NFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rick mueller, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I hope we feature CJ and Duvernay in the passing game so that they go high in the draft not to mention good production for us this season. I say Duvernay gets drafted before CJ because of speed and reliable hands. But he needs the ball thrown to him. I anticipate Sam doing a better job getting the ball to him. CJ has the most pub but I think Duvernay is better.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Metrics, metrics, metrics - they are ruining sports theory that most of us grew up with. Moving players along in MLB is no more. Instead play for the big inning relying on guys who have 5+ K's for every hit to deliver. That is like weathermen who never look outside. You have to look at production and heart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I think another season with 80 plus catches and a bowl victory would of definitely hyped Humphrey to be draftable regardless of 40 times. Especially if we made it to the tourney.
    I'm sure he would of had more fun too. Oh well, I think he'll play in the NFL regardless.
    NFL management is a massive amount of group think and group dynamics coming into play, set off by Heisman trophys, low 40 times, shuttle runs, and prairie fire hype. In Humphreys case it went the other way, even though every coach in the Big 12 knows he Is a stud player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I guess it’s important to you to pay close attention to what guys do with their penis, huh?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

How did you come up with that out of what he said? It's hard not to pay close attention to what's being shoved in your face.....by the media. :smile1:

6. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm pretty confident that our two best receivers will indeed be featured in our passing game... :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm kind of interested to see how the backs and TEs shake the passing game up a little. I thought that we had the right idea giving Ingram looks in the flats, like his TD against OK State. He can make at least one guy miss and pick up easy yardage for us.

If Brewer and Leitao aren't up for that Beck-style role in 2019, Liebrock looks like a friggin' beast. I think Epps might also play a little "big 5th receiver" like Dan Buckner did in our national championship game year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Its a football thread about the NFL draft and he had to infer that homosexual = inferior. Also WTF does the media have to do with it? Have an original thought.

10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Lighten up Sally. That was the main story being reported for months just focusing on a homosexual being drafted by an NFL team. If they, THE MEDIA, would have left out the gay part no one would have cared about his story and it certainly wouldn't have been mentioned in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Looks like you're the one paying close attention to that, chango.

And btw, all I did was state a FACT. What's wrong with that, sensitive dude?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Because if you had mentioned that more players from Saginaw Valley State were drafted than Texas Longhorns, then it would have been a comparison based on the relative strength of the schools. By phrasing it in a way that talks about sexuality (blaming the media for this is asinine), you're implying that it's either comedic or lesser or both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

You're correct...And had I mentioned Saginaw Valley State had more players drafted than Texas Longhorns (as they did), I still would be implying it's comedic, lesser or both. And both of those statements are still FACTS.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

No its not, because it's what happened. What is asinine is the media overhyping the abilities of a gay man because he's gay. Look how fast that dude flamed out. If he wasn't gay would he have been drafted at all? Maybe, but I bet his draft stock improved because the media wouldn't let it not happen. Somebody had to draft him or the media would have immediately turned it around on the NFL as being homophobic. Some of those douche canoes tried to claim homophobia after he got cut. It's sickening when the gay part should have just been left out of it and let the process work itself out. Now here we are arguing about whether it's insensitive to talk about it. BS! It happened, it was celebrated, he flamed out now he's being pointed out.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

What's comedic about a homosexual football player?
    You seem to be implying he is less of a human being/player just as you would be implying that Saginaw Valley State is less of a school.
    And the media didn't force you to post that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's refreshing when someone lets you know how they really feel about something.

His draft status was harmed by coming out as gay. He wasn't taken until the end of the 7th round after being the SEC Defensive PoY... an award that he won before he came out. I'll disagree with those who stated he was only cut because he was gay (he was a tweener; undersized for his position and not an NFL edge rusher like he played at Mizzou), but we're not arguing about whether it's insensitive to TALK about it. It's insensitive to compare something (not being taken in the draft) as "worse" than Michael Sam's sexual orientation.

17. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

18. I_Dont_Exist

He may well have been Big 12 player of the tthe year, I don't remember, but he was never thought of as a high round prospect. His sexual orientation was never a concern of mine as it was never any of my business.

19. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

My original post said there were more homosexuals drafted than Texas Longhorns.

It's a fact that shows you what a pathetic state we were in.

What's wrong with that? If you want to be a moondick or hyper sensitive have at it.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  20. I_Dont_Exist

The point is players should be judged by their ability and nothing else.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  21. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Yeah ok...

do you blame any NFL team for that?
    Afterall it is real life and a business. What would you do if you owned a team?

I would bet the same exact thing.

22. I_Dont_Exist

Why would I turn my back on a great player? Sam was considered a 6th-7th round player from the word go.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lawrence Phillips says "hello" along with a few other murderers, and a bunch of wife beaters.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. I_Dont_Exist

Okay I should have been more specific. Criminals belong in different category.

25. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Michael Sam made it into something. He should of kept what he does in the bedroom to himself-just like everyone else.
    On another note-
    College football is so much better than pro football because desire and coaching offsets abilities. I watched the first half of Texas vs OU and the all pro line at OU didn't impress me. I thought Vahe outplayed most of them. Their TE Karsten Meier out blocked them all, and made a great catch, but he wasn't drafted either. A lot of great college players didn't get drafted. Our RB-Watson-- was really great this year so was K-State's and both didn't get taken, but the Iowa State back did. I personally thought Evans was the best big back in the conference and Watson was the best all around.

In otras palabras---- what the pros want doesn't translate into college-period.

26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

So you're saying he should have stayed in the closet where he belonged?
    Anytime an oppressed minority, be it racial, sexual or whatever, breaks through a barrier of some sort it's going to be news.
    It may not mean much to you or you may not even want to know about it, but it means a lot to them and others like them.
    Now, hopefully we reach a point where it isn't news.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Vol Horn 4 Life

No, coming out is fine but he shouldn't have run the media circuit non stop for attention either. He played into the hype. Tiger Woods is a perfect example saying he's not a social justice warrior he's just a golfer trying to win. I don't ever recall him taking sides on racial issues and that's the one thing the media had hoped he would do. He let his talents talk and not his race. Sam should have focused on his game instead of promoting his sexuality however I blame the media for putting a young man in that position anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The Big 12 DPOY, who also had better stats at the same position, wasn't drafted at all.

29. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

So which race is Tiger? I would say he is a member of the human race. In Thailand (and much of Asia) Tiger is not considered African American. After all, 50% of his DNA comes from his mom.

30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Well, the race issues the media consistently asks about is African American. I have no idea how he identifies himself. Also, I have never seen "Human" on any document that asks for my race. Good try though.