NCAA Transfer Season - 2017

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I have no issues with players deciding to transfer. Regardless of the reasons, they are entitled to leave one school for another. It happens in all sports. And, it's been happening for decades. IMO, it's happening much more these days because players see on social media (twitter) that other players are transferring, and it probably provides them with that confidence boost (and comfort) to know that they are not the only one wanting to find a new school.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

That's so true what you said Moooooo.
    Hookem'

3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

What get me, it's good player's transfering out of good programs.

4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This is what has really surprised me about all this - very good starting players on good teams - not the typical good player buried 7-9 on the bench.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

The deluge continues. There's a lot of talent loose out there. Boley got some good minutes at ND this year. She looked good. McD All American. This is in the minor shock category.

#JumpOffPlus THIS JUST IN Both RS Fr. Ali Patberg & Fr. Erin Boley are leaving Notre Dame. Contact me via text.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

This just keeps getting weirder. Patberg's transfer doesn't surprise me as much as Boley's.
    Patberg was a highly rated recruit (#13) and McDAA in the 2015 class but, after redshirting, got less than 8 minutes a game this year. From ND Insider: "Patberg likely would have come off the bench again next season with Notre Dame bringing in former Stanford point guard Lily Thompson as a grad transfer who will be eligible to play in the fall."

Boley got 10 starts for the Irish this season (15 min/game), shot 39.5% from BTA on 120 attempts and 89% on her free throws. Notre Dame only signed a 2 player class - a couple of 6' 3" forwards, one a perimeter player, the other a PF. I guess she didn't want to sit behind Westbeld another season?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I am really surprised by Boley. I assumed she would be one of ND's best players, maybe next year, and at least by Junior year. This is getting weird.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Gosh this is surprising when you actually see it in print!
    upload_2017-4-10_18-4-36.png

9. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Everybody keep notes. This is going to be great lab test of my theory that the Free Agent period will primarily benefit the very top schools. I would love to be wrong. Unless it benefits U.T., too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Less than a week before she announced her transfer...

• Like Like x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Carousel hasn't stopped spinning for the 2016 class.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I wonder where they will transfer. Closer to home? Another power house WCBB school? A smaller school? Better academics? Their 2nd choice school? 3rd choice? A school not even on their list? Final Four team?

And the waiting begins....

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Not a big name but possibly a familiar one to Longhorn fans. Doesn't say whether she is transferring.

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Or, thinking the worst because it's....you know Baylor. Kim is clearing 2 slots for transfers in.

15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This is a very likely situation.

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Former 5-star leaving Duke.

17. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Kim may be happy for two vacant slots, but I think the players are probably clearing the slots themselves. They've got good reason to go if they want to play much. Baylor will be awash in highly rated freshman guards next year, and playing time for these two seemed doubtful.

18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I would imagine that, as there should be, candid conversations take place after season's end between players and coaches that help both sides determine what's best.

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

TCU's top scorer:

20. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

That would be a big setback for TCU. I was really impressed with Alix the times I saw her play this year. She's definitely a baller.

21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think Baylor will be a player for her as she did visit them officially and her mom played with Mulkey, I believe. Someone else noted here they she is friends with Joyner and Jada, so I guess there is a chance we could be in the mix depending on what happens with Destiny Littleton.

22. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, I think she will probably end up at Baylor. But Coach Aston should also be interested in her. She would be a nice backup plan if Texas doesn't get Destiny Littleton. I actually think that Kysre would be a better fit than Littleton because she would be eligible to play when Ariel graduates. Even if Texas gets Littleton I don't think she's going to get a ton of playing time this year because of the experienced perimeter players like Ariel that are already on the roster.

23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I see your point. But, Littleton would be eligible for the upcoming season, while Gondrezick would not. Knowing that Ariel gets in foul trouble, having Littleton available to come in and provide some offensive firepower from the perimeter would be a benefit.

Granted, having Chasity on board does give us a lot of flexibility with our back court combinations; but, she doesn't bring the size Littleton does. And, while Higgs has good length, she is at her best driving to the basket, not necessarily shooting from the perimeter.

We've also seen our players last year struggling to make jumpers; adding another offensive-minded player like Littleton to go with Patterson and Boothe really increases our firepower for the upcoming season and then again once Brooke and Ariel depart.

• Like Like x 6
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'd add that reduced playing time/coming off the bench next season would give Littleton a bit of a break from being beat on like a drum for the past year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Transferring from Michigan to Baylor would be strictly a basketball move - taking a step (or three) down academically.

• Like Like x 2
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Gasp! How sayeth you? When an old friend's daughter was visiting Baylor, they touted their academics and said, "Think of us as Harvard on the Brazos". She transferred to North Texas after 3 semesters.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

How many universities are on the Brazos? An idiot can truly say he's the smartest guy in the room when he's alone. ;)

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Baylor takes a hit!

• Like Like x 4
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

BIG hit... Much better player than Cox IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Littleton will play PLENTY of minutes if she chooses Texas... Not only is Atkins in foul trouble almost every game, Aston also likes to keep fresh legs in the game...especially those that would belong to a player with Littleton's offensive prowess.

• Like Like x 1