New Orleans Restaurants

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by ladan, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ladan

ladan 25+ Posts

Never been to New Orleans and gonna be there this thur-sun. We are eating at cafe dumont, acme, and brennans during the days, and palace cafe sat. night, but need restaurant suggestions for thur and fri night. Any must goto suggestions on where and what to eat would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

I've never heard of Cafe Dumont but it sounds good. I'd suggest Cafe Du Monde if you want beignets [​IMG]. Throwing out the usual: Galatoire's, Mothers, Commander's, and if you want the best po-boy in the city, Domilise's.

3. ladan

ladan 25+ Posts

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd rethink Brennans. For me, it has never been the same since the family split. I do recommend Commanders Palace, but be sure to get a table in "The Garden Room".

I can't remember if it's Delmonico's of D'Amico's, but your concierge will know. Excellent.

Felix' Oyster Bar for either lunch or late night hangover or both. On Iberville or Bienville (I always get them confused, they are the 1st and 2nd streets in the Quarter) between Bourbon and Royal.

Gumbo Shop is good for lunch. There is a sandwich shop on St Charles between Canal & Gravier, across from the Marriott Courtyard. Good food. Owned by a big LSU fan

The Old Absinthe Bar in the Sonesta had frequent lunch specials, like Oysters on the half shell for $0.25 each.

I haven't been up the street car line to the turn since the storm. Not sure if the small restaurants are still there or not.

5. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

cuvee, cochon, stella!, bayona

6. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

7. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Mr. B's Bistro.

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

yeah, replace acme with felix's.

central grocery for a muffaletta.

9. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

I go to New Orleans a couple times a month and I regularly eat lunch or dinner at Acme and Felix's. They are both on Iberville, across the street from each other.

I know Acme is more touristy and thus more crowded, but after eating at both of them many times I still think Acme is better. I usually get a combo plate with jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, or etouffe (sp?). I've tried them all at both places and Acme is better. Felix's is good, but I only go there when the line at Acme is way too long. If there's less than about 10 people in line for Acme I'll wait because it goes quick.

Sometimes it seems like there's a backlash against a place when it gets too popular. Of course I'm named after a dish at Chuy's, so I don't buy that a popular/touristy place can't still be good.

10. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

NOLA and Cochon are absolutely amazing!!! I go to NO twice a year just to eat at those places. I thought Brennan's was terrible. Cafe Fleur de Lis is great for breakfast.

11. hobbs

hobbs 25+ Posts

Upperline
    K-Paul's
    Brigtsen's
    Galatoire's
    Patois

12. horn section

horn section 100+ Posts

It has been a few years since I have been there but we ate at a place called annie's or angie's or something like that. It wasn't far too far of a walk from st. charles and canal. It looked like a house and wasn't big at all but the food was amazing!

13. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

My problem with Acme has less to do with the food (which is very good), but more to do with the poor service and the fact that it's always crowded and filthy in there.

Mandina's on Canal a couple of miles out of the quarter is excellent. It's not the haute culinary experience of some of those other joints, but it's a great local place. Also recommend Pascal Manale's for the BBQ shrimp and oyster bar.

For poboys, Domalise's is a good suggestion. Casamento's is another good poboy place uptown, but they don't have a bar. Parasol's is my favorite poboy in NO. It's a dive, but a great bar, and killer poboys. Roast beef poboy (the beast) is the best I've ever had.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

MC,

The last three times I've been to Pascales Manale (always as someone's guest), I have not been able to eat the food. It was like a frozen tv dinner, heated in a microwave. and served by bad waiters. Hopefully it is being returned to its former glory.

15. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

There's a restaurant on Decatur close to Canal called Cafe Orleans. It's actually pretty good. They have a really excellent sea food/ crawfish creamy pasta. It's never crowded either.

It's trendy and a chain, but Bubba Gump's is a good place, too.

Paillard's is great-- get a reservation

Do the Steam Boat tour w/ lunch or dinner. It's like 27 bucks a person for lunch, but totally worth it. The food is traditional Cajun, but I thought it was surprisingly good.

Don't eat much of anything on Bourbon street. The restaurant's aren't very good and they tend to over-charge like crazy.

16. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

martinique
    brassiere marigny
    nola
    upperline
    gautreaux
    commander's palace

those are the best restaraunts in the city

galatiore's is the place at which i have had the worst service in my entire life, and its not even close. and the food is mediorce at best. i left a nickel tip, and that was generous. do not go to that dump

17. ladan

ladan 25+ Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up going to the following

Felix's and Acme - Tried both and ordered pretty much the same at both( oysters, poboy, and gumbo). All around i enjoyed Acme more than Felixs. The only down part was we had to wait in line at Acme but it was only 10 min or so.

NOLA - Nola was good. i had the shrimp and grits, and the other person had the duck. Overall it was good, but not excellent

Palace Cafe - had a great meal here. service and atmosphere were really good.

Brennan's - went here for sunday "jazz" brunch. There was no jazz, it was really hot in the restaurant, really expensive, and the brunch was mediocre at best. The only thing that made it worth it was the bananas foster. It might have been the best bananas foster ive had.

My favorite two though were none that people recommended... late night pizza on Bourbon at Jester's and a late night Lucky Dog!

18. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

I'm a little late, but here are my thoughts...

one of the best of the dives, Uglesich's, closed before Katrina

Pascal's Manale hasn't been the same since Katrina

1179 is awesome (esp. if you like veal)

Brigtsen's is awesome

Petunia's has great breakfast food, but there's something weird about the waiters....

Camellia Grill is a cool place for breakfast

Dick & Jenny's is pretty good

Jacques-Imo's is really good, and fun

go to Mother's and get a debris omelet. you're welcome.

19. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

spending one dollar at bubba gump's in the middle NOLA is not justifiable ever.

20. pike

pike 250+ Posts

Deanie's for seafood blows Acme out of the water in my opinion. Debris sandwich at Mother's is possibly the best sandwich I have ever had.

Pike

21. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

gagreed, though I prefer the famous ferdi, with debris, sliced roast beef and ham.

YUM.

22. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

The best part about Mother's is that it's one of those rare places where both the locals and the tourists go.

Anybody here remember Mimi's Market in Lakeview? No offense to everywhere else in the city, but it had the best po-boy's ever.

23. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

uglesich's was my favorite restaurant of all time.