NCAA Super Regional: Texas v. USF

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You can hit a 3 RBI triple, and there will be some folks who will biatch that you didn’t hit a home run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Too bad it wasn't being played on the PA but I'll take it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I resemble that remark

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. WJHorn

WJHorn 25+ Posts

Don't bet on 3-4-5. The only one that has a clue when it matters is Cam, and he went cold tonight.

• poop poop x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Agreed. The fielding in general was spot on tonight. A key double play. Some good grabs. Even the pitcher fielding well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was a nice and surprising event that ESPN paused so we could watch the players sing and we could hear it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. 2003TexasGrad

I was pleasantly surprised by that as well. The haters can suck it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if Pierce has considered moving Ardoin higher up in the lineup?

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, being an NCAA host site.

• Hot Hot x 1
  10. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Don't throw the tall dude an inside hanging curve. Witt did pitch great up to that point and I know coaches don't want to bring the go-ahead run to the plate but that was a bad pitch call. Anyway, we came back and have one to go!

Give EK 3 game balls- the sliding catch, the infield single that ended up getting run #2 and the final RBI.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

12. 2003TexasGrad

That makes sense. So not technically a "home" game by NCAA standards.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with you about not giving the kid anything to hit, and if he walks, so be it, BUT I'm also old enough to remember when Gus did that, walked the kid to get to a hitter named Reggie Jackson - BOOM!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I dreaded the Cinderella story that was about to unfold. Some lanky 6’6” Freshman batter, who had been injured almost all year, and hadn’t hit a home run in about 4 months, comes off the bench and jacks one all the way to the cemetery to tie it. Then they go ahead in extra innings and win. While we sit there dumbfounded and wondering what just happened?!?!???

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. WJHorn

WJHorn 25+ Posts

Thanks goodness for Kennedy - he had been benched until Pierce finally came to his senses in the second game of the Regional.

• poop poop x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to nitpick, but technically it would have been closer to the Whataburger at 19th & Airport. If he hit it downtown, it wouldn't bother me because it would have been a foul ball.

:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Wild Finish highlights

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. I changed it to the cemetery. But that still might be a foul ball…
    :beertoast:

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Couple of things to keep in mind:

Teams will have an off night at the plate in the tournament, but winning those games even when you are struggling is what gets you to Omaha and gets you a chance to play for a title;
    Last week this same USF team beat the consensus pre-season number one Florida and then Miami in back to back games where those teams couldn't overcome their cold bats;
    Last week Tennessee was down 3 to Wright State in the bottom of the ninth and came back to win and today is the same one game from Omaha Texas is and nobody cares that they had an off night and had to walk it off against a four seed;
    Good teams overcome and tonight that's exactly what Texas did.:hookem:

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Our deep excellent pitching staff keeps us in every series.

• Like Like x 3
  21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

23. 2003TexasGrad

I wish the game was a little earlier. 6pm wouldn't be too hot would it?

• Like Like x 3
  24. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

This old guy might have to brew of pot of Major Dickason's Blend to stay awake past the 7th inning.

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wasn't the best game I've seen the Horns play, but an ugly win is better that a pretty loss any day.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Very true. Survive and advance. Now that this has been acknowledged, can we proceed to identify and hire the best available hitting coach in the country?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Ut forever

Ut forever 25+ Posts

Teams that win it all have games like that from time to time... Just win and keep going... This team sometimes just goes cold at the plate from 1 thru 9 in the batting order. Last night they did what they had to do to win and thank god Kennedy hustled and beat out the throw early in the game and that last at bat was clutch... Sometimes You have to maximize 6 hits at the right time and have one or two guys carry the team..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Oh no...Lets win today with what we have today..Hookem :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Ask Nebraska about that. They are up 26-8 over NCSt (aggregate score) but face elimination later today.

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

For us old timers, how many times have we seen great teams (Texas & others) arrive in Omaha and watch their bats go dead, particularly under the old format (before the NCAA grabbed their ankles for TV). Under that old format, you needed 8-9 pitchers in Omaha. Now you need two & a good relief, but preferably 5-6.

• Agree Agree x 1