Negative recruiting news and upcoming game effect

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Oct 30, 2020.

?

Will Negative Recruiting News and Media Reaction Affect Teams Performance and Outcome in Stillwater?

1. Yes, substantially

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. No or very little

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I was in the camp of UT having a good chance to get the W this Saturday in Stillwater and calm things down for the second half stretch run.
    I am now convinced the negative recruiting news of the past few days and subsequent media and social media firestorm will prove too much for the team and substantially and adversely affect the performance and results Saturday...(and ultimately prove the death knell for the season and the program as currently constructed, but that is beside the point of the poll)
    Am very curious how many others believe the latest news will affect our efforts in Stillwater in this manner

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It SHOULDN'T affect them but based on what we've seen from these underachieving malcontents, I ain't puttin' any money on it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Don't think it is possible to play and worse.... Hopefully we get taken to the wood shed and CDC fires TH Sunday am... 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes are going to bury us.

• poop poop x 1
  4. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Too much gets made of off the field stuff impacting a team. It almost never leads to team collapses or such.

If Texas loses Saturday it will be from the same issues we’ve seen before, both this year, and with Herman in general. 1-2 against OSU.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Tommy boy is probably in the locker room telling them how everyone hates them perpetuating the victim mentality. In reality I'm pretty sure nearly 100% are pissed at Tommy not the players.

6. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

We have become Texas Tech, which means there's no way to predict what will happen. We can beat a great team one week, and then lose to East State U the next. We're spoilers. Nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Texas barely beat a Baylor team that wasn't that great to begin with that had very little time to prepare for a game at DKR...So what are the odds they can win on the road against a team the Big 12 is hanging its hat on to get the conference into the play-offs and make some money for the conference in a year where Covid has robbed it of revenue ? Even if Texas could, the refs will not let them walk out of Stillwater with a win.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I'm not really sure how you quantify any of this. Most of the season we've been showing up sloppy, generally not playing as a team, missing tackles, and getting every penalty in the book called on us. If it's more of the same how can it be said it was related to recruiting classes unraveling? If you're sinking to the bottom of the Mariana Trench what's another few gallons of water on top of you going to do?

Guaranteed.

I'd never thought about it like this but you're absolutely right. Whether it's today or in any of the four games after, a third conference loss should pretty much slam the door on our Big 12 CCG aspirations. Will this athletic department make a coaching change in mid-season? That may be what it takes to try to salvage these recruiting classes.

9. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

We can’t afford NOT to fire TH after the very next loss. Recruiting is a lost cause now. The sooner Texas can move on to a new coach the sooner they can make up the lost ground in recruiting!
    However, cutting a coach this early prolly adds $10 Million + on to the next coach’s contract and may add a couple years to the term as well. It’s a BIG difference. We’re beyond the point of no return. These recruiting losses have sealed TH fate. He’s gone!! Texas is a sinking ship!! RE: recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We didn't play great against Baylor but "barely beat" is an exaggeration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GV Longhorn

GV Longhorn 100+ Posts

The ability to tackle may be the Achilles heal today. I hope not though and that we pull off a win.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If not for a couple of high schoolers, we would have won by 20! :D

13. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

What is strange is that I can easily see this team being 6-0 just as easily as I could see them being 1-5. It truly does raise questions about everything that is happening. Coach keeps talking about missing summer camp, etc., because of Covid-19, but hey everybody has that issue to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The averages work out. Texas has won two close games and lost two. Like flipping a coin, heads tails will end up even.