NFL Draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rick mueller, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Not if he hired an agent. Warren screwed the pooch. Hello Canada.

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yeah... but it seems this is the type of thing they should tweak. But if he dropped out of school mid-semester of course would the university (in general) let him back in with a pile of incompletes or 0.00 (Bluto Blutarsky) from the spring semester?

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

True, but the rule is “once you jump, you can’t jump back.” Any player thinking about declaring early, needs to get some sound advice and not listen to buddies, agents and talking head prognosticators.

• Like Like x 3
  4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I hear you. I just think about my son who is twenty one years old and at this point he is trying to figure things out. It's just not that easy when a football player is pumped up from early on in their life by everyone around them. We see how glorified they are in high school. They rule the roost. They need a rational adult around them but if they are the parents meal-ticket then they probably get pushed. This isn't what I would call a societal problem. It's just an observation. I don't know what happened to Chris. He seemed to have things going just two years ago or so and now this. Something happened that shouldn't have happened.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He knew the rules so no. He was never the player that he should have been. Whether the lack of coaching by Strong or the position shift by Herman (which was the correct call), Warren just never blossomed past high school where he was the biggest and fastest on the field.

6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I think somebody will give warren a shot just because of his dad and Charlie not saying it will be enough for him to make the roster but he will sign with a team

7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Walk-on for Cowboys at TE? Ha...

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

He could do worse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

My perception is that some (not all) of the early departures were due to some chafing under the high pressure TH culture. IF NFL people had that same sense, that is huge red flag for them. The old saying that "if you think your professors are demanding, wait till you have a boss," comes to mind. Anyone who thinks college football is too hard is not going to flourish in the NFL.

• Like Like x 5
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Parents...yeah. Not all but a number see the kid as their ticket to easy street. Education? Degree? Who needs that crap! Get playing time, get good stats, do three and go to the league. Parents looking at their kid as their ticket to easy street are disgusting, and seem to have the belief that, if the kid does make it to the League, then the kid’s money is their money. They like schools that tell them their son or daughter will start and get all the reps or whatever. I have no desire to associate with parents of that ilk. None.

I’m always suspect of players/recruits that don’t want to redshirt, want to be “the guy” and start day one. If they have that attitude and don’t want to play special teams, learn how to properly play a position or switch to another position where they are needed, then they aren’t a team player and are too self important. Day one starters are rare but occasionally a kid comes along with the talent and skills, to be a day one guy.

Some others don’t like to compete. Maybe due to friends and family chirping in their ear how great they are, no competition in HS at their position, teachers let them slide on grades, and for some reason they don’t want to compete against a veteran player, or, and this is the statement I love, “if this guy gets offered and goes there, I’m going somewhere else.” What does that tell you about them?

• Like Like x 5
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

:arrow-up: Well said BJ

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That was an expensive 'get high' session by Hill
    i wonder how he looks back at it all? Does he even consider how much money he lost himself? Does he admit that he made a bad choice/bad decision? Or does he just have another smoke and forget about it?
    As of this point in time, any type long term future in the NFL looks to be beyond his grasp. Too bad

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CB Holton Hill and WR Armanti Foreman to Minnesota.

DT Poona Ford to Seattle.

CB Antwuan Davis to Detroit

S Jason Hall to Seattle.

DE Naashon Hughes to Green Bay

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Australia with the assist

• Like Like x 1
  15. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Only difference is the boss is paying them around 400k a year minimum

• Like Like x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don’t know. If he was smart, he would have looked at what it cost him, disciplined himself, got his butt in gear, and come back to have a great senior year. But, he seem to be one of those “it’s all about me” types, and convinced himself he’s as good or better than the NFL veterans at his position, so, he jumped. He might Still make an NFL team, but if he can’t hack it, there’s always the CFL and the arena league.

17. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I don’t understand Poona not going earlier. It has to be his size. I will bet the house on him having a long and successful career. His motor has been running hard and fast for four years and he has been a difference maker in many games. His leaderhip has been exemplary and he gives all he has on every play. My favorite.

Some of these other guys just have an inflated self worth, and like many I have seen in the business world, they have to make a move and get a bloody nose to get a sense of reality. And sometimes it is awfully costly. I am especially disappointed in Warren. He got a position change last year that allowed him to excel, and had he come back and built on that, it was his best chance for a place in the big tent. I wonder if he thought the move was an insult and not how he should have been used. If so, he was dead wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Is it just me or does it seem like certain teams are more inclined to draft players from Texas? Minnesota, Detroit, Cincinnati and Seattle (in the Carroll era) come to mind.

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

It seems as though the League is great at “measurables,” and not very good at evaluating intangibles, like heart, motivation, and drive. Brady is the classic example, having been overlooked. He’s spent his whole career proving that the league made a mistake. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford (snubbed for his size) and Conner W (bullied as a kid) both have long and very productive careers. On the other end of the spectrum, VY (who we all love) came in with an entitlement mentality, and it probably cost him a great career and millions of dollars.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yeah, agreed. I, also, wonder if his dad had anything to do with Chris' decision. Maybe Jr. thought the NFL would "remember" him and transfer that to III.

21. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Yes Godz.
    And Chris put out a few timely posts with he and his dad doing some charity work on the eve of the draft...and it all started adding up for me.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Pete Carroll likes him some Longhorns

23. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

and USC Trojans.

24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Has he drafted a lot of Trojans? I guess when you’ve coached at a successful university you’re going to be biased towards those players.

25. Seattle Husker

Probably more UDFA's than draft picks. Looking back I found that Carrol Rasheem Green this year is only Carrol's 2nd Trojan picked in the draft (Malcom Smith the other). That number surprised me since it seems they have at least a few rookies brought to camp each year.

26. Seattle Husker

Incidentally, I'm wondering what the drafting of Will Dissly fortells for Tyronne Swoopes. He looked good in limited action but with the departure of Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson it's clear that the 'Hawks are valuing blocking over receiving in their TEs. I suspect they see the lack of blocking TE's as hampering their running game, or they simply need to cover for former Aggie Germaine Ifedi who is pretty close to being labeled a bust.

They have 4 on their roster now:
    - Nick Vanett: 3rd yr player who was drafted in the 3rd round from Ohio St. He's been a distant 3rd TE in his first 2 years. 15 career catches, 12 last season.
    - Ed Dickson: RFA from Carolina. More of a blocker than receiver.
    - Swoopes: Active for 1 game last year, no catches.
    - Will Dissly: 4th round pick but billed as the best blocking TE in the draft. 6'4" 265lbs converted from DT 2yrs ago at U of Washington.

27. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

Anyone know why I can't see tweets? I'm on an up-to-date Mac using Firefox.
    BTW, it's clearly a Firefox issue, because tweets come up fine on Safari. Me no likey or have patience for tech support issues these days...

28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I don’t use Firefox much but I just launched it to see if tweets are loading, and they are.

This is what I get on the About Firefox page. You’re on the same version? Any ad blockers running?

I mostly use Safari, Chrome, and Opera these days.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 7.45.54 AM.png

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. Seattle Husker

With the draft now only 7 rounds, down from 12, that's a safe bet to last forever.