New York

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by bradford702, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bradford702

bradford702 100+ Posts

Heading to New York in late June and I am looking for a place to stay on VRBO, can anyone recommend a neighborhood that would centrally located on close to the subway to get around to all the main attractions? Just two of us going and I don't need anything fancy or expensive, just safe.

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

What is VRBO? A hotel that I have stayed in several times is the Hotel Wellington. It's an older hotel - most rooms have been remodeled - but I think it's in a great location. It's 1 block south of Carnegie Hall, 2 or 3 blocks from Central Park, in good weather it's within walking distance of Broadway.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Vacation Rental By Owner?

I suggest staying in SoHo but it will cost a bit. I always had fun in that area when I lived/hung out there. Then again I was dating a girl who lived there and traveled a lot so I "cat sitted" quite a bit. I got a super expensive loft with no haggling over the remote.

4. bradford702

bradford702 100+ Posts

Yes, Vacation Rental By Owner. Have found some good deals in that past for foreign countries but never tried it for the US.

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Vacation Rental By Owner.. i went to the website. pretty cool.

Seems like it would be a better NYC experience living in a brownstone for $200 with a kitchen than an impersonal hotel for $250/$300 a night.

At least for some types of travelers.

most of manhattan is pretty safe though, you can't go wrong with most of those neighborhoods. Just kind of depends where you think you will be doing most of your sight seeing..

If it was me, i would probably focus on the Upper West Side or the Village.