NCAA On Demand

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by uisge beatha, Mar 15, 2011.

1. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

With the new TV deal where all games are shown live, is the NCAA On demand feed intentionally being bandwith limited?

I've been doing some bandwidth testing for work tonight (always seems to be necessary this time of year). From the playin games tonight, I've started with about a 30 second delay from what is shown on TruTV. In both games, the delay has increased to 4 min . My first thought was probably using weak 3G signal so switched from 3G to my home wireless network on the test device - still got the delays. So switched to my home laptop on the home WLAN with the same result

This is the first time in the last 4 years I've done throughput testing where the video stream has been this bad. Before, my testing had shown mostly smooth video w/ both Verizon EVDO Rev0 and ATT HSDPA. So far, this year, I've had major delays on both ATT and Sprint 3G networks plus on my home WLAN network.

I wouldn't really care except for the fear that I'll be forced to watch he Horns on a similar slow connection. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

2. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

With the explosion of smartphones, they're probably forced to limit the data rate or the whole network will come crashing down during a game with high interest.