New Orleans eateries

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by mlchorn, Jul 21, 2011.

1. mlchorn

mlchorn 25+ Posts

Going this weekend but haven't been in years.
    Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants.....preferably off the beaten path.
    Can't afford the 5 star restaurants, but looking for good seafood.
    [​IMG]

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Been over there a couple of times in the last six weeks:

1) Palace Cafe on Canal - a Brennan family restaurant. Have them do Pecan Crusted Snapper (not on the menu). They still have Bananas Foster. It was really good.

2) Mister B's - Another Brennan family restuarant. It was good, not great, but worth the trip. Had grouper.

3) Commanders Palace - Brennan's again. Still the queen of NOLA.

4) Felix or Acme Oyster Bar - either is great informal.

3. mlchorn

mlchorn 25+ Posts

I really appreciate the advice.

4. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

mlc, i was in NO last summer, and a few of us took a walk (long) down Bourbon, away from downtown, and over to the Frenchman neighborhood. We headed for a pretty tasty burger joint called 'Port of Call'....short on menu, heavy on the grease. Big burgers with mounds of shredded cheddar, matched with a lump of sour cream. Add the baked potato with the same toppings, and you can drink through the night like a champ.

Oh, and I second Acme Oyster House. There's also a few good little restaurants on Chartres Street, between Bienville and St. Louis church.

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I'll second Mr. B's. It isnt as expensive as the others. Get the gumbo ya ya. it's awesome. avoid brennan's, it's a tourist trap like tavern on the green in NY and sucks. if you want to spend a ton, commander's palace is the place, i also like delmonico's a lot. Acme oyster bar is a great casual eatery.

for breakfast, you have to hit Camelia's. The staff is as entertaining as the food. the original is near tulane but they have a new location in the french quarter on chartres i think. i'm also a big fan of mother's which is packed and touristy at peak times but it also serves up greasy heaven. split a muffuletta at central grocery. they claim to have invented it. i don't care, it's one of the best you will ever have.

6. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

7. pike

pike 250+ Posts

Deanies is much better than acme IMO.
    Port Of call for burgers is a must.

8. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

Jacques-Imo's Cafe.

9. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

I was in New Orleans the same weekend as the OP.

Jacques was fantastic, but if you dont have a group of 5 and a reservation be prepared to wait at least 2 hours on a weekend night.

A place I would recommend is Coops on Decatur st in the French Quarter.

Little hole in the wall restaurant but the Jumbalaya was the best I had ever eaten.

Its pretty much a bar with a couple of places to sit. Gets pretty crowded and you will have to wait outside when the place is full.

10. swTXSU

swTXSU 100+ Posts

If you like Omelets and Hash Browns - Cafe Fleur-de-lis on Chartres