NFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rick mueller, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Look out football here we come! Houston Texans number one!

Neither Colt nor Vince winning the heisman really made me lose complete interest in it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Colt also didn't have a TE once Finley left early and Irby was injured, or an actual ballcarrier playing RB when Charles left early. As dominant as those 2008-09 teams were, they kind of hinged on the success of how open Shipley was and how well our defense was playing that day.

• Like Like x 3
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Enjoy Mr. Williams season this year, because (barring injury) we will not see him wearing Burnt Orange in 2018. First round money is too good to pass up.

• Like Like x 2
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think once D'onta cashes his first check from the Texans, and realizes he can exponentially increase that with a couple of good years, his pass blocking will significantly improve.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ns-earn-first-round-selections-2018-nfl-draft

"Despite a long history of producing pro talent, the Longhorns haven't been the same NFL factory over the past few years.

Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foreman ended up as the only Texas player drafted this past weekend, marking the second straight year the Longhorns earned just one selection.

But things are looking up for Texas' NFL prospects. While former head coach Charlie Strong struggled to produce wins, he managed to load the burnt orange's roster with future pros.

Here's a look at Texas' top-5 draft prospects for 2018. *Denotes potential early entry

5. Poona Ford, DT
    While not on the draft radar yet, Ford is a breakout candidate to watch as the Longhorns prepare for their 2017 season. The 310-pound defensive tackle should be a fixture in defensive coordinator Todd Orlando's defense this season, and a big year could vault him into the NFL conversation.

4. Chris Warren III, RB*
    Warren missed most of his sophomore season with a knee injury, but the Rockwall native is loaded with potential. The 6-3, 250-pound running back is a force through contact, averaging 6.3 yards on 133 career carries. Warren should get a full workload in 2017, so expect a big season from the tailback.

3. Holton Hill, CB*
    Hill took a step back after a promising freshman season, shuffling in and out of the Longhorns' starting secondary in 2016. Still, the 6-3 corner possesses all the physical tools NFL scouts will look for. If he can return to his freshman year form, Hill may hear his name called before he reaches his senior season.

2. Connor Williams, LT*
    One of the few blue-chip prospects on Texas' roster, Williams is projected by many to be a first-round pick in 2018. The former three-star recruit has started every game in his two years in Austin. At 6-6, Williams is coming off an All-America season, earning a reputation as one of the nation's top pass protectors. Don't be surprised if the Coppell native is a top-10 pick next spring.

1. Malik Jefferson, OLB*
    The former No. 1 recruit in the state is regarded as the face of the Longhorns for good reason. Jefferson earned Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2016 before finishing second-team All-Big 12 as a sophomore. The Poteet product is moving back to his natural position on the edge this season, and it could solidify him as the first linebacker off the board in 2018.

7. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I thought KD Cannon was a true sophomore last season? Also I didn't know Speed Noil and Ricky Seals-Jones declared early.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ricky Seals-Jones, using all that wealth of wisdom imparted by that cretin of classlessness and subhuman behavior, Eric Dickerson, came out early and didn't get drafted. Maybe aTm lowered his mother's payments because of his lack of production, or the Aggies refused to "upgrade" his ride, but some kids just won't listen once these street agents get their ear and convince them how much money they are going to get. There is a law, but until one of these kids sues the agent(s) feeding them this crap, these worthless pieces of crap will continue to ruin the lives of young men to feed their own egos.

We have had our own do it to our own, so I can't be too sanctimonious, but never miss a chance to point the finger at certain people, and Dickerson is on that list.

9. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Dickerson was also key in getting him to de-commit from UT and go to a$m in the first place.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil,

Did he ever "commit" to Texas? If he did, his mother and aunt sure weren't aware of it. Besides, Dickerson thought it would sooth the Aggie's pain over that incident involving their TransAm. :beertoast:

11. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Jefferson needso to get stronger and make some tackles. Saw him get she'd by ball carriers all last year.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Full list of our players invited to 2018 NFL Combine

[​IMG]

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I saw Mayock listed Connor Williams as the #3 OT

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes but does that help him in pass coverage?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Then they weren't as he was definitely a commit for awhile. No question in my mind.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of pass coverage .....

• Like Like x 2
  18. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Do not like the leaving early...
    Funny, no bad players you wont miss leave early.
    :confused2::idk:

19. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hill's high rating does not surprise me.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’m assuming this is repeat from earlier that’s airing now on nfl network but they just said Charlie recruited him as a tight end originally

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some call the NFL Combine the 'Underwear Olympics'

I dont rmbr the 'Charlie thought he was a tight end' part, but I did hear Mack wanted him at safety

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I wonder what was the cops 40 time that sacked his ***

24. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

You mean his 5 feet time?

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is one of the OTs ranked ahead of Connor Williams
    Orlando Brown left ou early to post an official 5.85 40 yard dash in the Underwear Olympics
    19" vertical
    just 14 reps on bench
    and was yelled at by coaches during drills for loafing
    McShay called it a "historically bad day"

• Like Like x 1
  26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I hope somebody gives this kid a chance

• Like Like x 2
  27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

:facepalm:
    I am 57 and overweight not in the greatest of health and I think I could beat that time!:facepalm:

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I watched this run live.
    It was like he could barely lift his feet off the ground.

29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I could beat that time too, and I would not have flab going in 7 different directions at once while I ran.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1