New Trinity minister: Wright was lynched

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Macanudo, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

2. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Anything they say will keep the story around for some, especially loyal FOX viewers.

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

4. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

wake me up when what some preacher says balances the budget.

5. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Macanudo:

Lots of people view FOX. More than any other 24/7 news network as far as I know. I don't know how that proves the veracity of their journalism or the sanity of their commentary, though.

"A Black Man Says Something Controversial" is like candy for the FOX crowd (and also the talk radio crowd).

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Wake me up when anybody balances a budget.

7. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

WTF does Fox News have to do with this? Focusness.

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

ditto the balancing of the budget. This would thrill me to no end!

9. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

10. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Ralphie:

11. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Wright will deliver three sermons on March 30 at the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church in Houston. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

12. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

bozo, thanks for the info. I will now craft my sermon for next Sunday to be about balanced budgets... or at least to mention it.

13. UT-69745551

UT-69745551 250+ Posts

Nothing Reverand Wright says in the future or in the past can do as much harm to this country as the most incompetent "born again" President of all time, GWB. The fact of the matter is that Wright is no less rational than John Hagy, Pat Robertson, or Jerry Falwell (God bless his fat *** soul). Their brand is just more mainstream and connects with the ignorant pious white voter, and so is more acceptable.

14. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I'm sure those who speak of balancing the budget have no debt including a mortgage.
    [​IMG]

15. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

badexcuse, most people who have a morgage are paying down their debt, and the have net assets that offset the debt. People who have a great deal of consumer debt.. that is just dumb.
    I am all for people saving money and balancing their personal budgets, and I am for the government doing the same.
    Another point, most people own one house and pay on the debt. They don't go out and buy MORE and MORE houses that they can't pay for.

16. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

UT-6923423

Most would agree about W doing more harm to this country than Wright, because of the power he has as president. The point where I begin to disagree with you is when you start to make value statements with regards to various theologies. I am going to make an assumption that you don't know a great amount about various theologies, much less the various theologies of the persons you named.

18. UT-69745551

UT-69745551 250+ Posts

19. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

20. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

UT-69, you are right. I apologise for my flip remarks and my assumptions with regards to your knowledge. That was not right on my part and I apologise.
    Now to answer your question a bit. Wright and Trinity profess Black Liberation Theology which is a derivative of modernist liberal theology. It has its roots in the 1960's. It heavily relies on the Exodus narrative from the OT, and essentially equals African American experience with that of the Israelites in Egypt.
    Hagee, Robertson, and Falwell, present a more orthodox scholastic type of Christianity that is fundamentalist in nature, in that it rejects modern liberal theology as it arose in Germany in the late 1800's and came to the US in the early 1900s.
    You stated, ‘The fact of the matter is that Wright is no less rational than John Hagy, Pat Robertson, or Jerry Falwell (God bless his fat *** soul). Their brand is just more mainstream and connects with the ignorant pious white voter, and so is more acceptable.’
    I disagree that Hagee, Robertson, or Falwell are ‘mainstream.’ They represent a far right politically charged rhetoric with which most Christians do not agree. If you want to say that more people agree with Hagee et al, than agree with Trinity, I would buy that. Also, it seems that you are equating ‘ignorant’ with ‘pious.’ That might not be the case and I hope I am misreading that part of your statement.
    The other major statement that I take exception to seems to be your proposal that ‘faith’ is not rational. Again, please accept my apologies for the flip assumptions about your knowledge.

21. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

There is nothing "scholastic" about Hagee's theology.

22. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

23. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Oh no you di'n't just use the word "lynch"!

[​IMG]

24. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

So has "lynch" become a word only African Americans can use? I just want to be sure I have all the PC cans/can'ts in order.

25. Bottom Line

Bottom Line 250+ Posts

Who will the good ministers blame if BO is elected? Will BO stop the US govt aids genocide on the black race?

BL

26. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Satchel, I meant 'scholastic' as it pertains to 'scholasticism'.
    The Link

This is a link to the defintion of Scholasticism. It is a technical theological term, and not the more general use of the term. I hope that clears up how I was using the term.

27. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

eflow, ministers and pastors can address moral issues from the pulpit. So it would be fine for a pastor to talk about abortion, ethics with regards to fiscal responsibility, sexualiity, marriage, etc. These are moral issues. A pastor can NOT and should NOT endorse candidates, or a political party.

28. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

29. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

THEU, thanks for the link. Again, there's nothing "scholastic" about Hagee's preaching.

30. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Satchel, how would you characterise Hagee's preaching/theology then?
    Note: I used the term scholastic against modern. Just wanted your take.