Next man/woman up ! or should I say OUT !.....

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by MajesticII, Dec 1, 2019.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You are missing the point. It’s about firing the woman and not firing the man.

2. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

I understand the point you're trying to make, but technically this wouldn't be a firing. They aren't breaking a contractual relationship. They're simply choosing not to extend. Legally that's a major difference. Nothing is promised to Karen beyond the end of this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I respectfully disagree. While I do think Shaka has underperformed, there have been some extenuating circumstances (injuries, etc) that have hindered the men's team this year. I do NOT think he's the answer for our men's program, but he just may get a pass into another year of his contract.

Karen, on the other hand, has shown that she can NOT coach up her players or compete for a conference championship. Five HS All-Americans still on her roster, four of which were Top 10 recruits and one which is arguably the best freshman in the conference, and she still can't even put a product on the floor that can maintain a Top 25 ranking. Yup... a team with Top 10 talent without a ranking. Go figure.

Losses to Hawaii (in a three way tie for 2nd place in Big West with a 15-14 overall record) and a narrow win over UNT (12th place in Conference USA) stand out even more than the embarrassing losses to Arizona and Baylor. Yeah, we barely beat Stanford... and they just lost to Oregon by 30+. Oh... and let's not forget that loss to LAST PLACE Kansas.

If not for the fact that we claimed 3rd place (two games behind 2nd and SIX games out of 1st) in the Big 12 with that stellar 11-7 conference record, we would not be in the NCAA tournament. Other than the Stanford win, I don't see anything on our season resume that deserves a bid.

Folks are always so quick to make excuses about Baylor having so much more talent, but how about looking at what TCU has done this season and compare their talent level to ours. Pebley and her staff have coached their players up, while the UT staff has FAILED ours tremendously. The contract is up after this season, and it's time for KA to pack up and get gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some posters just refuse to give Karen credit for anything she's achieved at Texas; they would rather make excuses for Shaka and talk up Pebley (whose team is the biggest pretender / fraud and will be exposed quickly in the NCAA tournament) just to knock down Karen despite an Elite 8 appearance, and a few more Sweet 16 appearances. Smart and Pebley have not even sniffed one Sweet 16 in their like 5 years or so in their current jobs; might not even have won a single game in the NCAA tourney (cuz their teams rarely qualify for the NCAA tourney). If Pebley can't recruit players who the recruiting services rank highly (accurately or not), that's her fault and no one else's; perhaps she doesn't have the right personality to lure in more highly-ranked recruits.

The last two seasons have not been good under Aston; but, it does NOT negate all the success we had under Aston the previous 5-6 seasons. But, I have accepted that a handful of posters put blinders on to downplay or ignore her successes at Texas because they want to harp only on the negative. I guess it makes them feel better . . .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  5. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

The last two seasons have not been good under Aston; but, it does NOT negate all the success we had under Aston the previous 5-6 seasons. But, I have accepted that a handful of posters put blinders on to downplay or ignore her successes at Texas because they want to harp only on the negative. I guess it makes them feel better . . .[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why Mooo is always so antagonistic and demeaning to anyone who doesn't share his/her opinion. I'm willing to incur his/her wrath by saying that I, for one, don't have any blinders on. Karen had several successful seasons, but she has never won any conference titles in her coaching career, and she actually seems to be regressing. We need a coach to return UT to prominence and national relevancy as they were in 2003-04. We have never gotten over the conference title slump under our recent coaching and we need a new coach to right the ship.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Always so antagonistic and demeaning? Exaggerate much? I speak the truth. Too bad if it bothers you. Deal with it. I've learned to deal with your passive-aggressive posting style.

We're ALL supposed to be able to state our opinions on this message board (or so I have been told by many posters), right? Or, are you just being hypocritical as it applies to MY posts?

Was Karen supposed to win a conference title at Texas based on a particular reason? Did she arrive at Texas with that achievement on her resume'? Were you expecting Mulkey to just roll over for her simply because some subjective recruiting sites ranked her signees highly? Get real.

I have stated several times that the program has been on the decline the last couple of seasons, and all signs point to new leadership on the way, which is the right decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

On the topic of winning conference titles, it is accurate that Aston has not won one. I know that bothers a lot of posters. Personally, I'd trade one Final Four for a conference title if I had to pick only one of those achievements. She came up one game short in reaching a Final Four.

Hypothetically, if KA had won ONE conference title (regular season or tournament) let's say like 4 years ago, would that change your current opinion of the direction the program is headed? It would not change mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  8. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I want ACC coach of the year Joanne Brenabei-McNamee, turned BC around tremendously in just her second year. Saw them play in the ACC tourney, looked VERY well coached.

9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Facts. And although I do think it’s time for a change, I’ll state what I’ve continued to say about Coach Aston’s tenure. The fact is that It’s the most successful stretch that Texas has had since they were in the Southwest conference competing for and winning conference championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I do think it's comical that Pebley is being used as some sort of measuring stick. While her background (at Fresno) was similar to Karen's, she hasn't come close to what Aston has achieved.

