Next Head Coach?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Unless unexpected improvements materialize instantly, Strong won't survive the offseason. Bedford probably won't regardless. Up until the last two games, I've been in Strong's corner, but a defensive-minded coach should do better. I want to see him turn it all around and then stay here next year, doing better than ever, but it's not likely.

So...who would you pick? Herman is a great choice, but I already like Gilbert. I think if we can keep him, keep him, and that puts us in good shape for the offense already. I guess you could still hire Herman and keep Gilbert, but at that point, we still need a top-notch DC.
    Who should we get at head coach and/or DC? What good choices are (or will be) out there?

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I don’t know but I hope the guys who write the checks have already gotten a committee together to find a staff worthy of The University of Texas.

• Like Like x 7
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We suck and regressing (if you can believe that), and LSU will be all over Herman, if not all on him now.

We gotta make an offer to Herman asap.

4. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Herman's dc is top notch. He is the guy. Gilbert might stay because the administration may not want applewhite on the staff given past indiscretions. But Herman is absolutely the guy. He is recruiting at a high level at uh so that will not fall off at all.

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Herman has earned a promotion. Whether the big cigars will make the move is gonna be interesting.

6. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

ABC - anyone but charlie

7. scottsp

scottsp 100+ Posts

The Tom Herman pitch better be in the final planning stages and ready to go on ice until a formal offer can be made.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

LSU probably already has made their pitch. Texas will owe Strong $10 million plus another $1.5 million to Gilbert and Maddux. It will take $7 to $8 million per year to get Herman away from either LSU or USC.

All of that is pushing even the Texas envelope

9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

There are 127 FBS schools that have a smarter coach than ours. Just the management of the game tells you all you need to know. Calling a TO after 1st down with 1:27 left on the clock before half allowing OSU to score thus pretty much ending the game right there. Then, with 2:45 left in the game after we stop OSU on 3rd down and with 3 TO's Charlie doesn't use one allowing 40 sec to run off the clock.

Hey Charlie, do you realize there are a whole bunch of ways you can stop the clock on offense and only 1 on defense?

We coulda scored with a min left in the game had Charlie used a timeout there and after Shanes scramble. Onside kick and maybe score again. I realize we weren't gonna win, but winners never give up, champions keep fighting til' the end. That defeatest attitude is another good reason why Charlie needs to go.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

That's pocket change for some of our big $ donors and it's possible Major would be out anyway due to the Kearney suit so maybe Gilbert and Mattox could be kept.

12. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

I love the assumption Tom Herman is going anywhere. Not your typical coach looking at his next job.

Why deal with the Politics at Texas or LSU? You can win at UH.......without the headaches.

Not everything is about money. If UH gets into the Big 12, he will will make 5.5 million with a 5 million dollar bonus. If not...we will see. Dont assume it is about money for Herman.

There is a reason people turned down Texas the last time you had an opening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Because he probably wants to coach a real football program I stead of Cougar High.

14. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I wonder how tied Herman is to Major. Would he demand that Major come with him? Could be a problem.

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

All this talk about Herman as if Perrin has the balls to do anything about our situation.

16. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

What if major got hired to replace Tom Herman ... problem solved!

17. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Charlie will try to protect Vance through the season so that he can then sacrifice him after the season to save his own job. Tried and true strategy many times over

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Right. Follow the money, and the money isn't at Cougar High.
    All successful coaches have large ego's. Why coach in the AAC when you can coach and win at the highest level.
    ESPN and Fox have both said no new money for any of the schools the Big XII is looking at. As long as that stays the same there will not be an expansion. Herman is all about the money.
    and what would that would be other than they all received $1 million plus a year raises to stay where they were and the Texas AD was incompetent and the President was clueless?

• Like Like x 1
  20. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Ive said it a 100 hundred times. UH can be a top 5 team every year. They have everything in place for it, except the conference. But its about the school, not the conference. UH will get into a Power 5 conference eventually, and if Herman stays and continues to build UH, its only a matter of time.

