NCAA Regionals Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, May 31, 2017.

1. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Aren't Sam Houston's Jrs and Srs Pierce's boys?

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I believe most if not all of them were his until he left for Texas this year.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

LB-SD could be going to extra innings again. Could be another late game. Both games yesterday went to 13 and 12 innings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Whilst waiting for the two California teams to finish tenderizing each other to serve up to the Horns later this evening, I checked out some recent history of the CWS, what with the announcers droning on about FSU having made regional play 40 years in a row and have been in the last 7 super regionals (or something like that) ---- shocking, though that FSU has made the CWS in the past, they've NEVER won the CWS.

At 61 years of age, been following Horns baseball for a long time, and admit to high expectations each year for Texas, so high such that it hadn't really dawned on me that the Horns are the leading CWS team of the 21st century, in spite of FSU's extraordinary record of being better than average.

Most experts define the start of the 21st century as January 1, 2001, so we start there. I compiled a list of all CWS participants through last year, their appearances, and championships.

Surprised me that UT at 7 appearances and 2 championships leads the field. Closest behind Texas are Cal St Fullerton (6,1), LSU (6,1), Miami (6,1), North Carolina (6,0), Oregon St (4,2), South Carolina (6,2), with an honorable mention of Rice (5,1).

So, for the present, Texas' concern is to hopefully get into super regional play against Cal St Fullerton and eliminate them.

Miami's not in the regional field, nor is South Carolina this year. North Carolina is fighting for their life, being a top seed in their region but needing to take out Davidson who came out of the winners bracket there. Rice has a tough hill to climb in their regional, but they could do us a big favor by taking out LSU.

And then there's that nationally #1 ranked OSU Beaver team. Yikes, with 4 appearances and 2 championships in the 21st century, if they make and win it all this year, would put them at 5 and 3, would have to tip your hat to them.

Info is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series

Arizona, 3, 1
    Arizona St, 4, 0
    Arkansas, 4, 0
    Baylor, 1, 0
    California, 1, 0
    Cal State Fullerton, 6, 1
    Clemson, 3, 0
    Coastal Carolina, 1, 1
    Florida, 3, 0
    Florida State 4,0
    Fresno State, 1, 1
    Georgia, 3, 0
    Georgia Tech, 2, 0
    Indiana, 1, 0
    Kent State, 1, 0
    Louisville, 2, 0
    LSU, 6, 1
    Miami, 6, 1
    Mississippi St, 2, 0
    Missouri St, 1, 0
    Nebraska, 2, 0
    North Carolina, 6, 0
    NC State, 1, 0
    Notre Dame, 1, 0
    Oklahoma, 1, 0
    Ole Miss, 1, 0
    Oregon St, 4, 2
    Rice, 5, 1
    South Carolina, 6, 2
    USC, 1, 0
    Southern Mississippi, 1, 0
    Stanford, 4, 0
    Stony Brook, 1, 0
    TCU, 4, 0
    Tennessee, 1, 0
    Texas, 7, 2
    Texas A&M, 1, 0
    Texas Tceh, 2, 0
    Tulane, 2, 0
    UC Irvine, 2, 0
    UCLA, 3, 1
    UC Santa Barbara, 1, 0
    Vanderbilt, 3, 1
    Virginia, 4, 1

P.S., Kent State at 1,0, Stony Brook at 1,0, Texas A&M at 1,0.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Good post @blonthang - I like what Pierce has gotten from this team in his first year, CWS or not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Dirtbags take it 7-4

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Game on tv?

8. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

ESPN3

9. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

ESPN News no score, 2nd--'Horns are the home team

10. LonghornCatholic

Down 1-0 in the 3rd.

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Sam beating Tech 9-6 in the 9th!

:hammertime:

12. LonghornCatholic

Down 2-1 in the 6th.

13. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I don't like the way this series/game is being called....

14. LonghornCatholic

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Horns tie game at 2-2 with Gurwitz single. Cantu runs from 2nd base to home for lead. Thrown out at home after missing home plate on slide, hard to tell if Cantu touches plate or just top of foot of catcher. Announcers think he touched plate, though nothing definitive.

16. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I'm biase...Cantu was safe all night/day long!!

17. LonghornCatholic

18. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Bad call, but that was a bad slide by Cantu...poor technique. He had the throw beat by a step or 2, so slide thru the plate...not around it. Here's how a guy his size scores that run...

19. LonghornCatholic

20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tough loss. Hopefully Horns make their breaks tomorrow.

21. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I thought the ump's strike zone was much more egregious than the call at the plate. He gave their pitchers every corner, even when it was the corner of the opposite batter's box. I think he might be the HS coach at the school across the street or something. Every call has been going against us since we got there.

I agree Cantu should have slid head-first thru the plate. He was not even looking to see where his hand was as he slid. Why he plays over McCann I just cannot figure out.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

No doubt there were 2 different strike zones.

23. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Crotchety Old Man "Get off my lawn moment":

When the heck did they change the regional format to allow 4 days to finish? As I recall, it used to be 2 Friday games, 3 Saturday games, and this allowed the Championship game and the "if necessary" game to be played Sunday.

It's been a while since we've been in a regional, maybe I am crazy!

24. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

game time for today??

25. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

10pm CST

26. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

ESPN's score page now showing that the game will be broadcast tonight on ESPN2.

27. DougNB

DougNB First Time Poster

Cantu is a liability, he almost cost us game 2 and finally did it in game 3. Why does a 6'4" 240 pound runner try to finesse sliding into home plate? There ahead of ball, either slide in feet first or put the catcher against the backstop. He also looks terrible at the plate. I guess they think if he just closes his eyes and swings hard someday occasionally he may connect.

28. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

You will be called out for doing that.

29. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Didn't watch the game, but man Cantu was getting roasted on Twitter worse than anyone I've ever seen in the entire athletic program (this includes football and basketball). Guess when you play for this program, you can be the subject of the highest criticism.

30. LonghornCatholic

You can stay right here on HFs to see him get roasted regularly.