Even though TCU tailed off in Jeff Mittie's last few seasons, Pebley inherited a program that had a lot more prior success under Mittie than we had under Goestkenkors, and she has not come close to matching his success in her first 5 seasons. No one can use the excuse that TCU is a difficult place to win, because clearly Mittie got it done there more often than not.

Sadly, it was Chris Del Conte who hired Pebley, and I'm not a fan of that hire based on her results, the offense she runs, and her recruiting.

TCU Horned Frogs women's basketball - Wikipedia

2000–01 25–8 13–3 (1st) Jeff Mittie NCAA Second Round
    2001–02 24–7 12–2 (1st) Jeff Mittie NCAA Second Round
    2002–03 20–14 8–6 (T-5th) Jeff Mittie NCAA Second Round
    2003–04 25–7 11–3 (2nd) Jeff Mittie NCAA Second Round
    2004–05 23–10 10–4 (T-3rd) Jeff Mittie NCAA First Round
    2005–06 19–12 11–5 (T-3rd) Jeff Mittie NCAA Second Round
    2006–07 21–11 11–5 (T-2nd) Jeff Mittie NCAA First Round
    2007–08 23–12 13–3 (2nd) Jeff Mittie WNIT Quarterfinal
    2008–09 20–11 12–4 (3rd) Jeff Mittie NCAA First Round
    2009–10 22–9 12–4 (1st) Jeff Mittie NCAA First Round
    2010–11 22–11 13–3 (2nd) Jeff Mittie WNIT First Round
    2011–12 16–14 9–5 (T-3rd) Jeff Mittie n/a
    2012–13 9–21 2–16 (10th) Jeff Mittie n/a
    2013–14 18–15 8–10 (7th) Jeff Mittie WNIT 1st Round
    2014–15 18–14 9–9 (T-3rd) Raegan Pebley WNIT 2nd Round
    2015–16 18–15 8–10 (T-6th) Raegan Pebley WNIT 3rd Round
    2016–17 12–18 4–14 (9th) Raegan Pebley n/a
    2017–18 23–13 9–9 (5th) Raegan Pebley WNIT Semifinals
    2018–19 24–11 10–8 (5th) Raegan Pebley WNIT Semifinals

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure why Mooo is always so antagonistic and demeaning to anyone who doesn't share his/her opinion. I'm willing to incur his/her wrath by saying that I, for one, don't have any blinders on. Karen had several successful seasons, but she has never won any conference titles in her coaching career, and she actually seems to be regressing. We need a coach to return UT to prominence and national relevancy as they were in 2003-04. We have never gotten over the conference title slump under our recent coaching and we need a new coach to right the ship.[/QUOTE]
    I admire some posters' loyalty and their vehemently defending KA for having a couple of good seasons... I really do. My focus is, however, what a coach has done with what said coach had to work with. The first Sweet 16 followed by an Elite 8 appearance were definitely jobs well done. However, what followed was underachievement which has regressed steadily to the point of failure.
    When you stockpile your roster with top recruits the following couple of years after an Elite 8 appearance in which you had two sophomores and one freshman give mighty UConn all they could handle (all three were named to the all-regional team), that begets big expectations and rightly so.

Let the minions spin it any way they choose, it's certainly their right to have/express their own perspectives and opinions. But as I see it... We have failed those talented recruits. Keep harping on that two year blip if you will, but the fact remains -- in the words of a friend who is very knowledgeable and well-educated regarding the game, "Texas has become a talent graveyard."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps some of our signees have failed our program by not arriving in the proper physical condition to help contribute on the court during games at a level commensurate with their subjective recruiting ranking. While injuries are not something which can be controlled, that is another variable which contributes to slowing down players' development of skills, team and individual practice time, playing time, and physical conditioning. We've had a few of those.

Perhaps some of our signees did not listen to our coaches' instructions as it pertained to playing defense, shot selection, running the proper offense, boxing out for rebounds, hustling while on the court, etc.

I don't know how many times I have to state this on this message board, but subjective recruiting rankings are NOT a guarantee of success in college. They don't take into a account a player's attitude, mental toughness, or commitment to becoming better; they don't take into account balancing the academic and athletic commitment to become successful. We've had a few of those.

Being a McDonald's All-American is an individual honor; it does NOT guarantee success in college. Most of us watch those games and can quickly detect which players (who signed with Texas or other schools) are not at the skill level as their teammates. We've had a few of those.

And, signees "fitting" with the signing classes before and after them is key component in team success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Preaching today.

