Need advice on a handgun

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by GrooveDog, Feb 23, 2005.

1. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

I'm planning on getting my concealed handgun permit. I'm hoping some of you might be able to recommend a good compact 9mm, or .40 cal semi auto....thanks

2. RiceHorn04

RiceHorn04 100+ Posts

The small frame Glock 9mm is good. Can't remember the exact model number. Its very compact.

3. MrPhlegm

MrPhlegm 250+ Posts

I like the HK MP5.

4. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

You cannot beat a 9mm Glock.

Go to a range and shoot one and compare.

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I like my compact .40 H&K USP, but I don't carry it.

6. goofybevo

goofybevo 250+ Posts

How about you man up and get a real gun, one with stopping power?

I only carry the Desert Eagle .50.

7. Bevoldemort

Bevoldemort 25+ Posts

Has there ever been a single incident ever where someone with a concealed handgun permit and a concealed handgun ever did anything useful with it? Seriously?

8. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

Well if you needed it....you'd sure be glad you had it [​IMG]

9. Teasip63

Teasip63 100+ Posts

Although I own the small 9mm Glock and love it, it is Glock 26 model, I don't carry it because it is too large and heavy to carry all of the time.

If you want a small 9mm you might consider the Kel-Tec 9mm. It is not expensive and it is light. Great customer service from Kel-Tec and their guns are flying off the shelves.

I carry their 32 caliber all the time in my pocket. I have a larger caliber in the car and at home.

10. DMLonghorn

DMLonghorn 100+ Posts

so, you're getting a concealed handgun license, but don't even know what type of gun you want?

sounds like you're getting the license just to use out with the ladies in the bars

11. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

"Has there ever been a single incident ever where someone with a concealed handgun permit and a concealed handgun ever did anything useful with it? Seriously?"

I promise, I would never get car jacked, ever!

12. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

13. DMLonghorn

DMLonghorn 100+ Posts

14. I have a carry permit and when I was taking my class, the instructor (HPD officer) told us a story about a former student who carried a glock. He bought the small 9mm and had it in the front pocket of his pants. He got out of his car and turned around because he forgot something. He reached in his pants pocket to get his key to open the car and the key happened to be in the trigger housing. When he pulled the key out the weapon fired and the bullet entered his thigh in the front of his leg, went through his knee, exited his calf and then re-entered his heel. Glocks don't have safetys. Don't ever buy a gun that does not have a safety.

BTW, I have one of these
    [​IMG]

Ever since I was a Marine I have come to appreciate the .45 acp and the Kimber ultracarry is almost a perfect carry weapon.

15. Austin Orange

Austin Orange 250+ Posts

If you ever have to use it you will be glad you have a .40 or.45. 9 mm just doesnt have the killing power that gives me reassurance.

16. Bevoldemort

Bevoldemort 25+ Posts

You guys are ******* nuts. The killing power? There's been a rash of ******* would-be heroes that would have saved the day and liberated a bunch of wimmen and chillen except that their .38 didn't kill the bad guy(s) when a .45 would have? Oh, if only the dude had a .45 instead of a 9mm.

The idea that you are going to actually accomplish anything with your handgun is absolute lunacy. Seriously. Has anyone EVER done anything with their handgun? I'm sure it has happened, but the whole concept is pretty ******* stupid.

17. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

Dude, your activism was not requested, nor is it appreciated. Go hug a tree on the west mall.

Back on topic...All I have ever owned were .45s. I loved my H&K compact, but I had to sell it. Currently saving up to buy the Kimber from an earlier post. Beautiful gun.

18. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

How much are we talking for the Kimber ???

19. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

What would you say PCH? $800-1000 in Alabama.

20. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

Damn....proud of those babies !!
    But I'm sure the are an awesome gun.

21. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

22. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

[​IMG]

Found this on google...there is a stainless on there for about $750.

Yeah, they are real expensive....hopefully I will have enough money saved by next Christmas...[​IMG]

I assume you are in Texas and taking the class? That in itself is expensive. If you are not in Texas...find and take a class.

....nevermind...just read your bio...

23. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions....I'm saving also, and these replys give me some guns to check out in the mean time..

24. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

The hammer on that Kimber looks bizaare.

Agree that Glock is not a suitable gun due to lack of positive safety. I understand why law enforcement loves it, but they carry their weapon in a holster. A concealed weapon needs to be safe.

Seems like nobody here likes revolvers. Why not just get a nice S&W .357? Better action and safe.

25. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

[​IMG]

WTF?

Actually, if you thought that hammer wierd you should see the one on the H&K compact. You have to rack it to cock it.

I can dig on revolvers...just love the auto.

26. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

I have an H&K .45 USP. Way to big to conceal though.

I would recommend the H&K P2000. They make in both a .40 and a 9mm.

[​IMG]

27. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

28. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

I said that wrong...meant to point out that you couldn't cock it with your thumb...or at least it was quite difficult(not designed for that).

29. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I usually do it with my teeth. [​IMG]

30. Bevoldemort

Bevoldemort 25+ Posts

I'm no tree hugger. I own 2 20 gauge, 2 410, 1 12 gauge, 1 .22 over .410, 1 .22, 1 .222, 1 AR, 1 .243, 1 .25-06, 1 .270, 1 .30-06, 1 .300 Win Mag.

If you were talking about the efficiency of the .243 over the .270 at dispatching a Mulie, I might sit up and take notice. It's a situation that actually comes up in real life for some people. If you were talking about the effective range of a .30-06 over a .300 Win Mag in the high country it would be relevant to something that has actually happened. As it is, you are talking about the effective killing power of various handguns, none of which any of you will ever have the opportunity to use and none of which you will actually need to kill somebody versus threaten them into submission.

The question was what kind of gun to get and the response I gave was designed to encourage the original poster to conclude "Interesting game, Professor Falken. Seems the only winning move is not to play." I doubt it had that effect, but that was the goal, so go hug your own tree.