NCAA Tournament 2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Mar 13, 2022.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

UConn looks beatable to me. My guess is they go out next round. :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

AZ down 14 to North Carolina midway through Qtr 2

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Huskies up 12 with 4 minutes to go, starting to pull away.

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well, wait now, not over yet at all, with 2 minutes to go UCF has cut it back down to 5.

5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

UConn holds on despite going completely cold down the stretch. Didn't score in the last 4 to 5 minutes until hitting some FTs after clock-stopping fouls in the final seconds.

7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lots of time to analyze. Early thoughts. Ohio State is real good. Point guard is really good, although she had 6 turnovers. OS had 20 turnovers…a lot due to late zone trap by LSU. Play 4 guards and one forward lineup. They are good passers against a zone trap as all their 4 guard lineup are big (5’-10 or taller). Our pressure of course is a lot different. We’ll have to not foul as they are good free throw shooters. They also hit 10-22 BTA so similar to Utah. Their half court defense in the middle is bad. Harmon should have a field day on the drives and dishes and pull-up jumpers. We’ll be undersized at all positions except post. Ebo and their post(forward) are same size. However she’ll step out for the three. We’ll need to shoot well to win and the shots will be there. Not as good as we did against Utah but 45-50% would be nice. It’ll be interesting if OS plays their zone trap against us. Tennessee played it late and it beat us. We’re better now. Harmon should be able to slice and dice it so they may not use it. Unless they get behind and want to speed us up. I don’t see this as a blowout either way. I think it’ll be close to the end. If Matharu can loosen them up a little, we should be ok.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I can't get over how well Aaliyah Moore has been playing the last few games. What is she doing (in getting great position) down low that our other front court players just can't seem to do as easily? The only thing that comes to mind is that she is moving a lot more than the others in making herself available for the guards to feed her easy entry passes near the basket.

• Like Like x 4
  9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

One additional thought. Their big forward or post (6’-4”) is not real mobile. Schaefer may want to play Moore against her. If Moore’s shooting threat from the elbows can pull her out, then our guards can drive better. OS does play man but it’s vulnerable to penetration. Our dribble drive scheme should work …..or a big (Ebo or Moore) at the free throw line with Harmon working her magic there should be a bread and butter play.

• Like Like x 6
  10. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Great analysis, flash 34. I think Ohio State looks as scary as hell. Their size, their 3 point shooting from tall guards, including the best shooter in the country percentage wise, their use of the back door which we are so vulnerable to, decent looking speed and quickness, good looking defense. Yikes. But I think we are up to the challenge. I don't expect them to look nearly as good against us as they did against LSU. I trust Vic will have a great game plan. Should be a very good game.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

12. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

Ice baths help greatly in reducing inflammation. They aren't fun, but last only for 5-8 minutes.

13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Moore has a low center of gravity so can get and hold position better. She also does her work early by anticipating angles and leverage. She gives the guards an idea where she wants the pass. She uses either hand and just demands the ball. Ebo does similar but not as well. Guards need to know you want it so demand it from them. Her footwork is also good. Her injury kept her from doing stuff. I also think she’s In better shape now….better mobility. I now see why Schaefer pointed out in the presser that there were reasons she was seen as the number 6 recruit this last year.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

JoeD…..LSU gave OSU lots of openings that hopefully we don’t. Once LSU had to speed up the game trying to catch up, it got kinda out of system. Everybody has a plan to start with and then it’s the adjustments that maybe are the difference maker. The OSU coach is very impressive just from observations so it’ll be interesting what his initial plan is…..and if it works. Same for Schaefer….although I don’t see him deviating much. I have …..just one more observation before I sign off. Other than late in the Tennessee game, I can’t remember any team pressing us full court. Maybe my memory is fading but …Harmon is the reason. It’s been a real luxury this year to have zero teams try it. They know she’ll go right through it. I almost hope they try it. I think it’ll lead to a faster game and we’ll be shooting layups. Could the OSU coach go against his base defense and play zone …..and feel we won’t shoot as well as we did against Utah?

• Like Like x 1
  16. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

ESPNW (Creme) has just reseeded the Sweet Sixteen teams. Texas is still a number 2 and number 7 overall. OSU is a number 4 and number 15 overall, with Creighton at 16. Says some good things about Texas and mostly good about OSU. Mentions their struggle in their first game. Stanford replaces S. Carolina at number 1 while gushing. Can’t disagree. Would be nice to take Stanford down twice in one year. First things first. Let’s look impressive in a takedown of OS.

• Like Like x 6
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Agree but he’s got Texas overall at #6 I believe

18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Hornview….you’re correct! #6 it is. Every move up by Horns helps my mood. My wife will be very happy with you in the morning. And maybe with me. Keep me straight!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good analysis. Seems to me Moore has almost all of Ebo's strength with better foot speed and mobility.

I am just glad both of them are wearing Burnt Orange!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Moore also goes and gets the ball off the rim, she doesn't just box out and let it fall into her hands. That makes a big difference.

• Agree Agree x 7
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree with all that. I don't think anyone has run a press on us all year. Could work to our favor. Harmon and Matharu are quicker than their guards.

22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I was thinking more in terms of getting offensive post position so she is in a great spot to beat the defender when she receives the entry pass, but she is an absolute beast on the boards too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Spot on. She is a quick leaper and quick to the ball. There was a play when we beat Baylor where she went between Smith and Egbo and got the rebound because she was quicker to the ball AND more powerful...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  24. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

If they are down, I would expect him to try a zone, like Tennessee did. He seems like a savvy coach.

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I watched Mulkey's post-game presser, and she stated that Ohio State had been out-rebounded pretty much all season; I like hearing that.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Women's NCAA tournament 2022 - Reseeding the Sweet 16 (espn.com)

• Like Like x 3
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, she did that against Smith and Egbo a couple of times I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, that also.

29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

OSU reminds me of Noter Dame. They can definitely shoot. We can win, but it won't be easy. We need a shooting performance similar to Utah. That won't be easy on the road. Will come down to the last 2 min.

30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Rori and Aaliyah Moore listed in Top 25 players in the Sweet Sixteen by ESPN.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1