New AP poll after LSU game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

We would Donkey stomp Michigan. LSU should be 2. Bama should not get any credit for beating lil sisters of the poor. That’s all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Yeah even b/r has us over Michigan. I'm fine with this spot overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

The logic of the polls.

LSU, by virtue of beating #9 Texas, moves up 2 spots to #4. Therefore, since beating Texas and moving up, Texas must be really good, too. Let's vote them down. That makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If Texas beats OSU and OU in the next few weeks, it obviously portends a possible CFP spot assuming they beat out Baylor and ISU on the back end of schedule. The hype drive will start in mid -Oct.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Just win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep. Win out and we're good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. horninchicago

So, with the glaring injury issues at RB, inexperienced secondary, lack of deep ball threat, and stupid play calling/4th and goal decisions, what do you guys see that gives Texas a chance at winning out?

Disclaimer: Not trying to be negative, trying to be a realistic fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

No, not at all. :beertoast:

9. horninchicago

I'm not. Asking legitimate questions...for a friend.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

There’s always a chance. Heck we had a good chance to win last night. I’m not making any prediction here but hope springs eternal.
    Hookem.

• Like Like x 4
  11. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Logic:

LSU's win over Texas means nothing to LSU if they lose to Alabama later in the season.

Texas' loss to LSU means nothing to Texas if they beat Oklahoma later in the season.

Moral of the story, WIN THE CONFERENCE!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Me, absolutely. LSU “might be” as good as any team in the country. We’ll see, but they are a very good team. Against a team returning 16 starters and armed with a very young D, we took them to the brink.

Our young D will be less young as the season rolls on. By OU they can be expected to be improved — likely much improved — from what we saw last night.

I think that we could run the table and actually play LSU in the CFP. Wouldn’t that be interesting?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Regional
    I fixed it for you.

14. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

2-0 Bama beat NMSU 62-10
    2-0 Washington State beat NMSU 58-7
    One is ranked #2 the other is ranked #20
    Go figure .....You have a common opponent here. Not just someone THINKING a team is good or bad etc. based on conference affiliation what they did last year etc.... This is legit data to use to rank teams properly..... Yet one is #2 and the other is #20.... SMDH

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Maybe pedigree is taken into account more than it should, but it should count for something. And one game against a common weak opponent doesn’t reveal much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Okay, just for discussion's sake. First, our RB's get healthy; each game our inexperienced secondary gets better, and importantly, they will not see a better passing game all year than they saw Saturday in Barrow and the LSU offense; the goal line plays were not stupid, Ingram dropped a pass he catches 90% of the time; and lastly that LSU TD on 3rd and 17 was a miracle. 9 out of 10 times our D gets a stop and we get the ball back.
    So I think my reasons are pretty solid. That being said, everything has to fall into place, we'll need a lot of luck, and even then the odds are against winning out.

But you know what, this team has no quit, they are talented, and the ball takes funny bounces. It could happen.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Lets say LSU loses to Bama and ends the season ranked top 5 with only one loss. Lets say Texas runs the table and ends the season ranked top 5 with a conference championship. Who does the committee take? LSU or Texas?

The assumption is that Bama and Clemson will go undefeated again and tOSU also only loses one game. I'm pretty sure it will be 2 sec teams and Clemson and tOSU.

The only exception to this is if Texas pulls a 2008 blOwU and purposefully runs up the score against everyone on our schedule.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with all except it would probably be Georgia; not LSU. So far the Committee hasn't reached back into divisional standings over the divisional champions for the second team which is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You sound like me last year.
    Up until beating the dirt burglers I couldn't see winning more than 7 games.
    Then we lose to OSU and "holy ****"

At the end of the year we play for a CC and end up beating Georgia in a NY Day Sugar Bowl and end up with ten wins.
    Looking back I couldn't figure out how the f**k we got there.
    But we did.
    Just win, baby,
    Lot's of football left.
    Injuries heal.
    Players get better.

• Like Like x 3
  20. horninchicago

With the injury situation and the 2 series from 1st and goal coming away with no points, etc., it is legitimate to ask why people see all that improving to win out. Not win most of the games. Win out. That is a big ask most years with a mostly injury free team and good coaching decisions with a defense that doesn't get shredded in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We’re about right for now. Florida, aTm, and USC are too high. UVA? Ok State should get some consideration. Glad to see Leach’s Wazzu ranked, as his team should be.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Pirate is playing Cougar High at NRG Friday night.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They’ll likely stomp UH and keep inching up the rankings. I think Wazzu will challenge for the PAC title and they’re the most likely team to take it. Utah is their main challenger. Lots of good, but not THAT good, teams out there this year.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was surprised that Cal beat U-dub. Opened the door for Wazoo and Utah.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^Legit concerns. Winning out is always tough. However, i do think our RB situation will get better fairly quickly. Roshon (sp) is doing a heck of a job. Till the others get healthy, He deserves great credit for coming in on short notice to spell Ingram.

But this cannot be overstated: Barrow is the most accurate passer our D will face this year. And his receivers, as a group, are as good as we'll face. Even so, Barrow had to make an incredible scramble, throwing a miracle pass on 3rd and 17--which won the game.

I feel better about this D now than I did before the game.

• Like Like x 1
  26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I'm not getting worked up over week 2 polls. There is still far too much football to be played, including good teams playing some equally good teams.

I like a narrative that has Texas running the table, winning not once but twice against the land thieves...and then getting selected for a rematch against the kitty-kats. And in my narrative, I see Texas prevailing on the neutral turf.

It could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I wasn't...but anyone that saw my ESPN picks knew that LOL!

I do believe that Cal was given a huge boost by the weather taking away the potential home-field advantage when that game finally resumed. Cal was on the road but did NOT have a stadium filled with Washington fans screaming and yelling.

28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While I don’t expect the RB situation to improve much (just more depth + the evolution of Johnson), it is reasonable to anticipate that the corners will get better, perhaps much better. Remember that none of the four played last year except for very limited backup roles.

They had a terrific and not unexpected learning experience last Saturday against what might be the best passing attack in the country. If the experts — and I mean Herman and staff — knew/know how to recruit talent, these very young players will get better each and every week. I fully expect that by OU, they will be well beyond what we saw Saturday. I’m not saying that they’ll be All Americans by Oct 12th, but they may be light years beyond what we just saw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

So pedigree should make an 18 spot difference ? I don't think so, but $EC bias does !

30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^I feel confident they will be better by OSU and then again by OU. Along with that ou's and osu's passing attack is not as good (by a lot) as LSU's. But ou's qb (Jalen H.) is a terrific running qb. Our blitzers must tackle well to bring him down. If he escapes often, we could be in trouble.