New Texas Enrollee...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hook 'Em Danno, May 30, 2012.

1. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

is a punter from Duke: Link. Could be one of the most important additions to the 2012 squad. [​IMG]

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

"We would like to sign a punter. We'd rather not punt. But based on my experience, that happens some."
    -- Mack Brown

3. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

Will Alex be on scholarship or be a preferred walk-on? Glad to have him, but it seems like there are 4 or 5 (unproven) punters and kickers on the squad now. It's like the TE roster.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Field position battle is to football what location, location, location is to housing. Muy bueno if it pans out.

5. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

Has to be better than Justin's punting vs. atm. And looks like ACC continues to lose football cred.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Whoever was handling kickoff duty during the Spring Game seems to have that locked up.

7. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

judging by the chatter about how bad our kicking was this spring i dont think any kicker has any position wrapped up. expecialy after they get this kid, and out 4 star kicker hasnt even had a official kick yet

8. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

If the dude is coming from Duke, I'm guessing he had lots of practice punting in game situations. [​IMG]

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

10. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

IdahoanHorn, did you make it to the spring game? We had one kicker that kicked it out of the endzone everytime he kicked off kicking to the north. Once through the uprights. That was with the wind. Kicking south against the wind he put it about 3 to 4 yards deep into the endzone. He has a strong leg and I'd love to see teams take the ball on the 20 more times than not considering our poor history of kickoff coverage.

11. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Oh and IdahoanHorn, the other kicker kicked off to about the 2 yard line with the wind and it was returned for a TD.
    [​IMG]

12. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

no i didnt travel the 2400 miles to watch a spring game but i did watch it on youtube. In my opinion when you have 2 kickers coming in i doubt that any position is locked up by anymeans... maybe im wrong but i highly doubt it. also keep in mind a touchback goes to the 25 now so i dont think a touchback is as valuable as it once was. for one i would rather a kicker that can put it on the goal line and have out gunner go get someone. I believe our athletes should be able to out manuver most teams.

13. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

Also the kickoff is 5 yards closer so i wouldnt read to much into someone kicking it threw the upright

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe the AAS mentioned the new punter will enrol in grad school and walk-on with one year of eligibility remaining.
    We may have good incoming punters, but a proven senior can't hurt, whether he becomes the starter or not.

15. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

That's accurate, accurate (couldn't resist). He's a good one and we can really use a punter with his creds.

16. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

The lack of football knowledge in this thread is strong. T-shirt fans gotta say their piece too I guess [​IMG]

17. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

Am I the T-shirt fan you are talking about?

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I think he is just messing around because it is no secret that the term T-Shirt fan is possibly the dumbest phrase going. It's a cop out and a last grasp effort in line with "you are a poopy-face" or "no tag backs".

It quickly eliminates any point made or attempted to be made but since none was attempted it's just a goof. Sort of like me typing "eiopiuveeadlkuo98900adsj;ladfupou".

No tag backs!

19. omnipresent

omnipresent 1,000+ Posts

Hey 100p - you're a poopy face

20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Is the T-shirt in question have a wolf face on it?

21. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

When in doubt, punt.

22. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Omni, [​IMG] x infinity.

I am rubber, you are glue.

23. UT1986

UT1986 500+ Posts

24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

IdahoanHorn, considering our kickoff coverage has been horrendous for a while now I'd be happy to make teams start at the 25 yardline. That's about 15 yards further back than what we normally allow.

25. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I am looking forward to seeing traditional booming punts vs. those rugby style kicks. The only thing I ever liked about that kick was that it set up perfectly for a kick fake if the defense turns their backs. But many times that kick failed due to a poor bounce or by not allowing the coverage unit time to get down the field.

26. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Call me crazy, but I'll be the staff tracks the failure/success rate of rugby and traditional punts that are attempted

27. IdahoanHorn

IdahoanHorn 250+ Posts

I35 We allowed 23.76 per return last year... which by no means is good.... but not 15 yards past the 25. Anyway... no matter who the kicker this kid will be a great addition