What helps Texas is that Herman is on record that UT is his dream job. UH is a fantastic opportunity and the sky is the limit for them, but UT would be an obvious choice for Tom Herman. Otherwise I hope he stays at UH.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What Conference? aggy will not let them in the $EC; lack of academics will not let them in either the PAC-12 or the B1G. That leaves the ACC which will probably end up merging with the Big XII and will not need UH. UH could not keep Briles or Sumlin. What makes Herman any different?

22. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I'm done with it as well. Coming off a bye week and just looking unprepared in the basic elements of the game. It's not even the defense that has me this concerned - kids learn and grow and start figuring things out, and I suspect that the young guys back there would improve given time. They're bad, but I knew they'd be bad this year and have a chance to grow.

My issue is that when you continue to see the decisions and preparation that need to be handled by a head coach, and they're just not happening, you have to start evaluating one person only and that's Charlie.

When you are so overwhelmed in a game that you try to decline a penalty which would allow the other team to get a first down, your head is not in the game. Your mind has too many things going on to process basic gametime decisions. When you have three timeouts and your offense is driving in the fourth quarter and clearly not going to win, but you basically let the game run down rather than doing everything you can to at least try to put something on the board - not to mention punting when you're down three scores with three minutes to play - shows you've basically packed it in and are thinking like a defensive coach and not a head coach who ought to be coaching for his job and not to contain damage.

When your sideline has committed not one but two personal foul sideline interference penalties - and at least one of them was you - you are not paying attention to the things a head coach needs to do that have nothing to do with gameplanning and scheming. You have to be able to do all that and still notice and address the details of managing a team of players, coaches and support staff.

There were more. I lost track. it looked as if clock and play decisions were being made on the fly with no pre-thought given to in-game situations. He doesn't strike me as a coach that can tell you what he's going to do in a given situation until it happens and he's forced into making the decision on the fly.

Not to mention that you have a young offensive coordinator who while young is not ready to be running the show without some guidance. This is two games in a row where a the offense has essentially been shut down by second-half adjustments, and the coach has been unable or unwilling to make his own adjustments to keep things rolling. Charlie's teams are better off when he's not dealing with the offense, and right now I don't think that's a good fit for this team.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

This and more. I said some of these things in other threads, but how truly inept can someone be to try to decline a penalty that would have resulted in them to have a 1st down? Good thing the refs were kind enough to say, "are you sure you want to decline that"?

Kicking off both halves, more sideline penalties than most teams have in 10 years, more blocked EP attempts than most teams have in 5 seasons, it just goes on and on.

I was never thrilled at the Strong hire, but I never truly felt it could ever be this bad. My dog could coach better.

24. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

Cougar High is 18-1 in the last seasons. So much for the mighty Horns.

• Like Like x 1
  25. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

How do u know Herman is all about the money? He actually turn down more salary to give money for his assistants.
    Win at Texas? lol. UT hasnt been a winner in over half a decade.

26. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Just pondering....IF CS was fired tomorrow, who on this staff could fill the "interim" title (ala Orgeron at LSU)? Not that I am saying keep Charlie, but interesting question!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Your enthusiasm for Houston is fine, but every coach in the FBS has one goal - the win a national championship. If they do not have that goal, you don't want him. That isn't going to happen for Houston anytime soon because they are not in a Power 5 Conference. Is that not right? Probably; but that is the way it is.

And then there is the money. He will earn at least $3 million more per year at either LSU, USC or Texas. I am not sure the family would understand turning that down for a job where doing the best you can do will not get you even a shot at a national championship.

If AAC Championships and nice bowl trips are all he wants he can stay at Houston. At LSU or USC he would have a shot at the playoff's in 2017. At Texas (where he has already coached) the good years will be 2018 and 2019 (as good a coach as he is it will take him a season of teaching football to get rolling).

• Like Like x 1
  28. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

Um...guess u are not paying attention. If Houston beats Louisville....and are undefeated....they are making the playoff this season.

29. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Herman knows a head coach is only as good as his assistants !!!!!!!

30. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

Good quality football being played at a lot of other programs.
    Wis-Michigan. Man's game.
    Last night, stud effort from Washington.
    Get a look at this Clemson unit right now.
    That's football.

add Houston, Alabama, Ohio State...
    aggie?!! yup. I guess.

• Like Like x 1