New rule on pushing the ball carrier

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NJlonghorn, Oct 26, 2015.

1. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Until Saturday, I hadn't realized they changed the rule so that it is now okay to push a ball carrier forward. This seems like something that a big team could use often, and maybe even build an offense around.

Most running schemes try to find a gap and run through it. Usually, the running back gets tackled, not stood up. When they do get stood up, they sometimes push forward with success. KSU did this to us several times.

But what if your goal was to get stood up every play, then push forward in a coordinated effort, kind of like a tug of war? You'd line up with five beefy OLs and two TEs, all shoulder to shoulder, with a RB under center surrounded on 3 sides by O Linemen. Snap to the running back, and have everyone muscle forward slowly, in a tight bunch. The RB has 7 linemen in front of him and 3 behind him, all pushing forward. Like in a tug of war, the surges could be timed, with the guy in the back yelling "push... push... push... push".

On some plays you could push straight forward, on others at an angle to the left or right. You could even push one way for a predetermined number of times, then switch to another direction. The defense would be resisting at the wrong angle, which would be a huge edge to the offense.

When I first thought of this, I thought it was stupid. But the more I think about it, the more I think it could actually work -- assuming you are bigger and stronger than they are.

Can you tell I don't like this rule change?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It feels like one of those "well... the officials never enforce it so we might as well make it legal" rules.

• Like Like x 2
  3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Line up two DTs in the backfield to push the pile....LOL...Poor RB would get mashed...LOL

4. everybodygodeep

everybodygodeep 500+ Posts

So it happened last night in the Philly vs. Carolina game - except Philly pulled the ball away from the running back. They didn't blow a whistle, yet they didn't even consider if he lost the ball on a fumble because his forward progress was stopped. You can't have it both ways. Either you can do it and the ball is up for grabs, or you can't.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That's dumb - if the whistle hasn't blown to say his forward progress was stopped, then it should be a fumble. If it wasn't a fumble, then the ref blew it by not blowing it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

NJ ... just more effort to advantage the offense. I noticed we got a KSU call for defensive holding ... on a run play.

Soon, it'll be a foul to field a defense.

The rule twerkers are ruining the game.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's been a rule on the book for years to stop DL from holding pulling guards. It's rarely called though. You are right that the rules are favoring offenses. It should be noted that the NFL is calling Offensive PI penalties at a record pace. NE and GB offensive schemes rely heavily on pick plays.

8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If an Oline can push a ball carrier forward for more yardage then the D should be able to push a ball carrier back for loss of yards.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I posted a thread on this subject after the Notre Dame game. I noticed they would run a play where there was a pass in the flat, all the linemen would release and get behind the receiver and push like crazy. One play in particular we had two defensive backs trying to make a tackle and they got pushed back about seven yards for a first down. They should call it the scrum play. Every Notre Dame game I have watch since, they use the play. Not the only team to use it. By the end of the season everyone will be and next year it will be a penalty.
    At the very least there should be forward progress called. The runner is not making forward progress from his own momentum.
    As to the defense doing it forward progress is always called. Like when a runner is stood up in the backfield the whistle blows.

10. marley

marley 500+ Posts

I liked the old rule and would like it if it was a penalty to push your own ball carrier.

11. joh

joh 25+ Posts

sounds like a rugby scrum- hey we have a rugby punter.

12. JesterSurvivor

JesterSurvivor 25+ Posts

I seem to recall Matt Leinart being pushed iinto the endzone by Reggie (Show Me The Money) Bush in the USC win over ND in 2005.

The win was later vacated, but not due to the Bush Push. It was due to the Bush Payoff. USC had to give up all of its wins that season, and Bush had to give up Vince's Heisman.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Bush lateraled away the Heisman to Vince during the game. :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

In response our defense needs to keep coming until the whistle blows. We need to keep adding backwards energy as their offense keeps adding bodies to push the ball carrier forward. I sometimes see our guys let up 5 yards away and then the pile gets pushed forward for a gain they could have prevented