perhaps Dallas isn't even bothering to submit a bid any more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Amen to that. KU MBB has owned the Big 12 so throw them the conference tourney bone. But KSU and KU WBB are, at best, 5th and 10th in the Big 12.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, now that the Big 12 conference has a football championship game again, and it will be in Arlington, TX, then the men's hoops tourney will definitely remain in KC forever.

But, the women's hoops tourney can be anywhere, especially since it's a week before the men's tourney. Perhaps OKC and Dallas just didn't make bids as it's not worthwhile economically. But, if KC has gonna hold it in old Municipal Auditorium instead of the Sprint Center, then it's an insult. Regardless, empty seats will be the norm except for the ISU fans who attend until the Cyclones are eliminated.

• Like Like x 2
  5. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Agree with all the sentiments here regarding the Big 12 WBB tournament in KC.

Oklahoma State as a sleeper team...hahahahahahaha. Other than Baylor and Texas, I can think of better sleeper teams in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas State, and Iowa State than the Cowboys.

6. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I was really really disappointed when I read this on Twitter. I drive to OKC from Austin every year but just not going to go to KC. OKC is at least a mid point venue. I agree that attendance will be down. Did it say how long the commitment to KC was??

• Like Like x 1
  7. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I too drive to OKC. Kansas City is a bit far from Houston and the weather is terrible in KC in March.

According to this article, the Big 12 Women's Tournament will be held the SAME weekend as the Men's tournament. The Women's will be "given" Municipal Auditorium and the Men's Sprint Arena.

The only thing I can think of is this was a financial decision by the Conference office to save money.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_5df39a42-b8c6-11e7-906c-e35f98ed8705.html

8. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

SO disappointed in this. Oklahoma City was the absolute best choice IMO.

9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For the last 2 years, didn't the conference schedule the women's tourney one weekend prior to the men's tourney? That seemed to align with most other women's tournaments, and it gave our conference schools the extra rest and preparation for NCAA tournament; now, that's going away.

To me, this has to be based on low attendance/revenue for any city like Dallas or OKC hosting the women's tournament all by itself (not in conjunction with the men's tournament). But, the other major conferences do it. It really shouldn't be about revenue as WBball isn't a money-maker. In the end, it should be what is best for the players and fans.

• Like Like x 1