NCState Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Mar 18, 2017.

1. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Yes on gutting that game out Texas Longhorns!!!! :coolnana:

• Like Like x 2
  2. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

That game was pure torture, but wonderful in the end. Joyner and Brooke unbelievable.

• Like Like x 3
  3. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

So do we want Stanford or KSU to win?

4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Lobo can jump in the lake. If there were bad calls, which there were, we got just as many bad ones as they did. Wilson did most certainly charge on that last play.

• Like Like x 10
  5. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Y
    You tell her JOE

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

That was a rollercoaster of a game! Glad we pulled it out. It was about toughness at the end.

That flagrant call against Sutton was ridiculous; she clearly was going for the ball, and even touched the ball.

Joyner stood her ground to get that charge call. That little hop she took backwards may have been again as the player made contact with her; I couldn't tell for sure.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

This group of officials called just about every charge/block call in favor of the defender; going against that at the last minute would have been totally out of character.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  8. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I tweeted her accordingly. You also can't tell me they wouldn't have called an and-one if not the right offensive foul call, so there was not going to be a no-call Rebecca

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

It was a total team effort.

But, Joyner's three pointer to beat the buzzer, and a couple of rebounds off missed free throws and the baskets, especially that last one in the final seconds were just the biggest plays of the game in my opinion. And, of course, her taking the charge. She made the most crucial plays of the game today.

• Like Like x 5
  10. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Glad to say that I was wrong although NC State guard play almost won it for them.

11. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

. What is the word on Sutton's injury? Serious? Knee? I was working and couldn't watch game

12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That last minute was sloppy on both ends...by both teams. Was quite surprised that the refs actually made the charge call given what was on the line at that juncture. Without the call, that was potentially ballgame and a si seed advances...

The sloppy in-bounds plays and then Texas losing the ball as the shot clock expired is something that NEITHER team should have been experiencing at that juncture of a game at this point in a season.

Texas has a week to tighten things up...

• Like Like x 1
  13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

There was some pretty good defense going on...

14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

What a game! I have said it from the start of the season this team is mentally TOUGH! And it comes from one person, Brooke McCarty! In all the losses we had at the end of the season we tighten up on our shots and try to place the ball instead of just "shooting" it!! Lashan and Arial both short armed a couple of 3 foot shots because they were trying to place the ball instead of just relaxing!
    I will have to also say Aston did a GREAT job of substitution to keep our girls in foul trouble available at the end of the game! Of course our bench depth is the best in all of college basketball!

• Like Like x 2
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Can't even give them a compliment? Really? :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 2
  16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. Aston's coaching today was stellar. We could have easily fouled out as many as NC State. Keeping the bench in for almost the entire 2nd and much of the third was a gutsy move. Good job, coach.

• Like Like x 3
  17. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

The officials sucked - until they didn't making a crucial charge call. Not sure it was a charge but I'll take it. The Horns never quit and Brooke and Joyner we outstanding.

Also best crowd of the season. Everyone was standing and cheering (with no old farts behind us yelling "Sit down!"). Maybe the season ticket holders (and I am one) who sit on their butts and complain when anyone stands didn't make it. Whatever happened it would be great to see that kind of raucous crowd throughout the year. I think the crowd helped pull that one out.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I will certainly give them ad A+ for effort, determination and fight, but a D for BB IQ, including the coach. Yes, it was smart to put starters on then bench with 2 fouls but just about everyone does that except the NCSt coach. There's a reason Spencer had a career high, and she's a SR. All she had to do is drive to the basket and score. get fouled or both. Had their coach been smart and focused on it more they would have won.

Sometimes you have to switch up the defense. The man to man wasn't working and we never adjusted. Shame on Karen, and shame on some of our players that telegraph every pass, never do a pump fake and throw it away without even looking where they're passing. Especially SR's who should be doing just the opposite.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, I still believe that those players who (over the course of the season) pick up an early foul in the first quarter and follow that up with a pretty quick second foul need to be pulled and put on the bench just to calm down a bit and think about how important it will be for them to not pick up that second foul when they return to the game. Coach A still hasn't learned that Brianna and Ariel are two of those players who are likely to pick up a quick second foul if she doesn't pull them after the first foul.

Today, NC State kind of had the same issue. Perhaps they don't have a lot of depth.

20. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

It was a tough game to watch at times, but so proud of how they kept battling. And Joyner came up big in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Had to miss the first game due to Spring Break, but glad I showed up for the second:
    • I was told by seat neighbors that NC State lit up their first opponent with 3's. I was shocked we held them to only 2
    • What I thought would cost us in tournament play, free throws, saved us
    • I thought the tough schedule at the beginning of the year was going to bite us at the end of the year, but maybe Karen knew what she was doing all along
    • I was surprised that Karen called so many timeouts in the second half. I thought for sure she would save one or two for the last minute or so. But, apparently Karen knew what she was doing again
    • I haven't checked the box score, but our bench and the luxury to reserve the starters in foul trouble for later in the game was so obvious compared to NC State's situation
    • Joyner's determination near the end was beautiful
    • Finally, a Longhorn site has started writing about the Lady Longhorns cause (cough, cough) there's no other team in burnt orange to write about right now
    • http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...-84-nc-state-wolfpack-80-2017-ncaa-tournament

• Like Like x 1
  22. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

You know how I think...

• Like Like x 4
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Twice in the fourth quarter, NC State had the ball and missed a shot. Texas got the rebounds on the misses. NC State fouled the rebounder. Texas was in the bonus, and went to shoot free throws making all four, I believe. For a Texas team that was struggling to find any kind of offensive flow, NC State fouling Texas after their own missed shots was the worst thing they could have done as Texas was having trouble scoring baskets.

Here are the stats:

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-women/d1/2017/03/19/north-carolina-st-texas

NC State with 4 assists in the game.

NC State, who I thought was a good 3 point shooting team, was 7 of 28 on Friday, and 2 of 11 against us.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It's very worrying about Sutton, who was wonderful today. Sorry Dr. D missed the game and hope he/she DVRed it. I would like his/her opinion.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Really glad (and relieved) we are in the Sweet 16 for the third straight year. It is so important for the program to make it to the second weekend of the tournament. Recruits notice. We want that to be our minimum goal each season. Tremendous milestone for Coach Aston.

During the Heather Schreiber, Stacy Stephens, and Jamie Carey years, the Coach Conradt was able to string together 3 consecutive Sweet 16 appearances. But, that was it. They fell short their senior season in an upset loss to Georgia in Dallas in the round of 32.

So, this is tremendous for Coach A as it has only been done at Texas once in the last 20-25 years. So happy and excited for her and the future.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The way she walked off it doesn't look like a reinjury to her knee. Also, watching the replay there was nothing to indicate a ligament tear when she landed. If I had to guess, I'd say she got a thigh contusion from the midair contact with the NCST player.

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I posted this in comments in another site. But I thought it sufficient to repost here:

Rick Barnes’ years as head coach: 17
    Rick Barnes’ number of Sweet Sixteens: 5

Karen Aston’s years as head coach: 5
    Karen Aston’s number of Sweet Sixteens: 3

Of course, you could also look at it this way:
    Men’s basketball number of Sweet Sixteens: 10
    Women’s basketball number of Sweet Sixteens: 14 (including today’s win)

I liked Rick alot, so it's not a slam against him. It's a slam against the weak attention that the women's team gets.

• Like Like x 5
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Good news from Sug:

• Like Like x 7
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Didn't want to create a new thread but just finished watching South Carolina eke out a win versus ASU and saw former Longhorn Sara Hattis on the ASU bench - don't think she got into the game.