NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Chop, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're most likely looking at a 3 or 4 seed, depending on how the Big 12 tourney goes. If the favored teams win out in the Big Dance, then the 3 seed plays the 1 seed in the Elite 8, while the 4 seed plays the 1 seed in the Sweet 16. So it does make a difference.

Nothing is set in stone, but the number 1 seeds will likely be:

Gonzaga
    Baylor
    Michigan
    Illinois

Other possible 1 seeds would be Iowa, WV (not joking), aOSU, or Alabama. It's refreshing to see WV ranked #6 and a dark horse for a #1 seed (unlikely) and likely a #2 seed. I say that because we have proven we're just as good as WV. We beat them in a tight game, then they beat us in a tight game. After Gonzaga and Baylor, there's a lot of really good teams out there--including WV and us.

It's been a long time since Gonzaga played anyone good, but early in the season, they beat KU (by 12 pts), WV (by 5 pts), UVA, and Iowa.

We know about Baylor.

Michigan has been on a tear since early in the year. MSU just beat them though, and Illinois beat them last week 76-53.

Illinois has come on very strong late in the year with recent big wins over Big Blue and Ohio State. I'd rather face Big Blue than U of I if the game was held tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Based only on the latest AP Top 25, some possible seedings are below:

Note, I think we could evenly match up with any of the 2 or 3 seeds. We've defeated 3 of them already this year.

1 seeds:

Gonzaga
    Baylor
    Illinois
    Michigan

2 seeds:

Iowa
    Alabama
    Houston
    Arkansas

3 seeds:

aOSU
    WV
    Kansas
    Oklahoma State

4 seeds:

Texas
    Villanova
    Florida State
    Virginia

5 seeds:

Creighton
    Loyola of Chicago
    San Diego State
    Texas Tech

6 seeds:

Purdue
    Virginia Tech
    Colorado
    USC

7 seeds:

Oklahoma
    BYU
    Oregon
    U Conn

8 seeds:

Clemson
    Wisconsin
    Tennessee
    Wichita State

9 seeds:

St. Bonaventure
    Winthrop
    Va. Commonwealth
    LSU

10 seeds:

San Diego
    Michigan State --- they'll probably be seeded MUCH higher based on late-season performance
    UC Santa Barbara
    someone else

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If I was CDC, I would tell Shaka and the team that if you don’t beat tech, you are going to the NIT.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So we’re going to the Big Dance!?!?!?!?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Houston is intriguing. I’d like to see them go far, but I’m not sure how good they really are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Are we a 3 seed?

Or if we make the final against (probably) Baylor do we scoot up to a 2?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Lunardi had us as a 3 seed before last night. Beating Tech didn't move the needle. But adding a 3rd win against KU and a good showing against Baylor might.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Agreed but I think getting to a 2 seed will require a win against Baylor or an OT loss. I don't know if the Kansas game does anything. A blowout loss might move us back to a 4 seed. But a competitive game, win or lose shouldn't move us from a 3 seed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Some of the hoped for upwards movement will be out of our hands, and based on upsets in other tourneys.

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You cannot win unless you are in. Once in your face is in your hands. Play hard and smart and good things can occur.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Seeding bears a rough correlation to the Top 25. So, if we end up in the Top 12 (#9-#12), that would correspond to a 3 seed. Top 8 (#5-#8) = 2 seed. It's not exact, of course, but it's a good measure to consider.

As it stands now, the 3 seeds are very beatable. The 2 seeds are pretty tough--but so are we.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gotta believe Texas is locked in to 3 seed now. Hard to see the horns jumping to a 2 even if they win the tourny tomorrow.

13. Sangre Naranjada

I tend to agree. Had we won 3 games for the tourny title then yes a 2 seed was a possibility. Now, I just don't see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

NIT, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

CBI baby!

16. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

USA Today still has us as a 4. They have Rick Barnes and the Rocky Top's as a 6 in the same "Region". That would be kind of fun.

They also have OSU as a 3 and OU as a 6.

:texasflag:

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If we win tonight we’re a 3 seed, or else we got robbed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No way Horns should be anything but a 2 or 3 seed. They have earned it the last two games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Arkansas lost to LSU today. Might cost them a 2 seed and let us slide in.

But Ohio State beat Michigan, so they’re looking solid for a 2 seed about now.

More likely than not, we get a 3 seed. A 2 seed is possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

NIT, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Bleacher report has now moved us up to a 3 seed. No way Okla St, KU, or even WV gets a 3 and we get a 4.

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Texas has to be a solid three as the second or even best 3 seed which hopefully keeps the Horns out of the Gonzaga and Baylor regionals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I'm calling my shot...Texas a 2 seed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I don't think the pollsters rate conference tournament games as highly as regular season. It is what it is. And considering that we got to skip over KU, I don't think anything changes from a seeding standpoint. I don't see how we convince anyone that we're back up to #8 overall or better.

Lunardi has us as the #3 in Illinois' region. UH is the #2 we'd face in the Sweet 16 (assuming no upsets).

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

With Houston as a 2 seed, there may be some reluctance by some of the committee to put another Texas team in the 1 or 2 seeds. I’ve lived in NY, and the feelings towards the State of Texas are not all warm and fuzzy up there.

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’m very interested in the Houston Cougars. They’ll get a 2 seed, and with a win this afternoon over Cincy for their conference title, they shouldn’t be in Gonzaga’s region.

They beat Tech, and beat Memphis twice, but have three losses—each to very pedestrian teams. So there’s really no accurate gauge measuring how good this team really is yet.

I hope they’re not in our bracket so I can also root for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

More and more sports sites are projecting us as a 3 seed. 247 Sports has Okla State as a 2 seed; WTF...:rolleyes1:

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So where will the aggies be seeded at the end of the day?

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

They'll have a tourney seeding watch party in their spacious trophy room. They have a boot sliding competition planned after it just in case they don't make it. :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 7