NCAA Selection Show

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, May 29, 2017.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

2 seed in Long Beach regional.

Open with UCLA on Friday a team the Horns swept earlier this year. Paired up with 8 seed Stanford regional in the supers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Top 8 seeds:

Oregon State
    North Carolina
    Florida
    LSU
    Texas Tech
    TCU
    Louisville
    Stanford

• Like Like x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Houston, Baylor, and aggy in same region.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

7 Big XII teams in:

Tech hosting as 5 national seed
    TCU hosting as 6 national seed
    Texas 2 seed in Long Beach
    Oklahoma State 3 seed in Fayetteville
    Oklahoma 2 seed in Louisville
    Baylor 2 seed in Houston (playing aggy)
    West Virginia 2 seed in Winston Salem

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

After getting screwed last year the Big XII gets treated well by the committee, I like the regional Texas is headed to and the chances to get to Palo Alto though it won't be easy. TCU got a killer regional.

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

The big conferences are colluding against the smaller ones. In baseball, the Big Ten is a 1 bid conference and got way too many teams in. Indiana being a 2 seed in Kentucky's regional while Virginia was sent to be a 2 seed in national seed TCU's is a joke. The Sun Belt is a better baseball league than the Big Ten. Also the Big Ten getting 5 bids and the historically best conference, the Pac12, getting only 4 is a joke. The Big Ten has not won a national title since 1966 and the Pac12 has 28 national titles (the sec is second with 11 and the Big 12 has 9).

After the SEC got murdered last year, there was definitely some placing the SEC in favorable matchups. LSU has the easiest path to Omaha of anyone.

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I feel like Fenves and Powers (who still goes to the games) contacted their NCAA friends and got us in California instead of Houston so they could have a paid work trip to their native homeland. Regardless, our regional is winnable:

1. UCLA was not impressive and did not seem like a tournament team when we played them. I would have put UConn or Miami in over UCLA. On the other hand for us, it is tough to beat a team 4 times in a row which we would have to do against UCLA.

2. Long Beach State is a good team like usual. They beat TCU 7-0 in a 1 game series. On the other hand, they went 1-2 against OU, 0-2 against UCLA and 0-2 against San Diego State. They are probably not happy about their regional.

3. San Diego State seems like a really good 4 seed and likely to pull off the upset. Ideally we beat UCLA and San Diego State beats Long Beach. We'll have to see.

I like having another shot at Stanford IF we both win our regional. We were able to play with Stanford.

My regional predictions:
    1. Oregon State wins easy.
    2. Clemson wins.
    3. UT pulls it off.
    4. Stanford wins.
    5. Tech wins a tough one over a good Sam Houston State or a good Arizona.
    6. Florida State wins.
    7. Mississippi State or South Alabama wins.
    8. LSU cruises to the CWS unless they really mess up.
    9. UNC wins, but Florida Gulf Coast could upset.
    10. Hopefully Baylor eliminates A&M for the Big XII. Baylor or U of H wins. Iowa goes out 0-2.
    11. Kentucky wins an easy regional.
    12. Loserville wins as OU is not good on the road.
    13. TCU wins a tough one, but without Luken Baker, DBU or Virginia could pull an upset.
    14. Okie State or Oral Roberts pulls off the upset over Arkansas.
    15. West Virginia wins what I think is actually the easiest regional for any Big 12 team.
    16. Florida wins.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Defending champs Coastal Carolina must have graduated their best players. It was fun watching them win last year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

SWC sends a record 8 teams to the tourney.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Good catch! At 37-19-1, they should have been in before any Big Ten team, even with an RPI in the 50s. Like I said, I think there is some big conference collusion going on.

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  12. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Well, if by 8 you're including piggy, aggy, Rice, UH, it's more like 10.

aggy wasn't an original member (1915), nor Rice (provisional), nor Tceh, nor UH, but OU and OsU were (OsU was original member as Oklahoma A&M).

I think that's 10 in this year's regionals that were at one time SWC members?

P.S., other members who were once SWC members, SMU (long time), Phillips (1 year).

Said another way, there have been 12 schools who were at one time SWC members.

10 of those schools are in the 2017 regional field.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas did get a good draw., but OSU may have gotten a better one.

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Rebuild the SWC as the first 16 team power conference?

UT
    OU
    OkSt
    Baylor
    TTU
    TCU
    Kansas
    KState
    LSU
    a$m
    Ark
    Rice
    UH
    SMU
    AZ
    AZSt

I don't want UH in my conference but if it put the old SWC back together, I could live with it.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Drop Baylor and aggy and add Colorado and Utah.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts