new baby in the hayden family

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Hayden_Horn, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

for those that don't know, my wife was on bed rest due to possible pre-eclampsia issues. our first was born out of preeclampsia as well - emergency csection in the 31st week. well, as of yesterday, wife was at 35 weeks, and the baby was an estimated 5 pounds.

took the wife to the hospital yesterday with high protein count in her urine and a bit of a headache. we had been warned by the doc that we might not make it through the weekend.

but, wow. that **** went down fast. she was completely stable - so i decided to go home and mow the lawn, because our first was with the inlaws, and with her stabilized, it could be days or weeks before the new babycame. she was in the bed moving to another room as i was finishing the lawn and jumping in the shower when the phone rings. "um, john, i think my water just broke. or i pissed all over myself." stunned, i manage a "well, what does that mean?" what a stupid ******* question, but it was all i could stammer. i was leaning out of the shower. "i don't know, they are checking." then the nurse pipes in "that ain't urine, honey," and my wife says "well, i guess you better hurry."

at this point, i smell like ripe caveman. i slap some soap under my arms, shampoo on my hair and face and rinse, towel off, and jump in the car.

i hurry to the hospital and am told the csection is for 7pm. bonus. i arrive at 6:40. i come in the room, kiss my wife, and things are going off the hook. BP is out of this world (186/120 holla) and they can't stop throwing different drugs in her system. magnesium, some drug ending in "dol," etc. the nurse brings me my "bunny suit" for the OR.

i can't tie the mask knots. she helps me do that. i'm all dudded up and look at the wife and say, "these are OR scrubs." with nary a hitch, she responds "Oh, are they?" winner winner chicken dinner. my wife is witty and quoting movies whilel on all kinds of drugs.

they roll her in the OR and her doctor, NOT ON CALL, rolls in to do the operation. what a ******* cool doctor. she came in just for my wife. that's pretty ******* cool.

so they prep her and anesthetize her locally, with a spinal, and they let me in just as they are fixing to cut her open.

i sit by her head, behind the operating curtain, and i'm trying my damndest to make small talk as she has her midsection yanked this way and that. it reminded me of william wallace at the end of braveheart.

doc says "ok, dad, you can stand up," and i do and i see a tiny silvery little alien poised above a bloody hole on my wife's belly. and he's adorable. he cries, and she smiles, and i can't stop looking at the bloody hole. they cut the cord, they take him to get scrubbed, and i see the doctors take visceral things out of the bloody hole, and i don't feel a lot of blood reaching my feet. i decide its time to sit down and tell my wife what a good job she's doing and how adorable our little silver alien is.

then they call me over to the table, and he's been scrubbed clean and he's pink and healthy and drinking oxygen. he's tiny, with gigantic genitalia and hands.

i glance back to tell my wife how great he is, but she's behind the curtain and the doc is holding one of her ******* ORGANS in her hands and toweling it off. some sort of blue sack of viscera. yeah. there is no blood in my body below my knees. it's time to sit down.

i sit down and they bring the baby over to me and we take a pic, which i'll post sometime later, and they take him straightaway with me to the NICU where he weighs in at a mighty 3 pounds 9 ounces. 11 ounces more than his older brother. and he's blond. other than those differences, he looks exactly the same as hayden.

when confronted with a pic of jack, hayden says "bo?" he knows what's up. i'm in the room with the wife, and she's doing fine, and the baby is doing fine, and i'm fixing to roll upstairs and see the little fella.

fyi labor and delivery room guest fold out beds leave a lot to be desired.

2. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

congratulations, hayden

3. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

congrats.

I hope you save posts like these so you can someday share them with your kids when they're older.

4. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations to your wife, and to you for not passing out -- that was your job.

5. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

bob,

there was a point where i believe i said out loud that i needed to sit down.

ok, here is the pic of us in the OR immediately after the csection, while my wife was still splayed out like a stuck pig:

[​IMG]

here is a close up of jack's face i took this morning:

[​IMG]

the funniest part of the story that i forgot to tell is that i ran out of the house so quickly i forgot my belt. the jeans i was wearing WILL fall off without a belt. before i scrubbed in, i had to take the ******* laptop case strap and wind it around my waist and hook it together, so my pants didn't fall off inside the bunny suit. i'm a creative ************ when i want to be.

6. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

Congrats!! [​IMG] Three weeks to go for my first!

7. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Awesome story, Hayden. He is a gorgeous little boy. I am so glad to hear that everybody is doing well.

And the beat goes on ...

8. longhornbell

longhornbell 100+ Posts

Congratulations!!!! Kiss Jack and Jenn for us. You did good.

9. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

Congrats!!

10. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

Congratulations!! Best wishes to you and the family.

11. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations!
    I went through a similar surprise C section with my wife back in March for our first. I was surprised at how calm I was with her cut open and seeing that. Also, how calm I was when the blood vaccuum machine thing quit working and the blood got all over the floor and stuff.

12. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Congrats!!!!!!

13. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Hayden, I read it. You thought you might, but you didn't. Therefore, you succeeded.

Frankly, I was surprised they let you in the room for a c-section.

14. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

Congratulations to your family. Jack sure is a sweet little babyperson.

15. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

16. RoundRobin

RoundRobin 100+ Posts

Congrats Hayden!

17. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

Congrats man, awesome story!

18. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

Congrats Hayden to you and your lovely wife.

19. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

You better take care of that Austin High grad you lucky son of a gun.

20. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

21. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Guest

Congratulations. Job well done.

22. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

Congrats!!!!

And for y'all, Hook 'Em Horns! [​IMG]

23. congrats, hayden.

24. TexasFirefighter

TexasFirefighter 100+ Posts

That's fantastic!
    Congrats! I hope the Doc didn't have any leftover parts when she closed everything back up.

Can't wait to see more pics of Jack

25. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

congrats. and welcome to the club.