Next Head Coach

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AC, Nov 15, 2015.

1. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I am just being presumptuous here,
    Who would or could replace CS IF we do go 4-8 bed in 2015?

Morris at Clemson

2. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

I favor a coach who can attract top assistants, fits well through and through with the State of Texas and high school coaches, is not intimidated by any stretch of the imagination with the job and all that it brings; in short, is more than capable to wear the pants and the hat.

Is well-suited to being in front of the camera, can handle himself in every social circle and environment, is well-accepted by all media and cross-country fraternity of the game, both players and coaches alike, to include leadership in all the Power 5 conferences, and is a superb fit with all UT alumni and former players.

In short is both a capable leader and coach and representative of the game of collegiate football. Might well already have a national championship ring, been there, done that, and knows what it takes to dominate both conference play and the sport in general and can handle the spotlight of the biggest games to be played. Would be at home in any venue in America, against an opponent from any conference, in any setting.

Wonder who that might be that fits all that? I can tell you I have no qualms with a person who fits all those parameters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The sons of Klem have no Morris coaching there.

We are THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, not Arkansas State or Troy. Experienced recruiter, experienced head coach, no glorified HS coaches. Let's see what Chad Morris does in Highland Park before we anoint him the next Malzahn, Freise (sp), Fedora.

Biggest problem is that there aren't many experienced quality coaches out there, even fewer that will move.

4. TexasToast

TexasToast < 25 Posts

Morris left Clemson last year.....

5. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Job #1 of a major college football coach:

Get all the 5,4-star players you can. 2-deep, 3-deep.

Jobs #2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,....see #1.

6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Oopppsshhh!

Busy running a company, missed that. Barely have time to follow Texas. Much less Clemson. Morris is 1-9 at SMU, but over the next 6 weeks many names will surface.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Hermann at UH should be first interview but Charlie is getting a third year so this is a hypothetical discussion for at least one more year.

8. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

How many years was Bill Snyder out of retirement?

What other name coaches have left, semi-retired or what-have-you, and returned to their program?

9. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

True, except that attracting top-rated players alone will not win championships. A coach's job is to also develop and utilize their talent.

10. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

True, and that takes 4-5 years to do that thoroughly. I hope Charlie gets the time he was initially promised.

11. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Didn't take Mack, Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh 4 or 5 seasons to produce a winning team at their latest gig. They all did it first time out. Joining top flight universities with a wealth of luxuries at their disposal was all they needed to succeed. And every one of those coaches took over a losing program.

Just saying. The Texas job was a far cry from what Briles walked into at Baylor. Two losing seasons at this job is a failure...period. Even CS will vouch for that. He already said a losing season at Texas is unacceptable and would never happen again. And here we are with the excuses once again. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 5
  12. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

How much time was he promised?

I think he will haul in another top 15 class. Hope he thats enough to get us rolling again.

14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Sign me up for Herman. At 5-7 or 4-8, his resume sounds more appealing to me. The only CS resume I see now is 10-13, and it looks bush league for $5 mil a year.

Even improved press conferences would be a nice step up. I'd rather watch Leach talk about our 4-6 team than the current fail on the field and in PR.

• Like Like x 1
  15. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

If Clemson wins it all this year, we need to go after their head coach like coaches are going out of style.

16. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

And it didn't take Rich Rodrigez and Brady Hoke very long to win at Michigan or Tyrone Willingham very long to win at Notre Dame. And all those coaches ended up getting fired right after that, so what's your point. In my opinion it's not very smart to talk about what other coaches did at other programs, because every situation is not the same.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I agree. Each coach and situation must be judged separately.

For instance, Tom Herman is undefeated at UH. Kevin Sumlin was 12-0 at UH in his last season there before losing his conference championship game. On the basis of that, he got the Texas A&M job, and immediately went 11-2 with Johnny Manziel and the rest of Mike Sherman's players. Unfortunately, his teams' won/loss records have regressed each year since then.

Somebody mentioned Art Briles. He went 7-5, 3-8 and 6-6 in his first 3 seasons at UH before turning the ship around there. He went 4-8, 4-8 and 7-6 in his first 3 seasons at Baylor before he got that team cranked up with Robert Griffin and the rest of his own recruits in his 4th year.

Just saying, some programs and coaches don't get the immediate turn around. Judge the coach by his long term potential, not his short term record.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  18. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Yep, and what's mind boggling to me is that a lot of posters on this board were saying that coach Strong didn't have very much head coaching experience, and that he didn't play anyone at Louisville. But a lot of the same posters want the coach at Houston or SMU, they've only been head coaches for 3 or 4 months and both play in a mediocre conference. And once again, things like that make me question if this is more than just about wins and loses.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  19. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Best college football coaches:

1. Meyer
    2. Saban
    3. A bunch of guys who look about like Charlie Strong did when we hired him.

• Like Like x 6
  20. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Larry Fedora would win big at Texas and get us into the playoffs. He took over a hell hole
    at North Carolina and turned it around while not having losing seasons. Not sure if we could get him, but he might be ready to come home to Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

let's not consider any HC's whose only starting QB in their head coaching career is now in the NFL.

Hermann named his son "Maverick"? ok, sign me up on his bandwagon :smokin:

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The only think I think comparable to what Fedora inherited at Chappell Hill may have been the mess in Convict Gables. Not even when we had alums calling recruits and telling them not to choose Texas because Akers was going to be fired, was it as bad as Fedora's situation at UNC. He has simply produced a complete turnaround and put a winner on the field just like he did in Hattiesburg. His family is well known to all Texas HS coaches. My fear is the Aggies will grab him before we get a chance. (Yes, there have been unofficial inquiries.)

For those about to say Sumlin is going nowhere, he is in 6th place in the SEC West (out of 7 teams) and last week he lost to the 7th place team at Kyle Field. His mouth wrote checks his *** can't cash, and now he has lost a large portion of his team. He's watching his phone for a call from the 714 area code.

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

714? Fullerton? Irvine? Anaheim Ducks? Los Angles Angels of Anaheim? That is about all there is (except for a bunch of JUCO's) in Orange County.

I would guess you mean 213 which is the area code for USC.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

Sorry. My friends that work at USC have cell phones issued with Orange County numbers, because most of them live there rather than The People's Republic of Santa Monica, although the prices are far less expensive in Compton & Downey.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I lived in the PRSM for a while then moved to Laguna Beach so I understand. Just a hell of a drive to downtown LA and Dodger Stadium.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is indeed, but when I was officing at 26th & Wilshire, I could make it from there to Newport in 45 minutes in rushhour. My personal opinion is that Orange County has the best freeways of any metropolitan area in the country.

USC has so much real estate donated or willed to them that they have an entire group at the school that does nothing but manage all of that property. Two of my friends who live in Orange County use a condo near downtown when they have late or really early meetings.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I worked at Curson and Wilshire which meant the Santa Monica Freeway or Olympic/Pico.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Best time I ever made was going to 91 & International HWY. Can't remember the route, but down 110 to east on Long Beach Fwy (???) to 57 to 91. That was from Beverly Wilshire Hotel and made it in 45 minutes at 5:15 Friday afternoon. I did get stopped another time by CHP for driving in HOV lanes. Told him that we didn't have fancy paint like those diamonds on our roads in Texas. He let me go.

The one I hated was the Garbage Grove Frwy (sixty something?).

29. StructureDude

StructureDude 100+ Posts

Sooooooo......Mack Brown?

• Like Like x 1
  30. marley

marley 500+ Posts

If you have to, hire some D-III coach.

He'll be better than this unbelievably inept coach.