14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know, right? I'm such a broken record. :p

Highly-ranked recruiting classes (for those who follow recruiting) set the expectations higher for the future. But, gees, take those subjective recruiting rankings with a grain of salt. Nothing is guaranteed in sports. Why bother playing the games if the teams with the highest ranked recruiting classes (on paper) are supposed to win? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep, IMO that’s one the things that set the program back. Coach Aston over recruited the year after signing Joyner, Sug, and Jada.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I don't believe that "over recruiting" is a bad thing, especially with the new transfer portal in place, not to mention the never-ending cycle know as injuries. The cream will rise to the top.

No doubt losing the entire 2017 recruiting class (regardless of the reasons) hurt this season (as we have no juniors on the roster to provide additional maturity and leadership, not to mention their outside shooting and other skills). Not being able to bring in JUCO's or transfers to replace those juniors hurts this season and next season as well have zero fourth-year players on our roster.

• poop poop x 1
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m not a fan of over recruiting. If Coach Aston recruited a bunch of Kelsey Lang’s at their respective positions the year after signing this years senior class the program would’ve been in better shape.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

So... there will be a "resignation" at the end of this MISERABLE season. That's what I'm gathering from the comments on this thread. KA has been given a chance to save face and say it's "her decision."

Continuing to blame the players is the real broken record -- the same broken record we've been hearing from KA herself. Slice it however you want, blame whomever you want, at the end of the day it still spells FAILURE.

After all, highly ranked recruits seem to win at places like UConn, South Carolina, Oregon, BAYLOR!!! etc. The failure we have witnessed falls directly at feet of the head coach.
    Sorry not sorry. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some posters just enjoy being miserable. Same posters who think Raegan Pebley has done an above-average job at TCU despite all the facts staring them right in the face and confirming the complete opposite. Thank goodness these same posters don't have a say-so in the hiring of our next head coach; that would be a travesty.

Some posters know good and well that Karen is not at the same coaching level as Staley, Mulkey, Geno, Muffet, and others as her resume' never suggested otherwise; but, they EXPECT her to win at the same level. That just doesn't make sense; if some never believed she was the right choice to be the head coach, why would anyone be upset that she proved you right?

• poop poop x 2
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The jealousy regarding how Pebley has outdone KA (in terms of coaching up lesser talent to be able to beat a team full of HS All-Americans more than once) is hilarious and speaks volumes to the truth that can't be denied.

KA is a substandard coach.
    The end.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

If you can't recruit well, a head coach has no shot at being better than 4 years of WNIT invites, one year of no post-season play, and one NCAA invite in 6 seasons. It's great that Pebhey s coached "UP" her players to make the WNIT consistently; what a standard to be impressed by.

She's done a worse job at TCU than she did at Fresno (which is what got her the job to begin with); and, she's done a worse job than her predecessor, Jeff Mittie. Facts are facts.

Let's hire Pebley right now! $1.5 million a season? Who's on board? Don't be shy! :clap:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

There's not even a valid argument when one fails to acknowledge one team had far inferior talent but still managed to beat the more superior talented team on at least three occasions, and challenged them fiercely on several others.

If Pebley and Aston switched rosters the past five years, I guarantee you Aston would've been dominated (a la Mulkey).

The mention of Pebley sure does touch a sore spot... that in itself is admission that she's exposed Aston for the false bravado that she truly is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That’s okay.

24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If you follow coach Aston on twitter she isn’t doing any of that. She’s still following future recruits and liking etc.

25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That’s okay Pebley can stay at tcu. Texas can get someone better than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I'd much rather have a big name with a winning track record, that respects the recruiting turf in Texas and can flourish in it. Gail could coach but underestimated and couldn't recruit Texas. We don't want that mistake made again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The only thing funnier than thinking Pebley is doing a good job at TCU is thinking she'll ever be a candidate for the Texas job; she has a worse resume' than Aston (who Plonsky hired mainly because of her familiarity with Texas, not her resume') in every measurable category . After her first 5 seasons at TCU without a single NCAA tournament invite, and finishing in the bottom half of the Big 12 standings, most ADs would have fired her; she lucked out that CDC left for Texas and a new AD took over at TCU.

Adia Barnes resume' in a shorter amount of time makes Pebley look silly when you compare their achievements in their young coaching careers.

The length some posters will go to just to continue with their hate of Aston is pathetic.

• poop poop x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The length some posters go to trying to downplay KA's failures...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Acknowledging that Karen Aston was unable to maintain the level of success she created in turning around our program and making it relevant again for a handful of years doesn't have to be accompanied with hateful and insulting comments toward a coach who did her best and worked hard, especially when she has reached a low point in her career (which is why I try to refrain from doing it). But, that's what makes several posters on here feel better, apparently.

30. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

This board has changed so much. It used to be mostly fans, sometimes with plenty of critique (including from me), but without the hateful vitriol and page after page of arguing/fighting that it has now become. Now, except for Mooooooo, it has become primarily a KA hate board. I'm sure I'll be back on the board soon, but I just don't have time to get into these detailed dissertations. I guess those who do enjoy it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1