NFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rick mueller, Apr 28, 2017.

1. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Not surprised about Malik, but I saw that Conner was the 4th rated OT in the draft. Interestingly, three OT's were taken last night, none of them with the initials CW.
    Conner will get picked, but I suspect it will be a blood bath for the other players who left UT early.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I totally believe perception of program has ALOT to do with this. When you booboo the way UT has, it takes a bit to recover and rebuild confidence. I'd say UT is trending up but NFL scouts and execs are in a "show-me" mindset right now with UT and cautiously eyeing the program. I think we are reestablishing and current and incoming players will start to be drafted higher if they perform on the field.
    And as for a few of these guys...It is something going on not just at UT but elsewhere, also....A lot of guys are simply just overhyped...and NFL guys can see through this. We just happen to be closer to these guys and are paying more attention, so we don't see the fact that this happens -and is happening everywhere.
    Then you've got the guys going pro who aren't necessarily overhyped by anyone other than themselves...and we have a couple of those, too, as Mr.Mueller alluded to.
    I expect a few of our guys to go today..at least 3..we'll see...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nothing has really changed. Williams was never going in Round 1 due to his junior year injury without surgery. The pros know the issue and prefer surgery so they will not have to pay for it in dollars and missed playing time. Thus, Williams actually left money on the table by going early.
    Jefferson cannot pass defend so he will be drafted as a project, but since he has not shown any improvement in that area over his years at Texas, going early was about all he could do. All of the other underclassmen should have stayed in school.
    These guys hear what they want to hear so all some agent has to do is whisper something in the ear of a person trusted by the player and off they go. The threshold should be Top 5 or consensus first at your position; not first round.

• Like Like x 5
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

From purely financial standpoint, if you are going to get picked in first three rounds as a football player it makes sense to go because you never get back that lost year of earnings and the threat of injury makes risk-reward skewed. The only reason to come back is if you can improve your draft slot so much that you make up two full years earnings, the lost year and the extra year under the rookie contract you now have before you get to real money in second contract.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  6. D Henry

D Henry < 25 Posts

All were advised not to enter the draft by NFL and UT coaching personnel. Most of them placed a big bet that may or may not pay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Surrounding himself with "Yes" men and sycophants just makes it worse.

• Like Like x 5
  8. RainH2burntO

If he is that smart then he will draft Poona as a steal later to plug that interior......currently projected at 7-8...what a joke. (I personally think he'll go sooner)
    :hookem:

9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Just glad he's going to the cesspool where QB's go to die. No way he has the arm strength to be #1, regardless of other intangibles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

BINGO! That's a Solid Post Viper! Those were my thoughts about both guys situations. I agree, another year, with improved productivity by all those guys who jumped early, save for our Punter, may have been beneficial for them to move up in the draft and sign for much better money. I can understand to some extent, the "I was injured and don't want to risk another injury that might end my career" attitude. But too many of these guys and there parents in many cases are swayed by agents and some of the draft prognosticators by big money contracts and signing bonuses a high level pick brings. With a very few exceptions, I think some will be undrafted free agents hoping for an invite to a camp and might end up as a scout team player, which pays pretty good money but lacks the fame and glory they and their families ultimately seek.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Which is exactly what people like him do.

• Like Like x 3
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

The fact that BM (think about that acronym) is going to Cleveland made my day. And when he flames out it will be another enjoyable day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

From their college production, one would have thought there was a prospect among Colt McCoy, Johnny Manziel or Robert Griffin---now Baker Mayfield. Some of the best the State of Texas has put out recently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Think he has asked Johnny Effing Flunkie whether the cops can run in Cleveland? Or where the best hookup is for recreational pharmaceuticals?

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

No, but this is Cleveland you are talking about. Taking SMART picks with that annual first selection has never been their strong suit...

16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Put in a system that allowed him to just manage games instead of having to have top-shelf arm strength, Colt could have had more productivity. He ain't flashy at that level, but he got results when given an opportunity and a modicum of protection.

But...he ALSO didn't flame out...not much playing time, but the head still seems to be there and he was collecting the bucks even as a clipboard carrier. Long-time CC's have shown an ability to land in coaching spots as well...

• Like Like x 1
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

ROUND 2. Browns: Austin Corbett - Guard Nevada

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Wouldn’t it be something if Michael Dickson was the first Longhorn taken?

19. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I think teams are scared of Connor Williams knee. He seems to be falling.

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wow! The guy announcing the Philly draft pick just took a great shot at Dallas, and how none of the frat eligible player weren’t born the last time the Cowboys won a SB.

21. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

C Williams to Dallas.

• Like Like x 6
  22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Think I’m going to go ahead and buy that jersey

• Like Like x 2
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Conner is Dallas Cowboy y'all!!!

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Disappointing to hear Priest Homes get booed
    I guess its all the sooners in Dallas?

• Like Like x 1
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

That's my thought.

27. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Compare Connor’s reaction to waiting to get drafted to Josh Rosen’s reaction. #Class vs. #A$$

• Like Like x 3
  28. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Typical Philly fan... can't handle success with class, respect or dignity.

However, the Iggles do have some class , unfortuenately ALL of it is LOW!

• Like Like x 2
  29. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Some of them. Then you have the TT gang of haters and always the little brother aggies. Penis envy among all.
    Priest has too much class to let those sickos bother him.

• Like Like x 2
  30. RainH2burntO

• Like Like x 3