New Big 12 Expansion Rumor

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I mean, you said yourself that your view is too old-school, so I don't necessarily think anything anyone says will change your mind. But if you replace "BYU's code of conduct" with "The University of Mississippi's code of conduct," change "athletic status" to "self-government," and change the year to 1962, then your take is basically identical.

For the record, I don't think Athlete Ally believes they have a "legal" challenge to anything that the Big XII or BYU is doing. I think they're just pointing out facts and hoping that something sticks.

As for the derailment of whether or not Sabre thinks UH sucks, is in the ghetto, has too many non-English speakers, or adds nothing to the conference, I think that one's pretty much settled. It looks as though unless we poach Power-5 teams in a manner fitting to only the conference and the University of Texas, Sabre is definitely not on board with expansion.

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I just knew that he was way off. As for bashing other schools; you bet but let's be rational about it. I get the fun in the ridicule but the Houston stuff was a different to me for some reason than making fun of Aggie.

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think history has proven that what is legal is not necessarily right. And laws that say one person can while another can't are especially sensitive. Love is love. And what someone's orientation is their orientation. NOBODY can prove if a baby is gay or not. It is a latent revelation. And if you believe nobody is born gay then you are telling them they are mentally ill. To me, it makes no sense that nobody is born gay. And it is because of that that I have decided I cannot judge and I cannot accept those that do. Calling it a sin and excluding them is judging them and calling them mentally ill.

Ok ok.... I get all the calls to take this to West Mall. Sorry...

4. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

The important thing to remember when perusing posts by offended UH posters is that the value of opinions by posters that chose UH in the third ward over UT in Austin might be suspect. False umbrage, including ridiculous race innuendo, over the nick names of Cougar High and University of the Third Ward for a glorified junior college doesn't cut the mustard.

UH = not Texas.

Not interested in attending a game outdoors in Houston in their little junior college butt stadium.

WE have already been in a conference with them. Just like Arkansas and aggy, not interested.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't think it has to be coming from such an arrogant point of view. That's ridiculous. If you think all UT graduates are smarter than everyone, have more ethics, have overcome higher odds etc then I think you are living in fantasy land. I have no respect for anyone who attacks the students that go to UH in ways that are not welcome in civilized settings, business environments or to their face.

That being said it's real simple; what is the value to the conference. I think the TV folks will answer that question for everyone. They don't want to pay more for a school that has no national following. Ironically given your chest beating, the LHN is "Cougar High" when it comes to TV programming. When you consider all the football fans in the country it's safe to say, statistically speaking, nobody is watching.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Did someone compare Jim Crow to Same Sex Marriage, man you are twisted.....

UH Stadium seats 40,000 and can be expanded to 60,000 and is a very nice stadium in comparison to the Astrodome and Robertson.

UH will upset OU week 1!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

That is going to be a really interesting game. A lot is on the line for both teams and I honestly would not be surprised by either team winning.

9. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I am from Houston.
    Never attacked students going to the commuter school in the third ward. The school does give opportunity to local students, but it isn't Texas. Just a fact.
    Never said anything about overcoming higher odds, being smarter or ethics.
    Quite the imagination, telling me what I think and say.

When someone says they had a "choice" of attending UH or UT, chose UH and now is offended by nicknames for their school, I call baloney.
    As for being arrogant about Texas and graduating from Texas, I am guilty as charged with no regrets or apologies.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

I think we are over complicating this whole argument. It's not about academics, facilities, or recent success on the football field. UH has one hope of getting into a P5, that's the Big 12. You let them in and you give up the strangle hold on the Houston area you have in recruiting. Whatever y'all want to say about kids won't go there, you're wrong. You are not an inner city black kid from Houston so don't tell me how they think. The fact is, why would it ever be in Texas best interest to willfully give up recruiting domination in a talent rich area to expand a dying conference? They add no national relevance, no TV market, no untapped recruiting base, and a fan base that largely doesn't give a crap about their teams.

The answer is because they want to open a Texas campus in Houston. You scratch my back I scratch yours.

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

They have a tiny rinky dink outdoor stadium. They are a communter school that is not popular in their own city. They are vagabonds who pull shenanigans (bleachergate). They have an inferiority complex as demonstrated by PDM. They are already claiming victimhood on LGBT and crying racism and they are not in the conference yet. Why would anyone want to be with U of H or their fans? I mean, you cannot even develop a friendly rivalry because whiny U of H fans have such a huge inferiority complex they cannot take any smack talk, they are going to declare anything "racist" and are going to whine about it.

