Next man up to lead us?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by BALL IS LIFE, Jan 5, 2023.

1. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Jay Wright would be allsome. IF we could just scratch him a gigantic check, I bet we could get him out of retirement - he would love the weather down here!!

2. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's not going to be Terry. Go watch pretty much any presser from his latter days at Fresno. He's combative with the media and blames players/injuries way too much for my taste. The KSU game alone is enough of a reason to not trust his style.

McCasland has to be at/near the top of the list.
    • Scott Drew tree (cheating is no longer a concern with NIL)
    • Beats superior opponents with scheme
    • Is kind of "Beard-like" in how he generates interest in program
    • Finds transfers who contribute immediately
    • Would do well with unlimited resources

• Like Like x 1
  4. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I think you are right but I think KSU's and Nova's coach are pretty good.

5. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

From what KSU has done this year, that guy is legit.

6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Terry IS getting his chance. Coaching this team the rest of the season, is a legit shot. Terry knows the players and they know him. If he can’t take the team into the tournament and win two games then he’s not the guy. If he does get to the Sweet 16 and keeps the current recruits then he deserves a contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pretty much what I’m saying. If he loses a few recruits, but later adds some roughly equivalent recruits, that would also be ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Curious if UT is going to insist on psychological exams for the new coach and partner since mental illness by one or both is a fireable offense now.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe coach gets an annual $1m bonus if coach and partner passes a mental health screen annually. I would use that if I was the lawyer for the new coach. I would say, “how much is firing Beard costing you in future recruits, etc.?”

10. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I do not like the product on the court right now. There was no defense the last 6 games that resulted in the KSU debacle. Today, we saw good defense but Shanka style offedse.

not impressed. Let’s see what happens in the conference but I don’t think he is our man

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Could be.
    Terry is getting his shot.
    Jury is still out for now.

12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe you are over thinking this a bit? You should take up smoking brisket. Much easier than figuring out this mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Contract negotiations is my business. I currently have an $8m contract on the Chairman’s desk of Indian Oil waiting on approval. If I don’t get contracts signed, I am out of a job and on the streets.

Worse situation imaginable is when the high level corporate lawyers are involved. Almost guaranteed to f**k up the deal. These are equivalent to the educrats that Sabre refers to. One end result is that they make either impossible or hard to achieve another contract. Eventually the owners figure this out, but you waste 5-10 years of opportunities until they do.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  14. horninchicago

But...this is a fan board.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Let me connect the dots for you. Have you ever wondered why certain teams like Texas or Alabama or USC or OU have great winning seasons for 5-10 years and then slip down to mediocrity? It’s because the organization has for a blessed few years eliminated all of the morons and idiots. But it doesn’t last forever and the idiots and morons eventually find their way back into the organization. This decision to fire Beard without any evidence is going to hurt UT because coaches will change their opinion about wanting to work for UT. If anything, Texas is going to have to pay more $$$ to hire the same coach compared to last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I guarantee you the Beard firing is the no. 1 thing discussed by every basketball coach’s agent. Seems relevant to me.

17. horninchicago

NIL and everything else that makes BB boring as hell is ruining it, so it seems like it doesn't matter.

And, I'm just busting your basketballs somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
  18. horninchicago

Lemme check with ALPA to see if we can hire you for our contract negations next year.

:coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I agree. And the discussion is probably very similar to nearly everyone elses. What a complete moron for letting himself get into this situation. I am quite certain his firing will have zero impact on the University's ability to hire the next coach. The university did what it had to do, it is really that simple.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Amen! And after they f**k-it up, they retain extremely highly expensive outside counsel to pull their nuts out of the fire.

21. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

23. longhornlegend

I dont agree with this. Every person has a responsibility to conduct their lives in a respectable manner especially when they are in charge of student athletes. By putting himself in a position to have to deal with this is the problem. Dont bring light to yourself in a negative way. Beards woman is a nightmare on steriods. Just do a little research on her activites at Frendship high school and then at TT. If Beard chose to drag along someone who has repeated issues from different places, thats on his decision making ability. As for no investigation, they have the police reports so there is some data to work from. This is just like gillespie at tt a few years back who didnt sign his contract. Bad choices have bad consequences.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Every employer has the responsibility to treat their employees fairly and not give in to the Twitter mob. Do you have evidence that Texas fairly investigated the matter? Beard’s lawyer said it didn’t happen. Why would you take a job when there is no expectation that your employer will treat you fairly? End result will be Texas selecting from a smaller pool of desperate coaches.

25. longhornlegend

I think you under estimate CDC. Many many years back when I worked for the federal government, the expectation was that you had to avoid even the appearance of "impropriety". Seems like Texas has a similar position. I dont read this as Texas cowed to the woke mob. I think they decided that a guy in such a high well paid position needs to handle his personal life to a higher standard. I have also owned and ran a business and also expected my employees to adhere to a reasonable conduct on the job. MChammer, you and I just seem to disagree on what reasonable is and thats ok since we didnt have to make this decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think you understand what is going on. CDC did not make this decision - some weasel in the UT legal compliance department did. That weasel made CDC’s job harder to do. Was there a credible investigation? You seem to ignore this. What happens if the next coach has a kid that tweets that his/her dad is abusive? Fireable offense without a credible investigation? You don’t think the lawyer for the next coach isn’t going to use this to ask for more guaranteed money?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  27. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

I tend to agree with some of both of mc and ll points. Yes Beard needed to handle his personal life at a higher standard. And yes was there a credible investigation? How could there have been. They didn’t even talk to Beard or his lady. And none of us know for sure what happened in that house that night and i don’t think the university does either.

28. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

I hate this thread but, I don't think Beard was treated any differently then any other man in a similar situation. Wife/girlfriend calls police. Police arrest man, man goes to jail. No one ever knows what happened. If woman "presses charges" justice is done. If woman recants, further proof she is part of the cycle of domestic abuse. Not taking sides just saying my experience is that when it comes to domestic violence there seems to be a presumption that the man was the aggressor.

Not sure why UT is involved but if he was involved in a fight for running room it is at the very least poor judgment on his part. If this was a regular occurrence with the next Mrs. Right, then it is very poor judgment. This ending could be unfair but in today's world it was very predictable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts