Next man/woman up ! or should I say OUT !.....

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by MajesticII, Dec 1, 2019.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Which one will you be? I've seen you speak one way then the other. Just asking for clarity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Don’t forget that the Women’s team started out with a ton of injuries...just saying...
    So don’t just let Shaka off the hook for that!

3. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Then that would mean that CDC and The University of Texas are okay with mediocrity. If that's the case, it means they don't care and everything CDC said about being Top 10 programs was nothing but lip service.... It's out of our hands...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Still hard to believe we have watched the seniors play there last game as a longhorn. Now hopefully Aston does not get her contact renewed and Texas finds a new head coach.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

No the games have been cancelled indefinitely. There will be no big 12 tournament or ncaa tournament. The athletes for both men's and womens programs are already on there way back to Austin

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

What SIGNIFICANT injuries did the women's team start out with? Joyner, Charli, Sug, Celeste, Lashaan, and Jada played in EVERY game... JoAnne only missed the second TCU game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wow.

People across the world are getting sick, and many are dying. But, you're thinking about how this deadly virus could result in indirectly saving someone's job and it "infuriates" YOU ? That has to be the most selfish and insensitive thing I've read today. Kudos. You never fail to come through on this message board.

No surprise as to who has "liked" your post. SMFH

• poop poop x 6
  8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Bring it. I'm not changing my posting style for you. Guess I'll call you "snowflake" or "wallflower". Which do you prefer?

:shrug:

• poop poop x 3
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  9. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Get a grip, people. We are in the middle of a major global public health crisis. If you want to know how bad this could be, Google the 1918 Spanish flu. Epidemic disease does not care who coaches. We should all hope that there is a basketball season in 2020-2021 and that we all are here to watch it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I've stated over and over again that I think it's time for a change. The problem is that what I Think is ultimately irrelevant in what CDC is going to do. I've also stated numerous times that his handling of Angela Kelly who was in the same exact situation as Aston but had an even worse year gives us a pretty good indication of what he's going to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

I'm as annoyed as any fan by our inconsistent play and declining national reputation. One thing I think about is ... just what dark cloud hovered over the 2017-19 recruiting and coaching period? Why did an entire class fail? Destiny, Rellah, Sedona, Chasity, Coach Tiffany ... all failed to meet expectations for various reasons. Was there a major miscalculation, lack of attention, unforseen dysfunction among them all? It seems strange to me that not one of these individuals became a valued contributor at Texas. We don't yet know if they will succeed elsewhere, with the exception of Chasity at Kentucky. We can rant all we want about player development, coaching, et al., ... just seems like bad karma that all were disappointments. Sometimes basketball life is unfair ... :hookem: (Don't forget to use hand sanitizer. :whiteflag:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Oh, we ALL know Mulkey.

This is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy it if it doesn't make you sick to your stomach. It tells us exactly who your "friend" Mulkey is . . .

Coach who had Griner stay in the closet encourages fans to punch Baylor naysayers

Coach who had Brittney Griner stay in the closet encourages fans to punch Baylor naysayers
    Kim Mulkey thinks Baylor culture is fine for women

Baylor Univ. women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey isn’t happy with how the culture at Baylor has been portrayed of late. That culture includes the cover-up of a highly publicized sexual assault by a football player and now a lawsuit alleging at least 52 rapes by 31 football players over four years.

Mulkey is having none of the chatter.

“If somebody around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face,” Mulkey told fans in a post-game speech on Saturday.

Mulkey also claimed that Baylor is “the best damned school in America.” US News & World Report ranks Baylor No. 71, making it not even one of the top two schools in Texas.

It’s at the same time surprising and predictable, coming from Mulkey. Brittney Griner wrote about the atmosphere of fear Mulkey creates for LGBT athletes, allegedly pushing Griner to stay in the closet while she was there. Emily Nkosi wrote about the atmosphere as well, wishing she had done something about it while she was at Baylor.

Until recently, Baylor had a policy banning homosexuality.

Mulkey expressed regret about her comment.

The fact that Mulkey wants people to punch anyone who says the atmosphere at Baylor is anything less than wonderful for women is, no matter how you look at it, very sad.

For a lot of LGBT people — and now many people concerned about the atmosphere for women on Mulkey’s team — that doesn’t begin to cover the environment of fear she has allegedly helped create (and now dismiss) at Baylor.

• poop poop x 2
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You and I typically see things similarly.

I've stated before that I don't think Karen wants to continue being a head coach. So, there might not be a decision for CDC to make. We'll see.

I would not compare her contract expiration situation similar to Angela Kelly, who I believe still had 1-2 years remaining when Plonsky extended her by a few more years despite very subpar seasons at Texas (way worse than Aston) . But, I would more closely compare her situation to that of former softball head coach, Connie Clark, who CDC did not renew and just let her contract expire after the final season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You may be right on a Kelly. It looks as if she actually got a pay raise.

15. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Oops, there he goes again....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Let's see...I said you were demeaning, then you got upset and threw out snowflake and wallflower. You do get the irony, don't you. LMAO!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Wow, your selective memory is in full gear this morning. You chose to omit several exchanges in between those remarks you're listing. The only irony here is what a hypocrite you are.

You stated a lot more than "demeaning". Don't tell me you forgot what you dished out to me BEFORE I replied to you. And, now you're playing the victim? You seem to like to dish it out, but can't take what's thrown back your way.

I know you'll try to spin things again, but try not to let the facts (listed in chronological order below) hit you where it hurts:

Wednesday post by you:
    Mooo is always so antagonistic and demeaning

Wednesday post by me:
    I've learned to deal with your passive-aggressive posting style.

Thursday post by me:
    Hello passive-aggressive poster.

Thursday post by you:
    I said you were demeaning and antagonistic...if I were diagnosing you, it would be arrogant and narcissistic. So you can keep referring to me as passive-aggressive henceforth, and I'll just call you arrogant-narcissistic instead of Mooo.

Thursday post by me:
    I'm not changing my posting style for you. Guess I'll call you "snowflake" or "wallflower". Which do you prefer?

• poop poop x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know, right? Replying to a post on a public discussion board, and stating an opinion that it was selfish and insensitive. By all means, alert the church elders.

• poop poop x 1
  19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm curious as to how you arrived at that conclusion. It seems that only Karen herself, someone very close to her, or one who is deeply invested inside the WBB program would be able to say that.

Again, just curious...:idk:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. I’m not buying that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

I am a big fan of Coach Aston. In earlier years, injuries hurt the playoff runs. This year, the transfers hurt her. She still does well in recruiting but the package often does not come together with bigs and guards. Losing Mays and Thompson set her back. I hated the athletics budget cuts that got rid of Fran Harris and the fan outreach. Aston is a tough coach and she is very demanding -- not too different from Mulkey. Almost no freshmen are ready to play in this league but they do not want to wait or they get promises from the other coaches. Most transfers out have not done well in other places but it is hard to convince them to trust the process.

The last big name, Coach G, could not recruit Texas at all. If Aston can get us to the tourney and hire one or two excellent assistants, I think we would be in better shape than throwing darts at a big name. I am a man and I do not want a male coach for the program. CoVid 19 lets CDC give her another year. Get to the tourney and go three rounds and everyone will be happy again. The Coach G years were horrible.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

There's that "new" mystery minion again. As if...
    FOH :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Okay, trying to sift through all this and pick only the most important battles ...

"If Aston can get us to the tourney and hire one or two excellent assistants"

Uh, she **barely** was gonna get this team to the tourney, despite having 4 seniors of whom 3 where ranked #2, #6 and #7 in their respective classes, plus a sophomore who was #2 in her class.

Do you honestly think she will fare better with next year's team, without all those experienced and talented seniors? Do you honestly think she's capable of taking a less talented and less experienced team "three rounds" in the tourney (that would mean Elite 8) (edit: or maybe you mean win 2 games and lose the 3rd)?

What indication has she given that she is capable of hiring excellent assistant coaches who can provide the type of knowledge and expertise she clearly lacks?

I wanted Karen to succeed as much as anyone, and I believed in her for a good while, but no. Just no. She doesn't have the stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Silver lining: Baylor ended its season with a loss. :smokin:

Well it’s been fun folks. See you next year!

:bevo:

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

She HAD some very good assistants but...

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Happy Saturday everyone! :tap:

Texas athletes, coaches come to grips with stoppage, all wonder what’s next | Hookem.com

What about men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart’s status? He could not be reached Friday. What about Aston, who’s in the final year of her contract?

“I’m anticipating being the coach at the University of Texas,” Aston said. “The time will come when I’ll sit down with (Del Conte) and we’ll talk about the future of my program, my staff, but this isn’t the right time.”

Aston paused and noted, Things that we think are important are on the back burner right now.”

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Like I said, there’s going to be some disappointed people :shrug:

28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, one thing is for sure... speaking for myself I definitely couldn't be MORE disappointed in the program than I already am. If CDC keeps her, a person who can't even keep us in the top 25 to 35 with the type of talent she had, then he really doesn't give a ****.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Well, this would certainly seem to undermine the hypothesis that she doesn't want to continue coaching.

This could mean different things. It could simply mean that CDC has been keeping it all close to the vest -- which is exactly what a lot of ADs do in a situation where they plan to make a change after the season. We can't know for sure until we see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

If you’re a coach worried about what the AD might do and about not getting another contract I don’t think you use the words anticipating or my program.