new mexico ski resorts?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by CleverNickname, Jan 23, 2008.

1. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

We did Steamboat this past weekend. Conditions were amazing. My wife, in her first time doing winter sports, had fun. That was important if I was ever to get a chance to ski/board again. She had fun, so I might be able to talk her into something next season.

I'd like to go again next year, but keep things as cheap as possible. Like maybe drive to NM. We often have more vacation time than money. How are the resorts in New Mexico? I know they don't get hardly a fraction of the snow steamboat gets, but are conditions ok? My wife mostly just needs a decent bunny slope to get better, and I'd just like a few blues so that I can tractive carving straighter lines. We board, so greens with flat areas are a real buzzkill.

How is Angel Fire, etc.?

2. Remove Rowdy

Remove Rowdy 100+ Posts

I learned to ski at Angel Fire and really enjoyed it, but I was a kid so what do I know. Have not been back to ski so not sure how it would go as far as the more difficult runs. We did not stay in town, but have been to the area many, many times and I always thought it would not be bad place to spend a few days.

I have skied Red River and Taos recently. I do not like Red River for the skiing, but I really like the town. We saw Michael Martin Murphy last time we were there.

I skied Taos for the first time last year near the end of the season. The runs were really difficult that day because of the wind and enormous amounts of snow that was being dumped on the area. I am thinking it is easier when the weather is better. I found the nightlife lacking; which was a surprise considering the options during the day and summer. I have heard staying closer to the mountain is a better idea.

3. happy fun ball

happy fun ball 100+ Posts

Others may feel differently but I think Taos is the only first rate ski mountain in NM. Head and shoulders above the rest in terms of acreage, terrain, etc. The town is very good, and proximity to Sante Fe is a plus.

The main problem for driving Texans is that last hour, through the pass when you are tired, it's dark and icey. Much more tempting to go to Angel Fire, which unfortunately is nowhere near the mountain or town Taos is.

4. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

You might check into whether Taos will be allowing snowboards next year. I believe that for the first time they are allowing some boarders late season this year, but don't know if that's a permanent thing. I just got back from Santa Fe and had fun. Mountain is such though that a weekend is sufficient or you will start getting board doing the same runs.

5. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

Some of my friends just got back from Angelfire. I haven't had a chance to talk in depth about the trip, but from what I gather it was fun and there was a ton of snow.

6. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

7. txre

txre 100+ Posts

CN,
    I learned to ski at Ski Apache in Ruidoso,NM. The conditions tend to be icey at times and the drive up and down the mountian can be hairey fro the weak of mind or stomach. Never bothered us. Tons of folks from TEXAS (the state) and kids from Tech. I live in Allen just north of Plano I can be in Roswell NM in 10.5 hours, Ruidoso is about 90+ miles from Roswell. Inn of the Mountain Gods might have a shuttle to the ski area.
    Side note if you go thru Artesia NM stop at LaFonda's for the Guadalajar plate. Or if you go thru Roswell turn right on main st and go out just before you get to Sam's there is a steak house/mexican rest. on your right get the stacked green cile enchildas with an egg.

8. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

I'm going to Sipapu in March. It is tiny (2 chair lifts) and about 30 miles from Taos. It is a real family place but last time it wasn't Spring Break, so we'll see. I like it cause we can bring our dog!.

9. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Going to Taos in March. Staying in Taos proper not in the Ski Village. Tops we'll do 2 days skiing. Staying at some resort and will spend some time there too.

And we are driving. Leaving after work on a Wed. Driving past Lubbock and into NM a couple of hours. Can't remember the name of the city but we have a La Quinta Inn reservation there. And then another 4 hours to Taos in the morning. Driving back on a Sunday morning. Hopefully that means no dark and icy conditions while tired.....

10. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Taos is having an epic year. Angel Fire is nice, but the lodging is spendy.
    Ruidoso is looking grim this year. Serves them right for jacking up the prices on the houses we stayed at. We used to get a whole 3 BR 2 Bath house for $120 a night. Now they're up to $200.

11. WillWork4Horns

WillWork4Horns 100+ Posts

Growing up in Amarillo I spent a good deal of time skiing New Mexico. The comments are accurate. Taos is the only really good ski area in New Mexico. The problem for you would be the difficulty of the terrain for your wife. Taos tends to be a little on the difficult side for true beginners. If your wife is a gamer and has a lets try it attitude go with Taos. They will allow snow boarding on a full time basis as stated on this post. The only other options I would reccommend would be Angel Fire or Sante Fe. They both tend to be crowded with beginners, fairly small and snow quality can be a problem. With Sante Fe you would at least have some off mountain options such as dining. The atmosphere around the square is really neat,I always feel like I am in a foreign country when I go there. Angel Fire sits at the end of a very large valley it tends to really have a problem with the wind.

In summary Taos is really good but challenging.
    Every thing else in New Mexico is pretty weak

12. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Angel Fire then. Plus nearby is a Vietnam War Memorial worth visiting. On a good weather day you can drift into Taos for a nice shopping experience. Also in Taos is the Taos Pueblo, which seems run down to me. The big mountain to the northwest of Angel Fire is Wheeler Peak, the highest point in New Mexico at above 13000 feet.