New Hardware

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mandingo, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

why are some user names brown/black and some blue?

2. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

Looks faster to me. I just posted and the "you will soon taken to your post" page didn't hang for 10 seconds like it used to.

I guess the ultimate test is either right after a UT QB throws a pick six or about an hour after a game ends and those in attendance get home and log on.

3. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

5. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

I've noticed that as well. Honestly, I haven't tracked it down yet. If that is the worst "glitch" in the system, I have to say I'm very pleased. [​IMG]

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Will this new hardware allow for the revival of the game threads of the past, or should we continue to use the chat room for that?

EDIT: Never mind; I need to read these threads more closely.

7. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

8. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Two things I've noticed.

When I have scrolled all the way down to the bottom of the page and then hit refresh, it no longer takes me back to approximately where the last post was. Instead it leave me at the top of the page and I have to find the last post I had read again.

Also the tabs at the top of Mozilla don't show the hornfans icon anymore.

Neither are major issues though and the site is definitely faster.

Thanks for all you guys do for us. [​IMG]

9. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

I really want to know what the hardware specs are for both servers.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

blacklab is a geek. He is neither black or a lab.

11. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

New server
    tyan s5353 dual cpu motherboard with two 3.0 Ghz Intel Xeon processors
    4GB ram
    1 500Gb SATA HD

12. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

13. Feloin

Feloin 25+ Posts

I can't access any of the forums with my BlackBerry anymore. It allows me to access the site but when I click on a forum it is a blank screen only. Do I need to change my BlackBerry settings?

14. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

If I may make a recommendation about new forum software, SMF is a great choice. Versatile, reliable, easy to administer, and free.

15. LonghornGirlie

Thanks.

I don't know about the Blackberry. I've checked the site from my Treo and its fine. I don't have a Blackberry to test with. Has anyone else had problems?

The primary factor in considering any new software will be performance under heavy load -- versatility less so, and price virtually not at all. I appreciate any recommendations.

16. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

SMF looks promising, but I don't know what kind of reliability they have in high-traffic scenarios. Anybody know of any larges sites that use it?

vBulletin and phpbb are great bbs, and other than custom software they account for most of the top forums. If we had votes, I would vote for vBulletin. I don't know which version of wwwthreads we're running, but vBulletin indicates on their site support for a ubbthreads (formerly wwwthreads) conversion script...

17. LonghornGirlie

I've evaluated vBulletin and like what I've seen so far. I haven't had the chance to look at phpBB thoroughly yet.

I guess one could call this a really old version of wwwthreads. It has been hacked in a lot of ways though. The schema changes aren't too huge though so I can probably start with their conversion script and make the necessary mods.

You are right that this isn't a decision that will be made by "voting" but I appreciate anyone with experience of very high traffic message boards sharing their insight.

As I said, any decision let alone an actual migration aren't happening anytime soon. Robert and I are going on vacation soon. I'm going to be pounded at work for at least a couple of months after we get back with little time for anything else (other than UT baseball, of course).

Thanks for all the help, guys.

18. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

19. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

STAY AWAY FROM PHPBB!!!!!!!!!

It is one of the buggiest and most hacker-prone BBS forums available today. Plus the interface isn't nearly as clean looking as those provided by vBulletin, SMF, etc.

Similarly, I cannot recommend UBBthreads (this forum's successor). We used it for two years and were hacked 4-5 times due to security holes in the software. Additionally, after the first year our subscription with the company expired, and we had to obtain critical security patches via third-party means because we were no longer paying customers. That's a pretty bad business model if you ask me. Similarly, some features just plain didn't work and we were left out in the cold on those also. Additionally, even incremental upgrades in the software were a PAIN IN THE *** to implement.

20. Southland

Southland 25+ Posts

21. orange_pride

orange_pride 100+ Posts

thanks guys!

22. LonghornGirlie

The IP of the server has changed, at least temporarily while the older box is getting reimaged. If your bookmarks are based on IP or the blackberry does some weird caching of hostname lookups, they won't work.

Thanks for the tip.

23. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I saw "New Hardware" on the Football Board and thought we somehow won another trophy. 10 win season trophy came in? [​IMG]

Site does run way faster. Great job.

24. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

I'm having an issue with the scroll bar on the right. At least half the time it doesn't appear.

25. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

26. chickennugget

chickennugget 100+ Posts

I'm new here. . .Just curious about the main home page. . . It lists a bunch of news items but I am only seeing stuff about Kevin Durant from March of 2007. . .

Is there updated news items that I'm not seeing on the main homepage?

27. LonghornGirlie

I'm afraid not, cn. I will get back to doing the news thing, but it is a time intensive process. It is actually a duty that I'm looking to pawn off on Orangeblood.

28. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

I would say don't even both with the news stuff. Plenty of news links get posted in the forums, and this is primarily a discussion site anyway.

The site seems to be chugging a little bit under the NSD traffic, but at least it's usable (unlike the old server).

29. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Are there some SWare bugs about?
    Today is 02/06...
    Specifically, going 'back' a page , after successful logging on lands me with SQL errors... "Uname / Pword not found. But if I re-open HFans from a bookmark (on the same FF tab as the problem session) then I get back on, with 'Logged On' & no SQL errors.

I'll get a scr shot if that'll help anyone

30. LonghornGirlie

Looks like the database params need to be tuned for heavier loads. I'm afraid that I'm travelling today so we'll just have to muddle through, but I'll work on it as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience.