new 3g iphone announced

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by scottsins, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i dont expect it to be, you should be able to get a first gen for $100 fairly easily.

2. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

I dont think they will sell for that cheap. If anything without the phone service you still basically have an ipod touch with wifi internet. Who would want to sell it for that cheap? I will keep my old iphone just as an extra iPod at the least

3. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Can someone tell me the difference between 3G Internet and Wi-Fi Internet?

4. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

WiFI is a LOT faster than 3g. The only problem is you have to be in a 'hotspot' to get Wifi while 3g should work wherever you have cellphone service. The iPhone will detect any Wifi in the area and it should be used over 3g when available. WHen not inside a hotspot it will switch to 3g

5. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

6. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I think they will be going for more than $100. Keep in mind that the original selling price was subsidized by ATT. They closed the loophole on that by having the phone now require instore activation, which means that if you want to take the phone to anohter network, you are out $199/299 + the early cancel fee (another $175 I think), puttin the price right back at around $400.

I think $150-200 is the right price range for an 8GB original iPhone on the secondary market. Yes, you can buy one new at ATT more a marginal difference, but for the people who don't want to go to ATT, they have no other option besides paying $400. I started an ebay auction, so we'll see what the market says.

7. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

8. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

Thanks Bevo_Daddy.

Can someone tell me whether the iPhone syncs better with Gmail, Yahoo or MS Outlook? Or can it sync with all three or do you have to choose 1?

9. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

I sync mine with outlook without any problems. It will do gmail and yahoo too. I am pretty sure you can set it to check all three simultaneously.

10. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

From David Pogue's blog

My other reaction to the new iPhone announcement is amazement that everybody accepts the new 3G speeds as a given. Don’t they know that 3G phones don’t give you any speed boost except in metro areas where the carrier has installed 3G networks? Not a syllable was said about the size of AT&T’s 3G network at Steve Jobs’s keynote presentation this morning, and so far, I haven’t seen anyone online or in the media express concern about this topic, either.

AT&T says it has coverage in 280 metropolitan areas, and will have 350 by year’s end. (I just checked AT&T’s 3G-coverage map Web site to see where and how big these hot spots are. It says only “Maintenance in Progress.”)

11. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

12. PiGuy

PiGuy 250+ Posts

PSA: $130 8GB Nano's available from Yahoo for today only:
    The Link

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

14. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

15. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

16. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

17. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

I sync my calendar and contacts exclusively with Outlook. I can't tell you about the others, sorry.

18. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

19. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

June 12, 2008 (FinancialWire) Customers who bought Apple's $499 or $399 iPhone at AT&T stores may be able to exchange the handset for the faster, less expensive new model and get a rebate.

AT&T, which is the exclusive US provider of iPhone service, said clients will get a refund for the price difference. Cupertino-based Apple said it sold more than 6 million of the devices since their debut one year ago, when the 8-gigabyte model sold for $399 and the 16-gigabyte model sold for $499.

20. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Holy crap, I'm in... particularly if it doesn't require reupping my AT&T contract.

21. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Crap again...The Link

22. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

I dont understand what the difference would be buying it at at&t store vs buying it at apple store, but I bought mine at at&t store so this sits well with me

23. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

I am pretty sure that that only applies to people who bought the phone in the last few weeks, and who are still within the return window. That doesn't apoply to people who bought the phone months ago.

24. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Anastasis, if the returnable skus are the $499 or $399 models as the release indicates, then it can only apply to the early adopters, since the prices were bumped down to $299-$199 last september. No one has bought a $499 iPhone in the last 8 months.

The difference in point of sale would matter in as much as who was offering the exchange/rebate. If it is Apple, then the source wouldn't matter. If it is AT&T, then it would likely only cover units they sold. Any any event, I'll be keeping my ears open.

25. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Nope. Only applies to people who bought at an AT&T store on or after May 27 - and a 10% restocking fee applies.

26. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

Directly from the ATT internal release:

27. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

It seemed pretty far fetched and out of character for AT&T.

Not surprised in the least.

28. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

Plus, you upgrade and sign a new 2-year contract at the higher rate and you are essentially borrowing the money to buy the phone from AT&T at a substantial interest rate no doubt (will have to see exactly how much the upgrade "cost" will be to know how badly you are getting screwed)

29. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

I can't believe there is that much difference between the 3G and the edge. I'm usually using my iPhone on a wifi system, but I don't think I've ever sat and thought "this is intolerable" while on the edge network. In fact, the only real difference is when emailing photos I took. Then there is a few second difference. I just can't see that there is much middle ground between edge and wifi that gets huge value.

30. HornGrad'01

HornGrad'01 250+ Posts

CBS, the key is you don't need wi-fi to attain those speeds. Wi-fi isn't everywhere and isn't free in some places it does exist. Average WiFi speed on the iPhone (tested) was 1146.6153 kbps and the average EDGE speed was 212.6743 kbps. That's over 5 times faster. Apple "claims" 3G speeds approaching Wi-fi. We'll have to see if that is true.

Correction, they "claimed" speeds of up to 10x dial-up.