Need Ideas:BBQ Restaurants and Hotels in Dallas

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Bevo71, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

A friend is coming in from the NE the weekend after the OU game.
    We will go to the State Fair and see other sites.

Need to know the best BBQ restaurants there for baby back ribs, and also good hotels that wont break the bank..$85-$150 per night range that have decent views of the Dallas skyline.

Suggestions?

2. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

It is a felony to take someone to a Dallas establishment to show them "texas Barbecue". Should never happen.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

In case it isn't incredibly obvious, BBQ smoke day in and day out is pretty ******* offensive. To find really good BBQ, you have to get into those "less desirable" environs like small towns or depressed ares of big towns where the BBQ smoke is less offensive than rendering plants if the smoke comes every day. There might be exceptions, but that is the general idea in my opinion.

4. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Mike Anderson's is pretty good.(find out the hours open because they are sparse)
    The Link

In Euless there is a good place only open Fri/Sat/Sun North Main BBQ:

The Link

There is a small chain called Sonny Bryan's:

The Link

In a pinch you can get decent Q at the , my opinion, best of the bigger chain bbq's in dallas: The Link

That is the order I would go to eat BBQ but I'm partial to my once a month North Main Friday BBQ lunch.

Out of staters will like all of those, in staters will think they are hit or miss.

Most all of those places distribute actual BBQ sauce. So you lose the BBQ snobs on that point alone.

[​IMG]

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Sonny Bryan's probably the best BBQ in Dallas.

If you want to have BBQ by Sonny's great grandson, skip over west into Pantego and go to David's. The Link

Since 1910... 100 years this year.

Scottsins, in general I would agree with you about Dallas BB. Ft. Worth actually has more decent places. Sonny Bryan's is the exception to the rule IMHO.

6. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the links. ( No pun intended.)

7. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Personally it has been over ten years since Sonny Bryans was worth a crap.

North Main in Euless is about as good as you going to get in Dallas County.

Pretty slim pickings in Dallas for a Texas city but then I have never claimed that Dallas is a Texas city. It has more in common with Kansas City (except for the good bbq) and St. Louis than it does Texas.

8. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Y Sanchez,
    I probably haven't been to a Sonny Bryan's in 10 years, so if it isn't good now that leaves really nothing in Dallas Co. worth a crap. David's is still the bees knees. Have you eaten there? I know one other poser has eaten there and attests to it's goodness.

9. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

10. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

Meshack's BBQ shack in Garland
    Bakers Ribs in Deep Ellum
    Big Al's near Love Field (near Mike Andersons)
    Smoke west of downtown for a upscale BBQ experience (there's an oddity)

The only Sonny Bryan's I ever see recommended is the original location and even that gets dumped on. Spring Creek would be my choice for a chain. Actually had a pretty good rack of ribs once and you get to fill up on sides.

All these places will be hit and miss. No one is consistently good in Dallas hence the reputation. Then again, if your friend hasn't had great BBQ then he might be blown away by whatever he has here.

11. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Some of you might laugh.....but last month I had some of the best BBQ brisket I have ever eaten in my life at the House Of Blues located near the American Airlines Center in Downtown Dallas.

Dallas BBQ does leave a lot to be desired for....but the food at the House of Blues is fantastic.

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

One more vote for Dave's in Pantego (it's on Park Row bewtwen Fielder Road and Bowen). Fortunately it's about a 5-minute drive from my house!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

But.. hope is on the horizon.. and hope is a good thing.. maybe the best thing and no good thing ever dies.
    The Link

14. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Found a great place in Lewisville over the holidays - Dat's Good BBQ. Dat's is in a strip center on 1171, about a mile west of I35E. We liked it so much we went back for a second meal! They are closed on Monday's, but I recommend them any other day of the week. [​IMG]