Nebraska... Remember them?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn2RunAgain, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

huskers down 21-14 with a minute left. Northern Illinois about to ice the game, inside the red zone. NU defenders taking classless cheap shots late in the game.

Last time I went by their board, Texas was the reason for the fall of their program. ...that was ten years ago.

2. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Never should have left the Big XII. They are now more irrelevant than they were becoming in the Big XII. Probably would have had more success staying. Michigan, tOSU, Penn St., and Wisconsin own the league.

• Like Like x 2
  3. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Remember the Mackovica rule and the RB who regularly beat the hell out of his girlfriend. Dr Tom Scumbag left when he his cheating ways were removed. NU showed the way for Baylor and other completely classless programs. I am very happy to be as far removed from that scum as possible.

4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I used to read their board often. When the talk of moving to the b1g began, they were all on board. The common thought was the move would pump the program back up via opening up recruiting opportunities in new areas.... Basically what's happened is the decline has continued because they can't recruit *anywhere*

Unless some ou style cheating occurs,I just don't see them coming back. They have no natural recruiting base to tap from. Texas high schools haven't held NU in high regard for quite some time. Whatever they're getting from Cali nowadays isn't what it used to be.

they made their own bed. Hard to blame Dodds or the LHN on what I just saw

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I remember. They were reputed as being a classy, knowledgeable fan base. After we started beating them and ruining their lives routinely, they began giving Aggie fans a run for their money.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Leaving the B12 and ending their rivalry with OU killed them. Did the same to MU. Too bad both of them were too stupid to figure out what was going to happen.

7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

What HIC said.

The Bugeaters were all gracious and magnanimous.

Then James Brown's "Maybe we'll beat THEM by 21 (or whatever it was)" and " roll left" to Lewis, then the Ricky game ending their record setting home win streak, then the (almost) Colt not-in-time toss out of bounds --- all ego crushing games for NU.

The End of Magnanimity.

8. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

There are too many good football programs in the NCAA and Nebraska just hasn't kept up. Bottom line is you have to win regardless of what conference you're in. Otherwise, recruiting will suffer and the losing cycle will just continue.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's not hard for some :/

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You're leaving out the 1999 game that cost them a trip to the national championship, the Vasher pick as time was running out in 2002, VY's coming out party in 2003, Bailey's game winner in 2006, Charles running for like a million yards in the 2nd half of 2007, and Gilbert (of all people) ending yet another home winning streak in arguably our worst season since the 90s. Not that I was keeping track or anything.

• Like Like x 9
  11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

There were at least three games in that streak where we had no business beating them. That's what made it so much fun!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

The Buckeyes are giving the Huskers a royal shellacking. In Lincoln, no less. 42-7, not even halfway into the 3rd quarter.

13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

49-14 tOSU FINAL

14. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I don't think that word means what you think it means. It's now 56-14 with about 5 minutes left.

• Like Like x 2