Next man up to lead us?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by BALL IS LIFE, Jan 5, 2023.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Has he slapped anyone around?

His life was threatened once by John Chaney.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

To be fair, professors have been fired at prestigious universities for having a consensual relationship with a woman researcher in another department and been accused of “sexual harassment” by a 3rd party, such as an aggrieved grad student. In the case I am thinking off, the investigation was a sham. Again, the contract the new coach signs is worthless.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think recruiting violations but my memory is not so good anymore.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No. He had the wise guys bury them out in an abandoned field somewheres.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  6. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Now thats funny!!! You win!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. NottaHorn

NottaHorn 25+ Posts

Seems like UT has to hire a squeaky clean guy to replace Beard. It doesn’t make sense to fire a great coach in the present because of the “conduct unbecoming clause” only to replace him with a coach whose glory days may be behind him and whose “conduct was unbecoming” in the past at another university.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We should hire Rick Barnes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Calipari Kentucky team just lost to South Carolina at home. They were a 20 point favorite. His team which was preseason top 5 is now 10-6 and 1-3 in conference. Doesn't sound the kind of up and coming great coach I want at Texas. Hiring him would be similar to A&M bringing in Jimbo in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Royal with cheese Ivey?

• Like Like x 3
  11. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

This guy made my argument in less words.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm not in on hiring this guy. Makes absolutely zero sense.

13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

A few Rodney Terry stats. He is 163-156 in his 10 seasons as a college head coach before Texas. His best season was at Fresno St 25-10 losing in the NCAA first round (his only year to qualify). He's now 6-1 here. He did have some success at Fresno St with four 20+ win seasons but had 12+ losses in all years but two.

He'll have a great opportunity to have a chance as the interim coach for the remainder of the season. With his resume he wouldn't even be a blip on the radar in a regular coaching search so inheriting a top 5 caliber team I can't believe he would be a serious candidate with even the slightest decline from where we started. Let's see what happens.

• Winner Winner x 4
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmmmmm. I can think of a squeaky clean coach whose team already has 13 wins (same as us), and is in the Top 25–but with a lot less talent and resources at his disposal. And he’s as clean as they come.

Not mentioning any names…

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Penders?

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I like the Musselman potential.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

And he is right where he needs to be (which is not here).

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

How about the guy from Abilene Christian? Joe Golding. He coaches defense like Beard did, and he also helped us decide to part ways with Shaka, so we owe him a favor.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. NottaHorn

NottaHorn 25+ Posts

Here’s the awkward choice for UT…Chris Ogden is a damn good coach. He was on my short list for our opening after Adam’s. But it’s more bad optics for UT to even consider any current staff member other than Terry.

When Adams exits the TTU job (if he doesn’t get his personal family business in order, that’ll be sooner rather than later) I want Richard Pitino from UNM or Chris Ogden.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

21. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

What's Sydmill Harris up to these days?

Did you know he speaks 8 languages?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I don't know either way. I figure we have people reaching out all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Why not Ivey? Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Basically, in basketball, we depart with good coach, after good coach, after good coach, after good coach, all the way back to Bob Weltlich who was not a good coach. We need more continuity around here.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Would a man such as Louie Carnesseca have lasted around here? He never won a national championship but kept St. Johns in the conversation for decades. He also got knocked out of the NCAA tournament many times in either the 1st or 2nd round. But he became an institution with his sweaters and consistency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Same with Barnes. We were always relevant. If we had stuck with him, on occasional years we'd have made it to the Final Four. Maybe we would have won it all at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  27. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Or maybe not.

• Agree Agree x 5
  28. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Put me in the not Calipari list.

There are several younger coaches with a ton of upside I would want before a retread, past his prime, just in it for the money at this point coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Something is happening with that program. I read an article where they said the players might be tuning him out. I thought that was odd given all the one and dones. They aren't there long enough to get burnt out. Barnes might have burnt players out who stayed longer due to his intensity. But I believe the honeymoon is over and the Kentucky fans are very restless. They got smoked by Alabama the other day. Does that mean we should go for the Alabama coach? I'd never heard of him until the Beard thing kicked in. Calipari is a damn legend. Is it just a case of him getting burned out at the rabid Kentucky pressure or did he all of a sudden forget how to coach? Has the game changed on him? I don't even know what his style is as far as strategy and culture. But he's had some incredible players. That always helps. We'd probably have tremendous recruiting classes just on his name alone. There's a huge buy-out for him. And he'd want big dollars from us. I guess we have the money because we're not paying Beard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Put me in the get Calipari list. No brainer.
    UK basketball is in a wokeness transformation.

Texas has already worked the BS thru their programs.

[Racial slur removed]

He will bring the hardware to Austin
    Waxing Rick in Knoxville today

Kentucky at No. 1 is pretty much set in stone:Nobody's catching Kentucky. The Wildcats were a close No. 2 entering the signing period, then went out and landed top-ranked prospect Wagner. That gives John Calipari four of the top eight prospects in the 2023 class, with Wagner joining top-10 prospects Justin Edwards, Aaron Bradshaw and Robert Dillingham, along with top-30 prospect Reed Sheppard. With zero one top-25 prospect left, there's no chance for Duke or anyone else to catch Kentucky -- barring a string of decommitments or other surprises.

• poop poop x 3