NCAA Tourney

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Mar 5, 2018.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Oregon State is very similar to ASU which is why I think they will be a very tough matchup for Texas.

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

https://www.hookem.com/story/ncaa-w...rizona-state-will-match-strength-vs-strength/
    Battle of the Boards!

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Always the case... they run a very good half court offense with a lot of motion that's extremely hard to defend.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Baylor in a fight with Michigan in the first quarter, up 20-19. Michigan with 3-7 from BTA. Cox with six pts to lead Baylor.

5. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

She CAN redshirt and probably will..nothing official, but that's about the only explanation for her not playing!

6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I think we take ASU. Am going with an early lead that we sustain. Not even close. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it until it isn’t true.

• Like Like x 6
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Baylor is the first of the Big 12 teams to advance to the Sweet 16. They blitzed Michigan in the second half and won 80-58.

Texas and Okie State will take their shots at joining the Lady Bears in the Sweet Sixteen with Okie State having the most difficult path on paper as they face #1 seed Miss. State. at Starkville, MS. Horns will face off with Arizona State in Austin Monday.

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

From this site: https://healthfully.com/college-basketball-redshirting-rules-6716421.html
    Medical hardship redshirt:
    An athlete can qualify for this exemption if she has a documented, incapacitating injury or illness that occurred in the first half of the basketball season and the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of her team's scheduled contests, whichever number is greater.

I looked up the stats for her:
    [​IMG]

Unsure how her 8 games would qualify under the 20% rule.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

11. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

I don't know where that website got it's numbers. The cutoff is 30%.

12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

second preview from the Tempe, AZ paper:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2018/03/18/asu-women-face-texas-ncaa-tournament-second-round-game-austin/436223002/

• Like Like x 1
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The original answer was correct - no redshirt after playing. What they forgot was the medical part, and the percentage for football is 30%. Basketball could be different, but I am too lazy to look it up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The 30% number is correct, my bad.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?bylawId=20655

(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport's Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations; and

• Like Like x 2
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Mid-American Conference with Buffalo knocking Florida State 86-65 and with Central Michigan leading Ohio State 84-69 with 2:35 to go looking good to send two teams to the Sweet 16.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Great to see the Women's game grow.
    All of the upset's, show that.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 2
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

85-65 Texas! :yippee:
    Next up in the Sweet 16 is UCLA.
    Great game from Mide in the second quarter when so many of our posts were sitting on the bench with two fouls.

• Like Like x 7
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Moving on:

ACC: 8 got in; 4 in the Sweet 16

Big 12; 4 got in; 2 in the Sweet 16

Big 10; 6 got in; zero in the Sweet 16

PAC 12; 6 got in; 4 in the Sweet 16

SEC: 7 got in; 3 in the Sweet 16

AAC: 1 in the Sweet 16

MAC: 2 in the Sweet 16

• Like Like x 1
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

3/23

6:00 PM CST
    #1 Miss. State vf #4 North Carolina State

8:00 PM CST
    #2 Texas vs #3 UCLA

21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Sweet 16. :bevo:

• Like Like x 4
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Glad we won. Hope we never see that horrible excuse for a reffing squad again.

• Like Like x 3
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.espn.com/ncw/undefined
    Of course, they forgot to mention that Mide gave the team 11 very valuable minutes during which she grabbed 7 rebs and scored 9 pts. She was perfect from the field (4-4 FGs & 1-1 FTs). :bow: Including the only block recorded by the Horns.

• Like Like x 8
  25. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Gosh, isn’t that the truth! I didn’t recognize any of them.

I was disappointed in the crowd size and was hoping to equal the UConn game...not even close. It was an 8 o’clock game so traffic was not an excuse to not go. I knew when parking wasn’t that bad, I’d be disappointed in our turnout.

Mide had her a game! I couldn’t help but think her overall contribution was above what we could have gotten out of Rellah tonight. She was tough on the boards. It’s clear she’s a team favorite based on the bench reactions for her. They really enjoyed it. I’m sick about no Rellah, but glad Mide is seizing the moment.

Back to the refs...ugh. Charli worked em hard in the first half and they obliged. Can’t wait to watch the replay because of that and several things going on that we couldn’t figure out. Game delays etc. I just thought they were horrible, horrible!

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  26. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

When you shoot 63% and beat a team to death on the boards like that, you are going to beat a lot of teams. With the exception of turnovers, it was a pretty impressive display for this sub-regional, (or what ever they call them now).

:hookem2::hookem2::hammertime::hammertime::hammertime::hammertime::hammertime::hookem2::hookem2:

• Like Like x 6
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed! Aside from the Tom's it was very fun to watch.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I will say that the fouls called on Texas (especially Khaleann, Jordan, and Joyner) were valid fouls. But, it seemed like the refs just weren't blowing the whistle on ASU players, especially those bumping our guards all night long.

On the flip side, I am glad the fouls weren't called on Ariel and Brooke; it allowed them to stay in the game most of the night, and even though it took Brooke a while to get her offense started, we needed our seniors on the floor 38+ minutes.

• Like Like x 5
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Twice they went to the monitor to “check” Holmes for unsportsmanlike, but ASU 33 literally grabs and throws Sutton to the ground and...

Two walks on Brooke that were anything but...

A walk on Mide that was imaginary...

ASU might as well have put ladders on the backs of our posts...

Working through a screen is not a foul...

The ball is out on the LAST person who touches it...

Just pathetic for a tournament squad.

• Like Like x 6
  30. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Family!!! You gotta love this team!
    Coach KA recognizing Mide for her efforts!!

• Like Like x 10