Honestly, I like U of H and root for them, but I do not want them or their aggyesque fanbase in our conference. They are like aggylite east (tech being west) but you would not realize it because they are so irrelevant and have such a small fanbase.

We already have Tech. We do not need another aggyesque group of vagabonds and their shenanigans. U of H's fanbase just sucks and PDM is exhibit A. (And the U of H fans I am talking about and have met have been white, which makes the crying racism even more ludicrous. I mean, they all suck as football fans. Their gameday experience as a visiting fan is butt. Hell my mississippi state friends went to a game there and could not stop talking about how terrible the gameday experience and U of H fans were and they did not even once mention the school's location or anything like that.)

For a variety of reasons, U of H just is butt and we've already hit our quota of butt schools in this conference. It was U of H or Baylor and U of H missed the boat in the 90s.

12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If you're talking to me my response is ABSOLUTELY and your attempts to marginalize my way of thinking makes me laugh.

13. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

True but on this topic I'm certainly willing to listen as I'm not opposed to same-sex relationships, marriage, etc. To me it's none of my business and even good to know people are finding love in whatever (legal) package it comes.

Certainly don't assume my views are right for the times in many cases, just don't believe BYU's time-tested following of their religious beliefs should ban them from playing sports in our conference.

People willingly and legally attend BYU knowing what they believe in and their code of conduct is agreed upon before attending.

While I support the rights of the LGBT community, they above all should understand the importance of the right for BYU to have a private institution with an honor code that matches their deeply held and followed beliefs and way of life.

We have no more right to tell Mormons they are wrong for not accepting same sex intimacy than telling LGBT they have no right to marriage.

I don't disagree with either group's position on this. But BYU is within their legal and moral rights.

Many people aren't anti-gay or homophobes simply by not approving of the lifestyle. They aren't out to disrupt the lives of those who practice same sex relationships.

LGBT doesn't have to attend BYU or watch them play...problem solved. Many find the Redskins name discriminatory, they don't watch them and the league works just fine.

But eliminating them from our athletics competition is too far and negatively effects vastly more people than just BYU or the LGBT community.

As for racial discrimination, moral/religious beliefs on sexuality aren't remotely the same thing. Procreation and the continued existence of human beings says so.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

does this back and forth spatting have an end and how is it going to effect the ultimate decision....we have already lost the schools we needed and probably can't lure them back...FSU, Clem, Ark, Neb, ASU , AZ....others are always someones choice of leftovers or someones choice to never accept...

I would gladly take UT, OU, TT, OSU, Kan, KSU, Ark, ASU, Neb. Clem, FSU, BYU, Houston, TCU, WVU

15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Only if everyone was gay.

16. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I wasn't referring to your post but after reading it......

17. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No issue with Nebraska. Big issues with the other ones mentioned.

Not sure what or where the mention of ou leaving came from, but if ou leaving busts up the Big XII Texas should also leave to either the B1G or PAC 12.

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

No way we can allow OU to leave. They and Texas ARE the Big 12.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Would gladly take Neb but not at expense of OU leaving....nothing to be gained!

How about Neb and Arkansas to create a new 'Big 12'...no one leaves

• Like Like x 2
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That would work

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Nebraska and BYU, sure. Arkansas is basically Clone A&M. No thanks.

23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I didn't read anywhere that Neb was replacing OU or that OU would leave if Neb came back or that Neb would only come back if OU was gone. But they are rumors, so anything goes. Would love to see Neb back, though.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Wow, this would be a game changer. Hope it happens. Why would OU leave if Nebraska came back? I want no part of the PAC 12 and late kickoffs

• Like Like x 4
  25. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

That quiz below the article was pretty cool too.

26. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

So would The New Big 12 sorta be like The New Yardbirds - renamed to Led Zeppelin Conference?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I've been saying all along the only decent choices for expansion are the schools that already left. Neb has good teams in almost every sport, great traditions and a great fanbase. I would certainly welcome them back. Plus, we need a team we can beat routinely.

• Like Like x 1
  28. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I think Arkie and Nebraska would work.

29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Page was the only member of the Yardbirds in Zep.
    Closer to say the new name would be the Jeff Beck Group.
    He played with both Page and Clapton in the Yardbirds.

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but Beck was the only one fired or kicked out of the group.