New York is having a rough time

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Joe Fan, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Cuomo announces his resignation. I guess he didn't have the votes to avoid removal. Link.

I wonder how long before CNN hires him to team up with his brother.

• Like Like x 2
  2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Tara Reade wants a microphone and camera in front of her.

3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

11. Make it 26 and then run for President. Until then, hush it.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Cuomo should be put away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Another massive Liberal media hero flaming out.

I think we should stop pretending "our" politicians are honest and instead understand that the love affair with these charlatans is all about your own inferiority complex.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Cool....now do Trump being the presumptive GOP nominee! :popcorn:

7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

And, to be clear, he was pressured to resign from all levels of the Democratic party for conduct that pales in comparison to that of the former President. And, if anyone dares speak out against him, the base chews them up and spits them out. I think there's a start difference the Democratic and GOP methods of dealing with this kind of bad behavior in their respective parties.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I already have.

9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Are you bystander?

10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Instead of harassing women he should have gone black face and ridiculed an entire race of people. Would have saved his gig. Democrats are cool with that stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Again, the sanctimony nauseates. Nobody's pressuring Ralph Northam. Nobody's pressuring Justin Fairfax. Nobody pressured Bill Clinton.

Cuomo was pressured to resign, because he isn't useful anymore, and because he was an ******* to other Democrats long before this controversy was commonly known. He had very few real friends and a lot of enemies in his own party. The whole narrative that he was a great, unifying leader was a media-created fraud. It was never real. Democratic insiders always knew he was slimy.

What if New York had a Republican Lt. Governor? What if it was more competitive (like Virginia)? In other words, what if losing an incumbent actually meant possibly losing power? They'd be rallying around Cuomo. They may condemn what he did once it became undeniable, but they'd never support ousting him and giving a Republican an opportunity to gain power. That would be out of the question.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They're cool with all of it if not being cool with it costs them power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Are you Barry Switzer?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Trump's personal actions were not acceptable to me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

D's have no problem eating their own if the evidence warrants it. That was a change after Bill Clinton departed. They'll even overreact (See Al Franken) rather than risk not being perceived as supportive of women.

Not useful anymore? Haven't looked at polling lately but I'd lay money he had more general appeal for POTUS '24 than Harris.

Not saying he could fully overcome this mess but the D's are all in on women's issues and nobody, even a popular D like Cuomo, can violate a woman's trust and survive.

Let's be clear why he was popular among Ds. He offered up intelligent, cogent and insightful Covid briefings in contrast to the person that resided in the WH at the time. That shouldn't have been a cause celebre but the bar was pretty low at that moment, no talk of drinking bleach or sticking UV lights up your *** as a cure for Covid.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

To the people who were making the decision (New York state legislators), he isn't useful.

But even to the national party, his use was short-term - basically 2020 and not much more. By '24, the sexual abuse and Covid handling would have created big vulnerabilities.

And Kamala Harris can't be the standard. She has unusually poor appeal, and the party leaders know it. That's why they didn't push for her in '20. The Democrats have a dozen potential options that are better than her or Cuomo.

Justin Fairfax can. Bill Clinton's could. But they were useful.

You're not wrong, but think of how superficial and easy for a competent opponent to attack this is. Yes, he sounded intelligent, cogent, and insightful to media figures who liked him and hated the other guy who sounded like a buffoon. So those media figures said lots of nice things about him, and Democratic voters who like and trust those media figures because they say what those voters want to hear agreed with them. Not too surprising. However, up against somebody who doesn't sound like a buffoon, he doesn't look as good. They might bring up the nursing homes and the horrendous death rate (which should be what matters most). The reality is that Cuomo's reputation as a great leader was fake and agenda-driven. Democratic state legislators in New York knew better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Seattle Husker

Fairfax was lucky that he wasn't high profile enough at the time. Still, his star has been effectively extinguished. (From Wikipedia)

Regarding this next passage:
    I think you're overleveraging the media angle. In this case the media followed the viewers that desperately wanted a counter to the Orange one. Liberals wanted a leader who took Covid seriously and could speak on the topic eloquently. Other Governors tried (Inslee, Newson, MD Gov) but didn't have the benefit of their states being impacted as much which gave Cuomo, rightly or wrongly, credibility in the fight. So, Cuomo got a primetime seat with his PC's running nearly in sequence to Trump's mess. The comparison was natural when you'd seen them both back to back. Leadership, especially political leadership, is primarily opportunity. Cuomo stepped into the void left by Trump. That wasn't media driven but apparent by listening to them talk on the issue. It was only later that the skeletons in the closet became apparent.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Once again, Deez wraps up Democrat scumbaggery and ties it off with a nice shiny bow.

19. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Northam, Fairfax, et al. Add all of the **** they did and Trump turns into this guy: [​IMG]

22. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

It will be interesting to watch in 2024. If Joe doesn't run for reelection, Kamala, as the sitting VP, will think it's hers for the taking. If she mounts a fight for the nomination and the party doesn't give it to her, it could seriously divide the party. And if they do nominate Kamala, she'll be destroyed in the general election.

23. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

TDS

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My feeling is I hope he is not the nominee. My other feeling is that Liberalism must be crushed.

How can I reconcile the two?

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This is true, but none of it involves Democrats forfeiting or risking the forfeiture of power. That's the key difference. Had they canned Fairfax (or Northam who had done something that would be a career destroyer for a Republican), it would be a threat to power, because VA is bluish (meaning a Republican can win when the candidate is strong and when the conditions are at least somewhat favorable) rather than solidly blue like NY is.

Do we actually know the media followed the viewers? I don't think most people watched either of these guys' briefings as they were happening. They watched clips of them on the news and the commentary.

Nevertheless, when I say Cuomo's rep as a great Covid leader was media-driven, I don't mean that he didn't actually communicate well. He did. He said all the right things and said them in erudite verbiage while Trump acted like a buffoon who was all over the map. (I will say this. If Trump hadn't acted like a buffoon, I don't think it would have made a difference to the media or to liberal voters. I think it would have made a difference to independents.) What I mean is that on the substance, Cuomo's record on Covid was much more questionable and vulnerable to criticism than the rhetoric and the accolades from the media would suggest. Furthermore, if you speak well in public, but you act like an ******* in private like Cuomo did (and I mean to Democratic leaders that he had to work with, not just the women he thought he had the right to grope anytime he felt like it), it suggests that the strong leadership your rhetoric evokes is a facade rather than something the public can actually count on to get results.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Keep in mind that I'm not a Trump guy. I didn't vote for him in '16, and I only did in '20 because Biden basically put a political gun to my head in a way that Hillary did not. So the whataboutism is pretty meaningless to me.

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

:trophy:

28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Says all my friends in their f'n MAGA hats. When I see a 17 year old wearing a MAGA hat it physically hurts me.

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Cuomo was awesome at the press conferences. He was ****** in the planning room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Seattle Husker

All hat, no cattle. Did I use that idiom correctly?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1