NFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rick mueller, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Curious when the UCF linebacker comes off the board. I was hoping the Texans would pick him. Maybe with the 98th pick

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Congrats Malik! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  3. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Well, it's not that simple. If you move up from the 3rd round to the 2nd it's substantial. After the 3rd it's not that big as it drops off.

"Things really drop in the second round, where the average contract was worth about $5.1 million over four years ($1.3 million per year), according to Spotrac.com, but with only half of that guaranteed. The value of third-round contracts drops to $3.3 million, but takes an even bigger hit in guaranteed value, with the average contract worth just $756,000 in guaranteed money."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-draft-contract-values-2017-4

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Texans have a high 4th rounder, no 5th rounder, then three 6th rounders. Maybe one of those 6ths? Seems like he could be a ST demon if nothing else (not that the Texans need help on ST or anything, lol)

• Like Like x 1
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

It will be interesting to see if the Cowboys give Deshon Elliott a sniff in the 4th. Heck, go ahead and add Poona later and instantly improve overall team chemistry. Both positions of need but doubt it, though the Elliott take has been circulated at least some.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Well, I wonder if we have a shot at a Longhorn being this year's "Mister Irrelevant?"

7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I wondered that also because they do need a safety

8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

9. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Almost pulled a 50 cent

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Nah!

11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Dickinson to Seattle

• Like Like x 1
  12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, as suspected Elliott and Hill are falling and their decisions to go pro look worse and worse with each new pick. I had no problem with Williams, Jefferson and Dickson’s choices but those two were extreme reaches. Poona is going to make someone look really good for getting him in a late round.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Bruce Dickinson?

• Like Like x 1
  14. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Same for Warren, but I think we all pretty much agreed that he was not even a long reach to get drafted.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  16. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Deshon should have stayed...yes, but he was pretty much a consensus 4th rounder projected...circumstantiality just fell further. Holton should have stayed to clean up perception issues: teams like his skills but have him pegged as a bad apple personally. Poona is being underestimated.
    I see Dallas just took a QB with both Poona and Elliott sitting there at positions of need. I don't like it.
    Question: If you were an NFL exec of a team with needs on interior defensive line and at safety would you pick Poona or Elliott if both available??

• Like Like x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Poona yes; Elliott no.

• Like Like x 1
  18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Elliott to the ravens

• Like Like x 1
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I thought Elliott should have stayed because he didn’t have much game film and had holton played the full year I think he would have went no later than 2nd round but like many others have said before if they old enough to go fight a war by all means go get paid

• Like Like x 2
  20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Cock of the walk baby!

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Deshon is too slow and not physical enough to play S in the NFL. His near-Thorpe season was basically a handful of bad throws by QBs making him look like an All-Pro. He should have stuck around and improved, but it's kind of obvious who the "Chuck Strong" guys are versus the ones who want to actually make Texas better.

Holton Hill just falls into the dumb category. Someone published that he had 7 failed drug tests. He's more talented than about half of the corners taken in the draft, except between the ears.

I was surprised about Poona. Nearly everyone had him rated as a steal, and I have no doubt he'll make a squad and probably suit up this season.

• Like Like x 5
  22. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I don't want to be a tattooed millionaire!---that dude IS Maiden!!

23. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Made me smile, thx for sharing !!

24. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I don’t believe the 7 failed drug test from hill at all. No way Herman would have let him stick around that long

• Like Like x 1
  25. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Hughes to the packers, Foreman and hill to the Vikings and Poona to Seattle udfa

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  26. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Antwaun Davis to the lions udfa

• Like Like x 1
  27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Texas has 4 guys drafted and 6 UDFAs headed to NFL teams. Ten total, not bad!

• Like Like x 1
  28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Chris Warren III not drafted, and no UDFA contract that I could find.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  29. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Jason hall to Seattle as well

• Like Like x 1
  30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Warren is a guy that you would think/hope the rules could accomodate and allow to enroll in college and retain his eligibility.

• Like Like x 1