need a good/cheap body shop for a Nissan...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by unpaintedhuffhines, Aug 12, 2008.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

wife's Murano was hit and we need to get some estimates for the insurance. Any recs in the Austin area?

It's basic front bumper ****.

2. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Only Austin shop I have experience with is B&B on North Lamar. They did great work on my car a few years back, but they've changed ownership apparently since then.

3. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

First decide which you want-good, or cheap.

4. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

yeah, knew that was an oxymoron

it's a lease. Girl who was renting an enterprise rent a car hit us. Enterprise sent an adjuster and they said it would cost roughly $600 to fix. So I need to find a body shop that will do it for that amount. It's relatively minor, hence so I think it can be both cheap and good.

5. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

I'm willing to bet whatever body shop you go to will do the repairs for $600. Even if their computer says "$750", labor is negotiable, esp. when they know that you have the $600 in hand and will not go above that amount.

6. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

All this talk of cars and accidents got my old Austin brain thinking. My dad used to work for the HIghway Department. He had a co-worker everybody called Bondo. I might have heard my dad actually say his real name maybe three or four times.

Anyway, Bondo had this side business going pretty good with his co-workers. He bought, fixed, and sold wrecked cars. My dad experimented with his commuter car first then after it worked really well for him, he used Bondo to help us kids get cars.(four of us total) The first Bondo car I remember driving was an awful Maverick, then we moved up to a Chevy Malibu. I enjoyed that car, it had a pretty good engine. Then when I was a senior getting ready for college my parents called Bondo and bought me a pretty good car. It was a '78 Buick Century Sport Coupe. Nice V-8 engine, decent look to it. This was in 1983.

(My parents got off pretty easy, they bought me a car for $3000, and the National Guard and I paid for college)

Anyway, the deal was, his body shop that he used could do the repairs perfect or not. It was pretty much up to you. Richard would always say, well I can just patch it up, or I can fix it perfectly for you. There's no telling how many thousands of dollars my dad saved buying those cars and having them fixed just short of perfect. Richard came in very handy when it came to teenagers having small wrecks.

The last thing I heard Bondo has since died, but Richard picked up where Bondo left off and is doing basically the same thing. Body shop was located in North Austin, probably off of Lamar, used to be called JR Body Shop.

Richard is the R, I never met the J.