Need Hotel Advice: LA and San Francisco

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Bevo71, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Planning a vacation this summer.
    Would like to stay near a nice beach area in both places if possible. (San Francisco..maybe on a bluff or something overlooking the Pacific.)

Any ideas that wont break the bank?

Regarding the LA area , I was looking at Ventura. Looks like it is about 90 miles from the center of LA. However they have some nice hotels that are reasonable and on the beach there.
    I am not familiar with that area, insofar as clean and nice and safe.

Suggestions?

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Uhhh...if you are willing to be 90 miles from LA, do San Diego.

Ventura is not particularly nice. Do Santa Barbara, or forget that entire area.

Go South, young man. San Diego has more to do/see, and can fit any budget.

From anywhere in San Diego, here's are a few of the possible day trips:

1) SD Zoo
    2) SD Wild Animal Park
    3) Disneyland
    4) Knotts Berry Farm
    5) USS Midway
    6) Balboa Park/Museums
    7) Temecula Wine Tasting
    8) Rosarito Beach, Mexico
    9) Whale Watching/Sportfishing
    10) Legoland
    11) Universal Studios (a longer drive certainly, but doable.
    12) CA Missions...Mission San Juan Capistrano, etc.

From Ventura up to Santa Barbara is beautiful, but not a lot to do...esp. for kids.

3. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Well..I am considering staying closer to LA for a few days, and driving up to the San Francisco area to stay a couple of nights, then head to Yosemite.
    So, need some ideas for places to stay in the LA and San Francisco area that are reasonably priced and safe!

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

There are several lower cost motels on Lombard in SFO. Never been in them, but they look clean. Not the Fairmont, but not $400+ a night either.

Also, there are a couple of places SOM, that are newer. Some friends stayed in a small European style hotel that backed up to Bay Street and was about $98 a night. Rooms were very small but clean and safe.

In LA, you might check around John Wayne Airport (Costa Mesa & Newport Beach) and up at Manhattan & Redondo Beach for bargains.

5. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Costa Mesa's a long way from Ventura.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

In LA the best beach that is easy to navigate around is Santa Monica. There are several good hotels either right on or across the road from the beach. (Lowe's, Casa Del Mar and Shutters on the Beach are on the beach side; the Fairmont and others are across the street.)

Everything is more expensive than you can imagine, but it is California.

7. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Thanks!

I am looking into a little town (?) called Pacifica near San Francisco. Some hotels (Holiday In Express and a Best Western)there near the beach. Not the Ritz, but Trip Advisor has good reviews for them.

Also, there is a Holiday Inn Express near Venice Beach that looks reasonable. Decent reviews from Trip Advisor as well. Not going places to just hang out in the hotel, so not looking for expensive, but don't want bedbugs, either!

8. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

I'd look into Santa Cruz for the San Francisco portion of the trip. Close enough to do a day trip into the city, but an outstandingly laid-back beach town.